Still getting extreme lag in latest version of RPG Maker playtest

Discussion in 'Product Discussion and Support' started by clitvin, Nov 22, 2019.

1. clitvin

clitvin Veteran Veteran

I cannot figure out why this is happening, But after running rpg maker for a few minutes the frame rates drop.
    Restarting playtest will reset back to 60fps for the same scene but after using it for some time in play test hopping in and out of battles, the performance drops.
    This is with no plugins. And its always at 60fps on a fresh launch but drops over time.
    When ever i do a performance test, the problem is always inside pixi.js and always in the texture upload.
    I have no events running / no parallel events, no auto runs, and I'm not using any pictures.
    Just a blank map hopping in and out of battles.
    upload_2019-11-21_20-10-32.png
    upload_2019-11-21_20-10-3.png

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Did you update your PROJECT? MV can be any version, but if you didn't update the project itself you will be running the old code with the memory leak, which is what it sounds like you are doing.

3. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    MV version?

Could be a memory leak.

4. clitvin

clitvin Veteran Veteran

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    core 1.6.2 is free of memory leaks.
    However that does not mean your plugins are free of such leaks, so I suffest you gve us a screenshot of your plugin manage to see what youÄve done there.

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No plugins, @Andar.

What events and common events do you have running? What sort of images are you loading? Do you have just the default resources or have you added your own? Are you using a map made in the engine, or a parallax map? What is your map size?

Also, when you updated your project to the latest version, did you also update the other js subfolders? Everything in there needs to be updated, apart from your plugins folder and plugins.js file (which doesn't really matter for you, as you're not using any plugins).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  7. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Shaz he dont run any events, or images, just a black map with ranom encounters so far he said.

While he said pixi.js is the problem, it might be corrupt.

Did you make a clean project and re-produce the problem?
    does it still persist in a clean project?

you need to give much more information out there.
    what did you try to solve it etc.

8. clitvin

clitvin Veteran Veteran

There is technically one event on the map. Its a tranfer event to another map. I was testing to see if I can reproduce if i just transfer between maps without battles. And yes, it has the same result.

@ShadowDragon i tried to copy the pixi.js from a clean project. And yes New project with 2 maps and battles also has the same issue for me.

What ever the issue is its on map load. And I’m not convinced its a memory leak. Because after causing the issue if i continue to reload the map either by battles or map changes it will eventually resolve.

From what i can tell there is a small (maybe 2-5% chance or less to get this state on any map if i reload or re enter the same map many times) and if i change maps the issue goes away. Once i go back to the map that has the issue there is a 2-5% chance it will self correct. Is there some map data that persists if you leave the map and return? Because thats what seems to be going on. Its almost like something does not get properly unloaded or refreshed. Either that or pixi.js it’s self is caching something.

Some more info i can think of. There are no auto tiles on these blank maps. There are no common events. The problem as reported by the browser is always in texture upload of pixi.js. My video card is a 1070 nvidia i have updated the graphics drivers yesterday and it had no effect on the issue.

Edit: One other thing id like to mention is that it does not appear to be maxing out the cpu on my machine the cpu is idlying while the game is lagging and my pc is responsive. The memory ussage is also low.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  9. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If that is the case then it is a background process causing the lag more than likely. MV will often slow down if your CPU decides to run other things in the background. I had one of the engines drop to 2 FPS due to a windows update downloading in the background, and the download was hogging all of the resources. Other possibilities are anti-virus programs, browser updates, or anything set to auto-update.

About the only other suggestion is to upload your test project (make sure you have no DLC in it per the terms of use) and see if someone else can reproduce it.