Status effects with similar attributes

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Jaide, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Jaide

Jaide "This guy are sick." Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I know there have been several status effect topics before, but this one is somewhat specific: How best should a developer go about implementing different types of status effects that are basically variations on "poison"?

Let me explain.

In my game I wanted to have a corrosive damage type, which acts as a poison and is very effective against armored enemies or machines. I realize realistically, corrosive damage is also very effective against flesh, but I want to avoid having damage types that just work against everything, y'know?

But then I also thought about having a burn damage, which would probably also be slip damage in nature.. but it doesn't have to be. And I suppose I could just have some enemies susceptible to burn rather than corrosive damage.

Lastly, I thought of having a Bleed effect, which again would be slip damage but would only work against fleshy enemies. I suppose this also makes sense, and it could potentially work to have different types of "poison" (that is, slip damage effects) that work only against certain types of enemies, but I still feel rather lacking in creativity on the subject.

Any ideas? How would you implement these types of effects?

2. TDS

TDS - T D S - Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, I would probably just a state damage resistance for varied states like this. Then add it to characters or enemies depending on their type like on a robot enemy

< Corrosion_Damage_Resist: 30>

<Bleed_Damage_Resist: 100>

<Burn_Damage_Resist: 80>

Then when damage is calculated from those states slip damage it would apply the resistance the character has then calculate the damage. That way a robot would obviously not bleed, but will corrode a lot and burn a bit.

3. Victor Sant

Victor Sant Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I have a script that allows to setup elements for slip damage

http://victorscripts...om-slip-effect/

You can implent this by making the slip effects deal elemental damage and make the battlers immune to certain elements.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2012
  4. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    The first step is to get creative. After that, it's just a matter of working the events and/or scripts.

Some ideas of HP stealing states but with unique twists:

1. Burn: While in this state, you lose complete control of the character, similar to berserk state, except you also lose health like poison. Your defense is greatly lowered, and all you can do is attack. However, you now have 2 to 3 times the strength, and you have strong resistance against certain elements. Fire will now heal you (while in this state), and ice will have no impact on you. However, water will deal out twice as much damage.

2. Freeze: While in this state, you are frozen, similar to being petrified, and of course, health will come down each turn. You are suddenly weak against fire attacks, and you can't move at all. However, ice attacks will heal you, you are also in a sort of reflective state, so magic will bounce off you. Unfortunately, this means that heal spells won't work, and lightning attacks can mean instant death, as they have potential to shatter you.

3. Zombie: Health slowly depletes, defense and strength goes down. But you also gain resistance against all elements, the dead can't harm you, and you gain a new attack called Bite that can deal decent damage on your enemies and also put them into a sort of zombie state. Anything that restores HP will have a reversed effect, though.

5. Jaide

Jaide "This guy are sick." Veteran

First Language:
    English
    amerk, those are awesome ideas! Very unique, and I like how they implement elemental weakness and resistance, too.

Victor, I may very well use your script; I'm not sure yet if I'll need a script for the things I have in mind or not, but the added features would be handy.

I'm basically doing what TDS suggested, so far, but I wasn't sure if having several variations on slip damage would seem overdone or not. But I think if I utilize a bit of creativity, I can make something unique out of it.

6. Probotector 200X

Probotector 200X Probotect and Serve Veteran

I loooove having similar status effects, even if they do exactly the same thing to the same types of characters! But I usually make them different.

For example, in Pokémon, Poison and Burn both hurt you the same amount (I THINK) but Burn also lowers your attack power. Poison doesn't work against Poison type Pokémon, and Burn doesn't work against Fire type Pokémon. Some Pokémon are immune to Poison, some to Burn. Steel type Pokémon are immune to Poison type attacks, but I THINK they can be poisoned by unorthodox means (I'm...not sure though.) I love stuff like that....(also, Pokémon has a deadlier variation of Poison, which is still called Poison for all intents and purposes, but it hurts you more and more each turn!)

I also like having Confusion and Charm in the same game, even if they are often the same thing. Usually they are different though, like Confusion means you just do random stuff, you might hit your friends or heal your foes, but sometimes you still hit the enemies, and sometimes you might use a status curing item on one of your allies that has 6 status effects too from a Malboro that just Bad Breath'd your party, giving you the chance to survive and recover...But Charm is usually more straight forward, it's about turning on your allies by being manipulated and seduced. You can even give different characters different resistances to both, like maybe some character is actually asexual, so they can't be charmed!

But yeah, having different status effects for like, robots, is fun. Like robots can't be poisoned, charmed, or confused...but they can still be burned, paralyzed, etc. Oh, and you can make them vulnerable to some kind of malfunction state or virus state that doesn't work on humans! You can also throw in a cyborg, who is vulnerable to all status effects, but maybe with a higher resistance to all of them than normal!

RachelTheSeeker likes this.
  7. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    I haven't tried these out yet, so I'm not sure how feasible it would be to set these up. I only thought about these over the last few months, and I'm too far along in my current project as it is to reverse and add more things in. Feel free to use those ideas, though.