UNphiltered_khaos

Game Dev. Artist.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Good day everyone! So, first off, I am basing this tutorial off of the only Stealth tutorial I have EVER found anywhere. I only recently learned to do this, so any ideas on improving efficiency and such is greatly appreciated. Also, any mistakes are the fault of the reader, because I have grasping a perfect of language english and Stealth events. :p  I hope this is clear and concise, if you have any questions that I may be able to answer, PM me, and we can find out!

ONWARD!

Step 1: Making your map.

You better have this part done. Skip to 1a....

Step 1a: Changing the Guard 

As in the map above, I have created an event with JUST THE GRAPHIC of a guard. There are no fancy inner workings driving this uncomplex character.

Step 2: Modus Operandi

Create a new event, doesn't matter what you name it, but for ease of operation, we shall call this GUARD_MOVE. In this event, we shall create a new variable (or switch) that is turned ON when the guard is looking down, and off when he turns up. Set this event to Parallel Process, otherwise it won't run as one would hope it would. In this case, when the guard turns down, the "Look Down" variable is set to 1. So when that is done, we can probably move on to ...

Step 3: Let there be SIGHT!

This event is another parallel process. But this one is not straight-forward like the other one, this one is a freaking ONION of "If x, then y" where y is usually another "If this..."

To begin, you will create (if you haven't already) 2 variables. 1 is 'Player X' and the other is 'Player Y'. When you create the variables, it is VERY important that you set the "Operand" values to "Game Data, character, player map x,y"

Then build up the onion with conditional branches. Conditional branch 1, variable (or switch) is active. in this case "Look down" variable is at 1. 

Conditional branch 2, when variable "Player X" is greater than or equal to the area you want set. You can determine the X, Y coordinates in the map editor by looking to the bottom right of the screen. 

The number on the left is the X, and on the right is Y. If you ever are in doubt about which direction goes where, remember, "Y to the Sky." In the editor, the higher number Y goes down the screen though. And they start at block 0, not 1. So the VERY top left corner is 0,0. You can click anywhere on any of the cells and it will display the coordinates at the bottom left.

So you will set first player x to greater than or equal to the LOWEST number cell  you want to be detectable. The do Player X Less than or equal to HIGHEST number cell that you want to be detectable. Do this again for the Player Y coordinates. 

Make sure all of these events are nested within the original conditional branch of  variable "Look Down=1". Then after all 5 conditions are set, you can do whatever you want to run after the guard spots you. In this case it is an exclamation above the guards' head, and the character declaring "Busted!" 

Before

After

This concludes the tutorial. This should be everything you need to know to complete your most BASIC of stealth events. Below you will find a short demo showing how you too can set up fancy stealth events with just a little bit of effort. Beyond this, I am just as lost as you. :p

You can thank Deathswallow for requesting this. It didn't occur to me to do a tutorial, so (s)he was the impetus.  

Like, thumbs up and subscribe! 

Original source

Last edited by a moderator:

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Lol! I've only glanced over it so far, but when I get a good WiFi signal I'll give it a better read. Thanks for doing this tut!! :)

Ahh!! XD ! I am so honored to be the inspiration!!

Heretic86

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Engrish
Primarily Uses
Sensor Scripts can also heavily expand on the concept of Stealth.  I put a lot of work into a Stealth System for XP that allowed for many variations.  For example, not all enemies can see behind them.  Not all enemies can see forever.  Enemies can see over non movable terrain like Water, but normally if a tile is not passable, they can not see through it.  Enemies can also react to Sound as much as they do Sight.  Super Event Sensor (my scripts name for XP) is nearly fully realized and allows a lot of stuff to take place.  Your armor and gear can be noisy.  Metal clanging together.  Other armor can increase your stealth ability because it is more "quite" or perhaps "camo".

All in all, as a general idea for a Stealth Mechanic simply with Events, it is a very good introductory approach.

+Like

Gui

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Thank you very much: this will very probably come in handy for a part of my game!

UNphiltered_khaos

Game Dev. Artist.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Heretic86: Yes, thank you for the suggestions. I had scoured the internet looking for any tutorial about stealth I could find and Sensor scripts kept coming up. I don't know how to operate them, but now that the basic stealth eventing is covered, I will be delving a little deeper into what they can do, since my next project is going to focus heavily on stealth. 

@Gui: Absolutely! My pleasure. I hope it comes in handy for you.

@Deathswallow: Lol, yeah. Honestly, the thought had never crossed my mind until you mentioned it. Then it was like yeah, I could find time. And yesterday, I was just feeling the burnout (for my other projects), so decided to put my projects on hold and crack it out. I should probably port a copy over to VXace.net, also...

UNphiltered_khaos

Game Dev. Artist.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Phew! So much to learn as far as stealth goes. Anyone else been diving into it? Got any tips? I am still implementing some stealth scenes into my first project, which, thankfully, is drawing to a close. I thought I would have it done in a week. (It has now been 5 months...)

UNphiltered_khaos

Game Dev. Artist.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, I added a downloadable demo to show you how you can do the event setup yourself. it's pretty easy! Let me know if this helped!

Swafer

Gremlin | Uses VXA and MV
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I can't see the images, nor the download. I'm not sure if it's my end that having issues or it's the post itself

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Swafer No it's not just you, the images are broken for me as well. The download link, while having a broken picture, still seems to work though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I wonder what cat meat tastes like.
Writing out an idea for the No Travel Game Jam. I have a general plot and challenge written out, it's just a matter of filling the rest in and making it interesting.
A definite difficult time right now. How is everyone doing during this pandemic? I already have seen furloughs and layoffs.
Hollow 1977 wrote on Archeia's profile.
Hope you and your family are doing well during this difficult time. :)
My elderly neighbor whom I've been buying groceries for just got carried out of his home on a stretcher by guys with hazmat suits. Considering I've been his only point of contact for the past month it's probably safe to say my boss was right to tell me to stay home once I developed a mild cough after all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Creth-Alretan