Status Windows: Bars and bars and bars and bars...

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I haven't really bothered attempting to reskin any of my windows yet other than trying out a reeeaaaaally old window skin from a flash game I made back in 2013. As I attempt to figure out where I want to go with the UI look from here, I find myself wondering about all the bars--HP bars, MP bars, etc in both the menu status screens as well as the combat screen. I suppose my question is this:

Are all those bars really necessary? I can see it for things like TP (which I've repurposed as a Limit Break feature), enemy HP, or ATB gauges, but for player HP and MP, they seem pretty useless since HP and MP are more about actual values than percentages. A guy with only 2500 max HP isn't going to survive a 3000 damage meteor, while the 8000 hp guy will, even at only half hp. Likewise, you need 50 MP to cast SuperOmegaFlareja, not a pecentage of your maximum total MP. Maybe I'm missing something, though!

So, what are people's takes on bars for things like HP, MP, etc? Important, or not so much?

Sauteed_Onion

Mmm Tasty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually don't like the "bar" and numbers look. I kind of brain derp it out so even default rpg maker ui is totally non-memorable. I want to learn more about UI customization... Ultimately, I think just numbers for HP/MP and maybe a dots gauge for TP would be cool looking. 1 dot = 1/5 of your TP, or 20 out of 100. Each TP move would cost a number of dots.

And make it all sleek looking, or metallic. I suppose ultimately, the goal is player satisfaction, so a system that lets the player choose bars, numbers or bars and numbers would be like ultra level awesomeness, but, if I had to just do something, I'd do what I talked about, numbers for hp / mp and dots for tp. Make all tp moves be calculated in dots. Some moves cost 1 dot, others 2 dots etc.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The bars are just to give you (the player) a quick visual aid. Whether bars, gauges, dots, or whatever as long as you can casually glance at it and have a rough idea where your health or mp/too is at without having to actually read the numbers or do any math. Is it needed? No, but it helps and is more user friendly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The three if us sat to watch "The day India Burned" to take notes. 10 minutes in, one went to sleep. I wanted to finish it but I couldn't stop tearing up (yawning makes me cry) so after 40 minutes I gave up. But now I'm not sleepy anymore :0
OH... OKAY... Well, VX Ace certainly never did THAT before. :mad:
Been busy with non-RM stuff, can't wait to get back into making a game.
i'm not only drawing girls tbh
i like grubby old man
Kes wrote on Chef's profile.
I have deleted your profile post as our Rules are quite clear that you may not use them to advertise non-RM products, nor may you give a link to anything that solicits payment for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tegima