Steam / non-Steam difference (regarding DLC)

UgyBoogie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm a bit confused about the DLC's. I bought MV via Steam. Is there any difference for me wether I'll buy DLC via the Steam shop or from this website?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Very rarely there are things in the set that are exclusive to one place vs another, and if a place has an exclusive it will be advertised on the product page, but other than that, no. No difference at all.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The main difference is that when purchasing DLC on this website you'll need to copy them manually into the project from whereever you store them, and in case of steam DLC the place where they're stored is automatically linked. On the other hand most people wouldn't be able to find the steam DLC without the button pointing to it, while they should remember where they store the Shop-DLC on download.

There is another difference however - the Shop-DLC on this site sometimes has some extra bonus that is not included in the Steam-version of the DLC (if that exists, it is listed in the store here as an exclusive bonus and never mentioned in the steam-descriptions). Only about half a dozen DLCs where that is the case however.

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A few days ago I noticed that not all DLCs are available on both, rpgmakerweb and Steam.
I think it was one of the Time Fantasy DLCs that was missing.

So, there's another difference.

UgyBoogie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Guess I'll stick to this site for DLC then. Seems to have small bonuses more frequently in the packs. And is overall a tad bit cheaper.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
? In my experience it's been the opposite, but maybe we have different preferences for the packs we like to buy.

UgyBoogie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
? In my experience it's been the opposite, but maybe we have different preferences for the packs we like to buy.
I suppose the best option is to look at both DLC versions before buying to get the best deal :D

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes. And to keep in mind that sometimes packs are heavily discounted on Steam.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm Steam's prices are country - dependent. I once read a table that in case of Germany, the price is 115% of the regular currency conversion, and in cases of other countries in asia or south america the prices are 30-40% of the regular currency conversions from $ to local currency.
Which is why I rarely purchase on steam directly unless there is a sale, in most cases steam-resellers are cheaper for me even if there is no sale (because not every reseller adds that +15% to the regular price)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sorry, no, I meant that it's been my experience that there are more exclusives here.

UgyBoogie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Anyway, thanks to everyone for educating me :D
This topic may be closed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm currently being attacked by the RPG Maker Hydra: fixing one problem only to have two more rise to take its place.
Hey you! Yeah YOU! Whatcha doin' not backing up your projects? You a masochist or sumthin'? GO BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS! Sheeesh... Didn't think I'd hafta spell it out for yas.
now I need to determine, how MV determines if an auto tile is complete or not.
Edit:From what I can tell it uses Autotile kinds to do that.
Edit 2: The editor determines it and packs picture data for the engine....
Finished with the ground work for my class system, using Ellye's Class Change Equipment and Yanfly's Class Change Core plugins to implement an equip based subclass feature!
Hi people! I was wondering... Here in Brazil, we have a whats app group for we talk about rpg maker and our projects. A more informal way for we meet each other. Is there any whats app group out there? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pradeepkanojia