Steam vs Itch.io?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Vayne88, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Vayne88

Vayne88 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Which one better for rpg maker games? And does anyone have tried Epic Game Store?

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Right now, unless youre making an 18+ game, itch.io seems to be a better choice. At least in terms of exposure, not sure for sales though since steam would still have a way bigger playerbase.

Aside from that, you might to try Ardorlea games as they cater exactly to RM players.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    The Mighty Palm and Indinera like this.
  3. Indinera

Indinera Indie Dev Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Steam is better. Try to sell just 1 copy on itch.io :dizzy:

4. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Personally, I recommend itch.io.

I've seen quite a bit of success there with NALE, more than I expected - however, the reason I'd suggest the service is more down to speed, ease and flexibility. It's very fast to set up an itch.io account; I set mine up, dressed my page, and had my game initially uploaded within an afternoon. The config is easy and the terms are brief. It's just a really straightforward service.

5. Indinera

First Language:
    French
    Free game?

6. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    STEAM is still where the money lies, but why not do both?

But sure, if it’s a free game I’d put it on Itch.io, because I think it’s easy and doesn’t cost me anything. I wouldn’t want to pay 100$ to put a free game on STEAM, unless... it was part of some sneaky marketing trick where at thought I could make that money back.

So it depends I guess.

But again, if it’s not a free game, why not do both?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Baggie and Engr. Adiktuzmiko like this.
  7. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's chapter-based, and the second chapter (+future subsequent chapters) aren't free.

8. Prescott

Prescott argggghhh Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Put the first chapter on itch.io to see how well it does, and if it does do well go with itch.io and Steam for the next chapters.

Also, it's pretty dayum difficult to get your game on Epic's storefront. I would avoid it like the plague regardless given their business tactics aren't good.

9. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The first chapter has been out, now, for over a year, and it's done well - at least, better than I expected. That being said I didn't really know what to expect. I came to this from Kindle books, and that market's absolutely saturated and really cutthroat. In truth I don't know if the game is doing "well", I just know that I get new players every day and have sold a bunch of copies of the second chapter.

rue669 and The Mighty Palm like this.
  10. Indinera

First Language:
    French
    Free games:
    itch.io is fine for hosting but if you also aim for success/popularity, Steam is (easily) best, sad that they'll still ask for their $100 fee though.
    Classic RM games (fantasy retro RPGs):
    Steam > my website >>>> itch.io
    (my website might outsell Steam in the first months/year of release but then you should be able to grind a bigger revenue through their countless discount schemes).
    Other RM games:
    Steam >>>>> itch.io

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Dezue likes this.
  11. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Indinera, related to the OP's question (I guess) how difficult is it to publish on Steam these days?

I didn't even approach it, because the last time I looked at it was years ago, and you needed to be a registered company, with tax information etc. - it wasn't open to private individuals. I know, however, that this information is out of date. What does a person actually need to publish on it?

12. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I say Itch purely because it's free to put a game up. With Steam there's a fee. Itch has no risk, but Steam immediately puts you in the hole.

13. sura_tc

sura_tc Loner Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Steam.

Itch.io just doesn't get enough exposure (or traffic). I'd go as far as say that Steam gets more than 10x traffic/exposure.
    In my case, it's more like 100x.

110USD shouldn't be considered a risk at such an advantage.

Even RPGMaker.net gets much more exposure than Itch.io.

14. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    True that Steam gets more traffic, but from where? A massive amount of Steams traffic comes from China, Russia, Brazil, and other non-english speaking countries so unless you're planning on an international release or to appeal to multiple foreign countries, the difference is far less drastic than it appears at first glance. Though your steam traffic is still superior by a large margin.

Also the statement that RPGMaker.net gets more exposure than Itch is blatantly incorrect. Itch gets upwards of 9 million monthly visitors whereas RPGMaker.net is in the 140,000 ballpark.

Baggie likes this.
  15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I say both. It can't hurt to have it as an option, especially as there are some who refuse to use Steam still these days. And at the minimum you can put the demo there. I've seen some bigger name games (like Fell Seal) put their demo on itch.io and it is still in the top list for highest rating as of yesterday when I checked.

I'd check top selling but it was a free demo, so that would make no sense.

16. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Admittedly this won't be news to you, but anyway, category makes a huge difference on itch.io, also (to be fair, most storefronts are the same - there are game categories on the iOS App Store where you can be number 1, but not even get within sight of the top 500 overall games). I know this because I've topped some of the categories in itch.io multiple times, and you don't have to sell all that much to do it.

17. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @EthanFox : True. When I was on there yesterday only one game came up with the tag football. So if you can make a football RPG you'd be at least #2 on that list!

18. Baggie

Baggie Someone Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Honestly, it could go either way.

Steam has been around I think like 10 years longer than itch.i. So, it's definitely build up some reliability for a lot of people.
    Itch.io doesn't cost you anything to upload a game as far as I know, where Steam costs like $100 USD to upload a game.

Itch.io seems to cater more to RPG Maker games and it's way easier to get people to notice your game.
    Steam gets a ton of games posted, so the competition is a lot higher, but can be super rewarding to have your game featured.

Also, a lot of big YouTubers like Pewdiepie go to Steam for majority of the games they play, which in turn builds Steam's traffic.

I say use both, if you can. I personally plan on using both. It just doesn't make sense not to, honestly.

19. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yep! Though there's a less obvious part to that. Some categories have plenty of games, but that's no reason to think the #1 game in a category is actually popular. You could be #1 in "HTML5 Games featuring rabbits" but that might be #3,245th on the site overall!

20. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    True, but you could turn that into a marketing tool. #1 on HMTL5 games featuring rabbits on itch.io! It might even create a buzz and get you much higher on the site due to the boost in sales.