Steam account vs unique computer?

Discussion in 'Tech Support-All Makers' started by Marquise*, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I remember reading multiple times the ToU .

But today it struck me that I am on a precarious computer that almost died 2 years ago and that is on the life support with many piece changes that I might have troubles in the future with this;

"ENTERBRAIN grants to Licensee a non-exclusive, non-assignable license to use the Software on only one (1) computer by installing the Software, and Licensee cannot use the Software concurrently by and on multiple computers."

I realized that yes I use always the program on ONE computer. But then if I replace the pieces all the time or if it finally dies I won't be able to deinstall it from dead computer and reinstall it to new one. The case is lowered by the notion that whatever happens I paid for that license on Steam and it won't be lost then.

However, that post on Steam did scared me as to, even thought I just use one copy on one working computer, I wonder if I risk loosing it somehow if something realize the motherboard/CPU/Hardrive suddenly changed?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/220700/discussions/0/1694923613864170389/

I know it comes from my cautious nature (paranoid/anxious/net nervous) side. But I really love my RPGMaker collection and Degica products and the community around it. So best asking to get a better sleep. After all best safe than sorry! ^^

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    the key here is "concurrently", and that steam post contains several errors.

first, as far as I know the automatic stop is not after two installations but after several more.
    second, all you have to do for a reset is contact customer support for a check and proof that you are the only one using the software - I don't know how they check and what the limits are, but most of the time the counter is reset.
    third, that goes for the standalone version only - steam DRM works differently and you won't be stripped of that no matter how many computers you install your steam account on, because with steam their DRM guarantees that the only one account can be logged in at the same time.

Now to that steam post - there is a lot suspicious about it and it is wrong in several accounts.
    1) If he indeed has a problem with the standalone account, why is he posting on steam discussions where that definatily doesn't count installations? I had the steam account installed on four or five different PCs by now and it never caused any questions.
    2) as said above the standalone can be installed more than two times before the check is initiated, so it is definately a lie if he claims to have been blocked after two installations only
    3) there have been cases of revoked licences, but that was for other reasons and not done for the number of installations (rather think hacked accounts and so on)

My guess: a troll that never even owned the program and just likes to cause panic for no reason

Marquise*, Marsigne and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The spirit of the EULA is not to prevent you from installing the program when you get a new PC or something. It's intended to prevent people from sharing their product key with friends and family, so that multiple people are benefiting from one purchase.

Marquise* and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  4. TheoAllen

TheoAllen I'm back apparently Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Technically family sharing from steam does this, u can install multiple steam apps on different computers as long as u share with family sharing. Granted, i only use this for games, never know how RM works with this. How about it?

Marquise* and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know much about Steam family, not used it.

There have been plenty of threads in the past on this topic - how many uses for your product key, etc.

The summary that I have gotten from all of the answers over the years is this:
    - If you get a new pc, you are fine to reinstall. If there is an issue with the product key, or you can't find the email with it, send in a support ticket and explain you got a new pc. They will help you. (I've had to do this myself with one of the engines when a computer died.)
    - If you have an engine installed on a desktop and want to install it on a laptop, for your own use while you are away from your desktop, that it is fine.
    - I have two kids, ages 9 & 12. It's okay if I let them tinker around on my copies of RM engines. As they get older, if they want to produce a full game, I will get them their own copies, so they have their own license.
    - I cannot let my Uncle John have my product key to install an engine on their computer. I cannot let my best friend for life have my product key to install an engine on their computer. I cannot let my grandmother, no matter how amazing she is, have my product key to install an engine on her computer.

I will emphasize that I am not a Degica employee. I will emphasize again, that this is the summary of the info I've gathered over the years from such discussions. I will emphasize that I may be wrong and someone with more knowledge may correct my misunderstandings.

Marquise*, Marsigne and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  6. TheoAllen

TheoAllen I'm back apparently Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Speaking of experience, i once contacted the official during my REinstallation problem of RM in a new computer. Rather than get a reply like "no, you cant", they assisted me. So I'd say don't worry about it

Marquise*, Sauteed_Onion and mlogan like this.
  7. gstv87

gstv87 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    when you purchase a license, you purchase the right of usage, regardless of the computer.
    it is only illegal to install it in multiple computers, if the software comes with a validation procedure (like they have in Autodesk or Adobe) and you manage to circumvent that.
    (or, in some of Valve's own games that require you to have Steam on line to validate)

Steam, by definition, is a cloud storage platform, so it must be designed to accept data from multiple computers, tying the property of the software *to the user* rather than *to the system*.
    a single-user-single-system software uploaded and distributed to Steam, is a scam, by definition.
    because it would force you to buy a new product (which you already have) in order to use it in a different computer as if you were another physical person (which they can't guarantee).

it all comes down to what they can assert and establish:
    -if they can't, you're fine.
    -if they can, it means they're reading out too much of your information, so, you can sue..... so, you're also fine. :D
    -if they can do to a procedure requiring you to input said information, and you bypass it, then *they* can sue, and *you* are screwed.

Marquise* and Marsigne like this.
  8. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    True that we can open multiple projects at one time on the same computer. XD

@Andar thank for your very quick response. I kinda saw yesterday that finally Steam just failed to calculate the program was in library because at first post the owning the software didn't appeared but later on for no reason it was activated and the end of the problem for the OP.

@mlogan Thanks to you too. I panic on a dime! LOL If I know one thing from here it is that the dev and the close community is cradled in fairness. ^^

@TheoAllen I read on another tread that it was not permitted but... Well, at home with a family learning a kid how to use it or having it in your shared library list it is kinda hard really to oust folks away. :/ (And yeah, I've learned from the job to protect my Photoshop from idiots (who to solve a problem erased it on my computer station and later on have all tech laugh at me with my Photoshop problem on my log seeing that I dumped it from my computer for more than one year... -_-; ) so the reflex sticks. You want RPGM? Get Lite! LOL XD -yeah I know... no sharing your game with friends I think.-)