Gremlin | Uses VXA and MV
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Uh, hi!

So this game is going to be based on one of my favourite online thriller novella (or that's what I call it since it's more appropriate) and I want a bit of feedback on some mechanics and designs.

When the game gets made, it will be free to play since it's a fan-made a game.

GAME MECHANIC
The genre I want my game to be is Stealth thriller game with some horror elements to it.
So with the stealth aspect, I have some things:
  • a tracer stealth script (simple line of sight, loud sounds when running)
  • a locking system so that the player would have to pick locks on doors, padlocks, etc)
  • a non-combat system( which fits with the horror aspect as well, it can make the player feel even more powerless)
  • a lighting system where the place of stealth gets dark (with the exception of some rooms) and having you use a flashlight. (I'm still trying to figure out how to turn the flashlight off)
  • an item combine system
  • a travel system where you can go through vents to travel to other rooms and you unlocked
So yeah, that's the game mechanics I have so far. Next is the story mechanic.

STORY MECHANIC
In the story, my character has amnesia and will be getting some of her memories in flashbacks (or dreams, not sure yet)
in those parts of memories of returning I'm thinking of having them be also a mechanic:

• it could reveal a new game mechanic
  • it could reveal another way of exit
  • it could reveal a way of defeating the enemy
  • it could reveal a possible location of another item that could use in either and an escape or a way to take down the enemy without combat
However, I worry about the whole memory part would affect the atmosphere of the story. Seeing as in the memories, it wasn't all calm and light, I worry it might ruin the dark and eerie feeling in the game.

If you need more detail, let me know. Any and all feedback are welcome.

Note: The reason that I didn't include the story is that I'm saving it for the 'Games in Development' thread.

Edit: I want to specify what horror it is. The enemy is just another human being and not a supernatural entity. The setting of the game is supposed to be realistic

Edit 2:
UPDATE: New story Mechanic Ideas
I've been looking into videos that can help my game (while their more horror-based and not a thriller, some things might still apply). One of the videos I saw talked about contrast in-game, how having a moment in the game where it's peaceful and light helps keep the tense and uneasy atmosphere of the game.

So I decided to create a therapy room where the character can go to in-between parts, to add contrast. After the end of part of each chapter (there are 2 parts per chapter), the player is transferred to the therapy room to recover.

At first, I wasn't sure about it since there was not much of a purpose the room had for, so I come up with another purpose of the room.

(Note this will probably the very few times a game inspired me in something. Everything else was just from my own thoughts.)

This mechanic was inspired by Silent Hills: Shattered Memories. the mechanic was the psych profile, where how the choices the player makes in psychology session not only change the storyline, but the themes as well.

I thought about having something similar to where, the choices the player makes, influences the outcome of the ending.

I also thought of another idea to expand that idea. How the outcome of the main character at the end of the game is depended on the player. But I'm conflicted with this because I already somewhat have a canonical storyline for the main character. but on the other hand, I don't really have a plan for her after the game. In fact, I plan on having the ending up to the player of whether she goes on a more passive route or an aggressive one.

I'm open to any suggestions you have.

Last edited:

GLM

ブラッドシェド © 1989 POLOCOM
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You mention horror elements, but I don't know if that implies supernatural horror or not.

Assuming it doesn't go against the nature and concept of the game, why not have the enemies be kept at bay by the flashlight and use that as the non-combat system?

Swafer

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
You mention horror elements, but I don't know if that implies supernatural horror or not.

Assuming it doesn't go against the nature and concept of the game, why not have the enemies be kept at bay by the flashlight and use that as the non-combat system?
There is no supernatural elements in the game. The enemy is just another human being.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The bit about amnesia and it being a thriller makes me think about Jason Bourne, which I kinda like (though I only really liked the first film). What exactly worries you about the memories? That they're gonna spoil the mood for the game? I'd say just go for it, there are tons of ways to implement that kind of story elements, and you won't really know how they pan out until you try them. :smile:

Swafer

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
[AN UPDATE HAS BEEN MADE IN THE ORIGINAL POST]

Swafer

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally did a test of sorts for the opening of my game... ... including this shot here.
My current status!?
It might be... QUAKE!!! :o
At least that was true several hours ago. :p
Quexp wrote on Shaz's profile.
I absolutely love your profile/pic! :kaoluv:
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
I made a battle results screen for my minigame.. any feedback? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hnhat