EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a question. As much feedback as possible is welcome. Let me start with what I'm looking at:
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.03.37 PM.png
This is a screenshot of the top two rows of a custom Icon Set I was going to be including in my RPG, which I am now deciding to design my own... what I'm looking for is what the hell these things would most likely be as far as status effects.

Starting with the Skull & Crossbones, I was going on the assumption of: KO, Poison, Blind, Silence, Rage, Confuse, Dazzled (Enthralled?), Sleep, Paralyze, Death... and that's where I'm at a loss... I think the little guy on fire is Berserk, but I am completely oblivious to what the other ones could be...

Is there anyone out there who could lend me a hand on this one? I know I can generally put in whatever I want but I'd like to really get an idea of what I'm missing out on (or more realistically, I'd like to include all the basics before putting in my custom icons later in the set).

Thank you ahead of time!

GolvaeGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
curse/doom, I assume some kind of nervous/fear state that makes you miss turns, def state, atk state, random power up state, and counter (if I had to guess them)

EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fear... I can see Fear with the droplets... Defensive State? Like Frightened? And I can see Counter for the last one... but the rest of them make me think that would be unable to Counter, or something...

Sword_of_Dusk

Keyblade Master
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Realistically, they're whatever you decide them to be.

That said, were I to name them, they'd be (starting from the paralysis symbol):

Curse/Doom
Fear
Regen
Powered up
Transformed
Counterattack

EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Realistically, they're whatever you decide them to be.

That said, were I to name them, they'd be (starting from the paralysis symbol):

Curse/Doom
Fear
Regen
Powered up
Transformed
Counterattack
And I just have brain lock on where to go with them, hence why I asked! :)

Uruuha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
No clue what they really are, But this is how I use them in my Game :

Purple Skull Icon - Cursed State
Purpose : Affected Target takes Increased Damage and suffers Overall Stat Reduction

Shivering Sweatdrop Icon - Frighten State
Purpose : Affected Target suffers Reduced Secondary Stats like Crit-Chance, Evasion, Counter-Rate and Crit Evasion

Blue Heart Icon - Heal on Next Turn
Purpose : Affected Target recovers a Large % of Max Life, Next Turn

Aura Buff Icon - Overpower
Purpose : Affected Target has doubles Damage and Magic Damage

Beast Head Icon - Aggro
Purpose : Afflicts Taunt on a Target, Which makes them attack the Player at a Higher rate

Glove Strike Icon - Counter-Attack
Purpose : A Passive State that has % Chance to return a Counter-Attack on Incoming attacks

GolvaeGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd go with what @Sword_of_Dusk said, are you saying you are unsure of how to make the states?

EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No... just what they would be... I just couldn't think of what they could be. I've played enough FF and other RPGs to know what types of things these would do, I just couldn't think of the names.

I've got enough to push forward on my custom icons now, at least.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Thank you.

Tech Support is for problems getting RPG Maker to run.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some of them are a little weird, yeah. Whatever you end up using, honestly the best thing you can do is make sure the meanings of each status icon is explained ingame. Here's how I used the ones you seemed to wonder about:

• Purple skull: I use this for Fear, with a green variant for Zombie.
  • Squiggly lines & droplets: I actually split this into 2 different icons: The squigglies by themselves colored yellow are my paralyze icon and the drops are for the Wet status, with a black-colored variant for Oil.
  • Heart thing: Ugly, didn't use it
  • Guy on fire: I recolored him ash gray and darkened the fire and added a few other color variants. It indicates the Burning status ailment, with the variants being other, similar elemental damage over time effects.
  • Dragon head thing: Ugly, didn't use it
  • Fistbump: Temporary counter attack states
  • Circled variants directly below: Honestly I've never figured out wtf these were for, so I deleted that row and use it for more status ailments of my own design.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Circled variants directly below: Honestly I've never figured out wtf these were for, so I deleted that row and use it for more status ailments of my own design.
I don't know what they're intended for any more than you do...but I would use the icons on the top row in the states, so that's what shows up on the battle screen, and I'd use the icons with the circle background for the skills that grant/inflict that status.

That wolf head is a weird one. I've played a lot of JRPGs and I have no clue what it's supposed to represent.

EmeraldSpecter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have absolutely loved the feedback, folks! This has been fantastic! Thanks to all!

What this has inspired is me to make an icon set 100% customized to my game without worrying about things I’m not ever going to use at all... I was considering making one for general use but maybe if I go just sit down and have a graphics day I can do that in the future.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Starting from the beginning, I read them as: KO, Poison, Blind, Silenced, Berserk/Rage, Stun, Charm, Asleep, Paralyzed, Curse (or Doom), Fear, HP Regeneration, Physical Stat Boost (or Charged, for a skill that requires multiple turns to cast), Magical Stat Boost (admittedly this icon is a really weird one; Magical Stat Boost is the best I can read from it), Counterattack.

However, it's really important to remember that these icons could be anything you want them to be! While common iconography is nice for clarity, Blind doesn't always have to look like a pair of black glasses and a healing effect doesn't always have to have a cross or heart. As long as these three things are true, you can get as creative as you want with iconography and really make it your own:
  • The icon should read clearly, even on a busy, colorful screen
  • The icon should easily be recognizable as an object, action or concept that is tightly related to the status effect
  • The icon should not be something that the player would easily confuse with another status in your game (for example, a ghost representing Fear, and a ghost rising from a tombstone representing KO, or a generic electrical waves effect for Thunder Weapon when Paralyze is also in your game)

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not really a fan of some of the default icons, which is why I've set out to make my own icon set instead. But if I had to label them (in order):
KO, Poison, Blind, Silence, Enrage/Berserk, Charm, Sleep, Stun/Paralyse, Curse, Drown? (I honestly have no clue about this one), Protection, Charge/Power boost, Intimidate? (I got nothing for this one either), Counter? (I'm not sure...)

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly the weirdest one of all is the dark gray circle in the lower left corner. Just...what? Why?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Here is how I perceive them
  • Skull and bones - Knocked out/Dead
  • Green Bubble - Poison
  • Sunglasses - Blindness
  • Text Balloon - Silence
  • Fire with face - Burned
  • Double heart - Charmed/Getting controlled
  • Dizzy emoji - One turn stun
  • ZZZ - Sleep
  • Yellow root icon - More than one turn stun (paralysis), or electrified
  • Dark skull - Cursed (debuff, lower resistance or something), zombified (heals actually damages you)
  • Water drops - Fear
  • Heart plus - Regeneration
  • Man on fire - Rage/stat buff
  • Beast face - Transform, probably
  • Fists - Not for state icon, but for skill icon. But can be used for stance state.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Death/KO, Poison, Blind, Silence, Rage/Berserk, Confuse, Charm, Sleep, Paralyse, Doom, Stun/Fear, HoT/Shield, Power up, Taunt, Counter

The dark empty circle could feasibly be used in a game that has a limited number of status effect slots to represent an empty one.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So got my hearing tested to see if it was the cause of my mishearing what people say. Test showed no problems but talked with the doctor about anxiety and ADHD causing hearing issues and she agreed and also added that some people hear things differently. With my anxiety cause I am in fight or flight I pay attention to all the sounds in the area so body knows when react. Can't pay attention to one source.
Welp, people are trying to quit my team because I can't code. Where's the dancing blob emoji when I need it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reaper73