Steamworks License Timing (QUERY ANSWERED)

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by BreakerZero, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Quick question that I don't know if this fits here (logic says but I've been wrong before and/or things evolved to action befitting another section over the course of the subject) but I was wondering if it would be worth the possibility of plunking down the hundred quid for a Steamworks license (part of the listing process to actually be on Steam in the first place) in the scenario at which I'm at with my project:
    1. Halfway done with chapter four off a cumulative total of six
    2. Preliminary content structure for second quest is determined
    3. Preparing to send early access invites to known associates
    Any thoughts?

2. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you feel confidant enough that you're close to wrapping it up then go for it! It would be best to get an page up asap so you can start marketing it and have people add it to their wishlist.

3. Lorenze

Lorenze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Should've been up yesterday. ;) But forreal, you want it up as soon as possible so you can start collecting those wishlists. Not only do people get notified of your game's release, but after you reach a certain threshold of wishlists, your game will appear on Steam's Popular New Releases tab (aka more visibility for your game). And wishlists are a lot easier said than done to build up.

So yeah. Pretty much ASAP if you can swing it.

Uzuki likes this.
  4. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, seeing that I've got enough content I think I'll put it to thought. I do want to run it by finance first so that everything is clear and that I'm not paying some "low rent sleaze" (and considering that I just came off a stint of several days worth of tests a few weeks ago in Rochester of all places, the bills from that are obviously the biggest pain in my cash flow outside of game development right now). Basically, for these and other reasons I'd rather pace myself on this until my confidence is built up to where I know I'm gonna be ready to do it.

EDIT: I should also note that when I first started investing in high-performance computer systems, I totally had to explain myself when I did my first mod shop order back in '98. That's primarily because at the time they didn't know their Origin from their HP, meaning the uncharted territory excuse was in play from the minute I broke the news of what I was doing. (I had already done my research to counter the concern, of course.) So comparatively speaking, the license/listing fee explanation that's about to come is not without its fair share of established precedent (but as it's basically like paying the classified department fee at the local press office for the next day's newspaper I'm hoping that the plan to come at it from that angle will do the same thing).

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  5. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, so I know it's not exactly 72 hours since my last update on this (so forgive me, mods) but I wanted to let y'all know that I 'bout ready to do it now. And thanks again for all the advice to this point.

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Commercial RPG Maker Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

7. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I have officially done it. As I am obviously still new at this, my final question while I enter this phase relates to how long after submitting my financial information and tax forms before the app ID becomes available relative to a first time development process. On average, that is.

Anyway, while I wait for the next step to be available I will have even more questions about my project design. I'm adding more and more content that's influenced by the design of games from across the spectrum of presentation forms and have been adding in all kinds of tributes to some of my all-time favourites and will be discussing this more after my weekly cleaning shift is done, so please stay tuned for more information on this aspect.

EDIT: What a noob question that was. Just logged in to check and it's all set to go! Which basically means that my only question now is proceeding with the process of actually providing the game information for the app ID to be 100% ready.

EDIT 2: Another noob question. With the name set and filing complete the only thing I have left is a question of maturity classification in respect to plot development for which I'll direct attention over this way. Aside from that I am essentially done with this phase of the conversation so I'm going to defer accordingly.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  8. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.