ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just so my own understanding is clear, what exactly is causing MV to no longer work on macOS? Is it OpenGL deprecation? Currently I am able to run MV and anything I deploy on my macbook air running Mojave (10.14) without issue so I am curious if whatever the issue happens only on newer versions (Catalina and/or Big Sur).

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just so my own understanding is clear, what exactly is causing MV to no longer work on macOS? Is it OpenGL deprecation? Currently I am able to run MV and anything I deploy on my macbook air running Mojave (10.14) without issue so I am curious if whatever the issue happens only on newer versions (Catalina and/or Big Sur).

It's definitely Catalina in our case but a user reported that just reinstalling the software works. Big Sur has been quiet.

They also removed support for 32bit applications so software like WINE doesn't work anymore.

But IDK, OMORI is working on a Mac Catalina. His problem is more on deployed games and that's like a huge problem that is dependent on a lot of factors.

I mean whenever people ask us about Mac issues, I do reply with what are people's specs and I have yet to receive a reply on the forum on some threads.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's definitely Catalina in our case but a user reported that just reinstalling the software works. Big Sur has been quiet.

They also removed support for 32bit applications so software like WINE doesn't work anymore.

But IDK, OMORI is working on a Mac Catalina. His problem is more on deployed games and that's like a huge problem that is dependent on a lot of factors.

I mean whenever people ask us about Mac issues, I do reply with what are people's specs and I have yet to receive a reply on the forum on some threads.

Right, it basically sounds like a toss up on some newer Mac versions which given how Apple has been doing things recently, not surprising. I think a lot of devs as well as the RM team want to provide Mac support, but Apple just makes that difficult and I imagine that unless future RM one day adapts using Metal, there won't be direct Apple OS support (unless we are going to count browser support). Doing that will make being cross platform very difficult or difficult enough to probably not be worth the effort for a small engine like RM.

I would upgrade to test Big Sur for both the editor and deployment, but that is way too risky for the gains in my opinion (while also possibly making my old macbook not really usable anymore). Unfortunately, VMing it isn't exactly legal either for Mac OS.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately, VMing it isn't exactly legal either for Mac OS.
How can it not be legal to install a virtual machine? Do they specifically cite it in their terms of use?

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How can it not be legal to install a virtual machine? Do they specifically cite it in their terms of use?

Their eula states the host must also be a Mac OS machine.

Most developers would probably want more a hackintosh approach i.e. run Big Sur virtually off a Windows 10 host which their terms do not permit.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bizarre. It seems like Apple wants people who use computers at a higher-than-casual level to hate them.
Microsoft and Apple are both control freaks. I mean, Apple doesn't like you taking your Apple devices to a non-Apple technician for repairs.

ChampX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the takeaway from this thread is Apple's decisions with their newer OS versions essentially just screw over developers with their walled garden approach. You either develop for them exclusively, or you basically just do not develop for them at all. It does not help that platforms like Steam now require your game to be signed and notarized by Apple which requires paying the yearly Apple developer fee (I believe $110 usd/yr) which for most RM developers just isn't feasible. I am not too familiar with the iOS world but I hear from someone I know who has done iOS development in general that Apple has always been notorious for breaking compatibility with each major iOS update. I can only imagine how tedious that would be to maintain for RM in general. Only big engine players can manage to keep up and little RM would have to adapt the subscription/royalty business model mentioned earlier in this thread.

Seems also a lot of developers are also abandoning Mac OS as well because Apple continually makes it difficult to make supporting their platform alongside others manageable. My current project I am supporting Mac OS but I may drop them by the time I release officially.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's a shame that Selection Control will not be ported to MZ. I found a neat way of using it to enable ways for tanks to protect squishies. lol
Lately I have been taking a break from game and resource making so I won't get burnt out. But I am also interested in the Game Jams this site periodically holds. It'd be great if I knew when the next one, if any, is planned.
elexy 1.2.pngSome bust art to be cropped and cleaned. May use in special decision moments. Depending on how it looks in game I may cut it.
Tiamat-86 wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
apparently since its turning 15 years old this year the ps3 is considered "retro". now how old do you feel?
guess that means im an "antique" gamer since ill still play games as old as i am.
"you know your getting old when your childhood console changes ethnicity" lol it turned yellow
I'm making Toilet in Wonderland 2. and tell vinny about it lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ven_0