Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So one HUGE hurdle i'm always looking at for RPG Maker is making it available to the standard consumer, while yes PC is the biggest, as someone who grew up on consoles i just can't deny the magic of grabbing a playstation controller and sitting back on the couch.

one of my biggest draws to MV was...well its the Mobile Version! games can port to Google Play and Apple app store easy enough. however mobile games are still in its growing pain stage.

my big dream is to get to those console titles and i've SEEN it done and know how to do it, but the costs range from 25K - 50K per title per platform.

not entirely impossible but a hurdle none the less.

so in recent months i've been following the cloud gaming news between Google Stadia & Amazon Luna. these bad boys, if successful will be FAR easier and cheaper to get RPG maker games on, and start putting our indie projects in a more console like arena. Also, my personal favorite, Steam's upcoming "Switch Rival" Steam Deck will be a windows based handheld that can dock to TVs like the switch and handle all your steam library where RPG Maker games live anyway, my fear is steam's last foray into this was unsavory.

while i still set my sights high for the PS Store or Xbox, I personally pray for the success of Stadia, Luna & Steam Deck as a happy medium for us RM devs!

thoughts on the future of gaming?

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've seen someone in the chinese community run a rpg vx ace game on android and switch, so it can be done.

ramza

Lunatic Coder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've seen someone in the chinese community run a rpg vx ace game on android and switch, so it can be done.
I don't know much about VX Ace, but the mobile deployments for MV and MZ make it so it'll run on basically anything with an html5 capable web browser already - the trick is getting into the system to allow it to do so in the first place, though.

Through some... not strictly legal methods, you can get android running on the switch too, so once you get that up, running an MV game is possible.

The main thing at this point is the legality of doing that - mainly that it's not. To really get on those platforms, you've gotta pay their licensing fees or whatever. I hear a lot of rpgmaker games that end up on consoles later have done so by essentially wrapping the PC OpenGL export of their project in a Unity wrapper that acts as middleware between the PC version of the project and the console-specific hardware calls needed to get it running. But that sort of thing isn't cheap, either.

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hear a lot of rpgmaker games that end up on consoles later have done so by essentially wrapping the PC OpenGL export of their project in a Unity wrapper that acts as middleware between the PC version of the project and the console-specific hardware calls needed to get it running. But that sort of thing isn't cheap, either.

Thats EXACTLY the process i heard about that costs 25k-50k per platform im interested in doing it WAY down the road after making the PC version tride and true and assessing sales but as you said its not a cheap option, thus why i'm excited for Steam Deck which has TV dock ports and will, hopefully be a big handheld

Corygon

Storyteller
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I hear a lot of rpgmaker games that end up on consoles later have done so by essentially wrapping the PC OpenGL export of their project in a Unity wrapper that acts as middleware between the PC version of the project and the console-specific hardware calls needed to get it running. But that sort of thing isn't cheap, either.
To be honest, if you're going to resort to using Unity in such a matter, it might actually be more beneficial (and legal) to just remake the whole project with Unity anyways. While the RTP cannot be used with any engine that isn't RPG Maker, anyone who is dedicated to their project enough to attempt to get it on consoles probably have custom assets made anyways.

Of course, I might be off-course on something, so...

MoonBunny

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think "cloud gaming" is dead in the water, so I can't personally bank on them finding significant success. Handheld PCs have a more optimistic future, in my opinion, especially with Nintendo failing to deliver a newer Switch model with better features.
RPG Maker, however, currently is held back by too many limitations to hit it big as a more popular and mainstream engine. The simplicity does aid in ease of learning, but it means that pushing the engine particularly further than intended makes compatibility suffer. Even something as simple as going beyond the 256x256 map limit can drag down performance on certain hardware/platforms.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Worked on a cutscene skip domino effect using Maker Systems' script as the basis. Basically if I have a batch of cutscenes in a row on different maps, now when you skip one cutscene it will skip the entire set. No more spamming X to skip a scene every new map.

Oh and it will work regardless of where you do it from in the set. Convenient!
seems absolutely WILD to me now all the hundreds of hours of work I used to do in 2k(3) over a decade ago with a resolution of 320x240. that seems so insanely TINY now, seemed so normal at the time!
Playing Aroma Indosiar theme song.
Aroma is an Indonesian TV show about cooking. :)
Working on a characteeer! (Why is it so hard to color hair?) ;-;
Silly-Sketches.png
Just finished eventing a couple simple puzzles in RMMV, for my very first game "Sample Quest." Just messing around, throwing things together, and calling it a story XD On a non-RM note, got my hair cut today!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IntoTheDrink