Steam RPGMV not launching?

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by Pearsona, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Pearsona

Pearsona Trash Goblin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, every time I try to launch the game, nothing happens. Then, if I try to boot the game again, I get an error claiming the software is already running. Here are the things I've tried:
    • Closing RPGM in task manager
    • Uninstalling and reinstalling the software
    • Restarting my computer
    • Having Steam check file integrity (it didn't give me any error messages, so I'm assuming file integrity is fine?)
    • Checking antivirus 'quarantine' vault to make sure it didn't accidentally quarantine RPGM
    What on earth could the problem be? I'm running on PC, not in any betas, and was just using the program fine the other day.

2. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    do you run it on Win7, or Win10?

in both cases, it might be a taskbar service interupting (I cant tell which one) becaue I dont use steam,
    closing that will fix it. another way, is to log out and close steam entirely and restart -> login to refresh
    the steam version again.

Lastly what you can try is updating your graphic/system cards (driverbooster 5 or driver booster 6) free version.
    if that dont help, we can dig deeper into the issue for you because it can go many ways btw.

3. Pearsona

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm running win10, and I just tried to close steam fully/logout, and that didn't work. How do I update graphic/system cards?

4. Pearsona

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, the problem has been fixed, though I don't... entirely know how. For the sake of future people with the same problem stumbling on this thread, I'll do my best to try and summarize what I did.

Firstly, I shut my computer down. I had restarted it, but I figured maybe shutting it all the way down would do something different. I left it like that for a bit, too, probably about an hour. Then, when I turned everything back on, I remembered I had failed to install an antivirus program (I had eventually just given up and stuck with my current antivirus) and it was kind of just sitting on my computer, a little broken. I figured hey, what the hell, that could be the issue, so I found the uninstaller and just cleared it from my laptop. Now, the app is working. I'm not sure what fixed it, but something changed, and now it's all better.

At least it's all working again, haha--

5. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    if it was the virusscanner, which one did you used?
    because if your virusscanner blocks the program (Just "IF") you could white list it to ignore it.
    but than again, it would be a long shot.

But im happy you solved your problem, Good luck on your project ^^

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    two different virusscanner at the same time are the worst thing you can do to your computer unless you know exactl< what you're doing.

because two virus scans do not incrase protection compared to one - they have a high chance of disabling eachother if they don't know what they're doing.
    Just think: A virusscan identifies a virus by comparing data sequences to known viruses. For that it needs a database containing those signatures.

Virusscanner 1: Hey, here comes an infected file - it contains thousands of viruses, it needs to be blocked and deleted.
    Virusscanner 2: Database Update failure, my update just vanished. I can only check for older viruses. But hey, here comes a file containing even hundreds of those, I have to block it...

Ed result: both scanners partially disabled and without updates

You can only have two virusscanner workable if you can tell them what the other scanner is and that their updates need to pass each others.

And that goes double for a failed installation of a virusscan - you'll never know which part of it functions on which data, blocking part of its function and distorting others...