Status Effects and Buff/Debuff Rates

Lowell

The Walking Atelier
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I'm at a point where I'm fine-tuning my ailments, positive states, etc and wanted some insight from the players side.

At the time of me writing this, I have about 25 ailments divided into five groups (Incapacitation, Physical, Mental, Special, and Binds). I know the number seams a bit staggering however each of them have a very distinct effect and role in battle.

That aside, I want to get into a lesser modified portion of VX Ace, the Buff/Debuff effects. I currently have the ability to not only set individual growth rates for each stat, but I can also limit how many times each of them need to be applied before they're maxed so I wanted to know.

Would you have a rather long rate before they're maxed (10 Times, like Final Fantasy) where the growth rates are small between each update, or a smaller rate with more significant growth rates (Planning on using 4 to 5 times before hitting max. somewhat similar to Bravely Default)

Personally I think a smaller chain of about 4 before hitting the max buff/debuff would lessen the time in battle and give a particular character more to do instead of repeating the same skill for 10 or so turns.

kerbonklin

Hiatus King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally dislike the Buff/Debuff concept that RM provides, and I strictly use states instead. Even with something like Yanfly Buff Manager, it feels too limited. If I wanted to stack buffs/debuffs, I would just use a state-stacking script since states can do a lot more.

Anyways, if there is a high # of applications before a buff/debuff can be maxed out on a battler, then there should probably be many ways to apply that buff/debuff.  High-stacked amounts would also need possible balancing.

I say smaller rate with more significant growth. (unless you'll have many ways to proc it and stack it quickly)

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd say your buff/debuff rates should revolve around your game itself.  If you're using high stats (as in, level one puts you at 50 or 70 Attack power), then you may want to have smaller numbers with the possibility of stacking more buffs.  However, if you're like me and want small stats (as in, level one puts you at maybe 15 Attack power, max), then stacking fewer buffs for larger gains is the way you'd want to go.  A boost of 75% to Attack Power when your Attack is only 10, only drags it up to like 17.  That number could be the difference between life and death, but who knows?  In the context of my game, that extra 7 points really only translates into something like 4-8 extra damage by mashing "Attack".

So, honestly, you need to find the balance for your game.  There's no big universal way to do it, or even a preferred way.  It needs to work for you and make sense in the context of your game and combat.  If large buffs that can't stack very high turns out to be too powerful, then change it.  If small buffs that can stack really high turn out to be too weak, then you need to change it.

You're really kind of asking about how to design your battle system for balance.  So, you need to do some test battles.  Lots of them.  No less than say 50 with varying stats and against different enemies.  When you're done figuring out what strikes the best balance, you then need another 50 or 100 fights with those new stats in order to see if it's "fun" to a player.  Yes, you need to test for fun.  If you find you can't be objective about your own project (who in their right mind can?), then I suggest recruiting a friend to help you out (lord knows I do...).  If you find you can't trust them 'cause they know you too well, tell them that you're helping out someone you know online and need some honest feedback on it.  You need to have people test if what you do to your battle system is "fun".  Especially if you've put that much work into it.  If it doesn't turn out to be "fun" or "engaging" enough, then your work is kind of in vain.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Another comic with Backstage Malak...
If you want to ask him anything, you can ask on my DeviantArt page! I'm not sure if you're allowed to do it here.
Forum tip of the day ...
If you get a temporary suspension for being a jerk to people who are trying to help you, and arguing with mods and admins, don't go making new accounts. Chances are, if you p**s us off enough to suspend you for a week, we're not going to hesitate giving you a permanent ban when you give us a reason.
E_6fAErVkAQILXu.png
I'm so close to releasing my game on steam! :blush::blush::blush:
Us:
"This game is awesome! I wish there are more games like this in the future."
Also us:
"I hate how games stopped being original and start copying other successful games."
Should've done this a few days ago but...
PRI_200136808.jpg
Rest in Peace, Sir Clive Sinclair
1940 - 2021
Entrepreneur, Technologist, Father of the Modern British Computing Industry, and protagonist of Legend of ZUN.

Without you, England's games and tech industry wouldn't be where it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badalias