Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
Other
Hi everyone!

Someone here buys games on itch.io? Or just Steam?

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've never bought anything on itch personally, definitely have on steam though. From a developer's standpoint, steam is where its at to.

You might want to turn this into a poll as well. You just go under thread tools and then Add Poll.

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
Other
I've never bought anything on itch personally, definitely have on steam though. From a developer's standpoint, steam is where its at to.

You might want to turn this into a poll as well. You just go under thread tools and then Add Poll.
Thanks for the tip.

I'm a bit concerned about the new Steam Direct replacing Steam Greenlight, since it will affect greatly smaller developers.
In other hand, I don't know if there's any chance of selling a game on Itch.io.

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I never bought any games there, only assets. If a game is available on both, I'll always purchase it on steam.

Lantiz

PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
The more, the better, i think.
There's a reason why Steam is not so easy, and it's the same reason why you'll probably sell better there.
But it does not get on the way of itch.io, you can even give Steam keys for games sold there.
And there's also Game Jolt [:

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
Other
The more, the better, i think.
There's a reason why Steam is not so easy, and it's the same reason why you'll probably sell better there.
But it does not get on the way of itch.io, you can even give Steam keys for games sold there.
And there's also Game Jolt [:
I didn't knew Game Jolt was selling games now. Thanks for this great info! :smile:
I will add it in the poll too.

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I mean, Steam is so popular for a reason. It does what it does well. Its a full on video game manager and client for the consumer and its something that's not really offered anywhere else like that.

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
Other
I mean, Steam is so popular for a reason. It does what it does well. Its a full on video game manager and client for the consumer and its something that's not really offered anywhere else like that.
That's the main point. I'm worried because of this. It's like there's no life outside of Steam for small developers. :kaocry:

Reapergurl

Drummer Extraordinaire! xD
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
Other
99% of the games I buy have physical copies.

Therefore, none of the above.

But I will say that the worst place to buy games offline is GameStop (and DON'T get me started with them).

Lantiz

PunyMagus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Other
@CleanWater be welcome.
Just to add, Game Jolt has an approval for sellers that takes some time for some countries.
It took like 3 weeks for my approval.
Without the approval, you can only publish free games.

Itch.io on the other hand, does not have this bureaucracy (sorry if this is not the word, I'm not sure)
You can just add you PayPal account and be ready to go.

Milkdud

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's the main point. I'm worried because of this. It's like there's no life outside of Steam for small developers. :kaocry:
GoG is probably what I would consider runner up to Steam as it has a decent sized library (compared to Origin and Uplay which is mostly just EA and Ubisoft games), and they've been recently selling more indie games. GoG is however, a lot more difficult to get into compared to Steam, but it wouldn't hurt to see if you could get some interest from them.

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like to buy through steam and physical copies, it depends. (^_^) And GoG, of course.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I mostly buy on GOG. I'm partial to Itch.io but haven't had any of those games catch my eye yet.

Arisa

probably dead
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English/Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmm, I usually buy physical, but I like Game Jolt for indie games, Itch.io I only like when something is seriously interesting, and I was never a big fan of steam.

Silly Sylph

Get Silly, Touch Funny
Reaction score
First Language
Derp
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't buy RPG Maker games.
/me hides Mon-mosu Quest: Paradox and Another Story of Fallen Maidens Vol 1.
They... I... THEY ARE EXCEPTIONS!!!

If you mean games in general, then Steam. I only discovered itch.io recently. I've been using it mostly as a publishing platform, which I've been very satisfied with.

sabao

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Steam if it's available there. I like how I can keep it all in one place. I do keep tabs on free giveaways on GOG and Origin though, which is what my libraries there mostly consist of.

I've also bought stuff on itch.io out of curiosity. A lot of the stuff there are either just really raw ideas or games that may not be all that marketable, but it's always fun to try these out and pick brains with other devs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Less than a week and I can move into my new apartment and out of this bad situation. I'm so excited! Then game making power will increase. :kaoluv:
Enter the password in letters. (English subtitles)
I really tried to pull off something for halloween, but I don't feel like going on. I feel like the plot I was building was too generic, and I couldn't connect to it as I do with other projects. On the bright side, I've been working on my cosmic-puzzle project, so far I think the core mechanics are working properly, so I'll be creating some large test maps to see how it works out.
People2_5 & SF_Monster1 added!

Ami
--- X Costume ---

M.Healer: I'm wearing M.Mage's Costume.
M.Mage: I'm wearing M.Healer's Costume.
M.Knight: Why not using the Scary Costume like me,The Scary Frankenstein?
M.Healer: Err…Because we have low of Budget.
M.Mage: Yeah,right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TikeTenGamesOffical