Stone and magma minotaur (updated)

Discussion in 'Resource Requests' started by Michael Caiola, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Michael Caiola

Michael Caiola The Stone Bull Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Resource Type: Face, walk, battler

Maker Format: MV

Art Style: Standard RMMV style

Description: UPDATE: With help from Chalkdust and Bernard693 and resources from RavenBlackbird, I've put together the base character. See:

TaurusFace.png TaurusWalk.png TaurusBattler.png

What I need now is a version of these where the character's stone body has started to crack and magma can be seen through the crack lines. Dark Specter from Power Rangers is a good example. It doesn't have to be this detailed.

Dark Specter and Dark Fortress.jpg

ORIGINAL: One of my heroes is based on the Taurus Zodiac sign. Taurus is an earth sign, so I want him to look like a minotaur that is made out of obsidian. I also want a separate sprite set for when he powers up that looks like cracked obsidian with magma showing beneath. Basically like Dark Specter from Power Rangers (see below). If possible, I'd like him (in both sprite sets) to be a little taller than normal sprites. About the height of my centaur fellow (see below). @chalkdust has a great Minotaur walk sprite set that can be used as a starting point (see below). For body proportions, keep the head the same size and make the body larger to add the height. I think that would look best. I'm not picky, so I don't care about the little details. Thanks in advance to whomever might take this on.

NOTE: If all you can do are the sprites, then that's still helpful. I can worry about the face later.

Reference Images: *Removed or moved*

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2016
  2. chalkdust

chalkdust Resource Staff Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Hi there! Just to clarify, that particular minotaur is just a simple recolor of the RTP minotaur. I just didn't like the purple.

I'm sorry that I don't have the time to fulfill the whole request, but I've made these to help give you a better starting point. Please note that the horns used here come from hiddenone's generator add-ons, so be sure to credit hiddenone if you use this.

SV_Minotaur.png

TV_Minotaur.png

TVD_Minotaur.png

Leon Kennedy likes this.
  3. Michael Caiola

First Language:
    English
    That's awesome! Thank you! Did you make that in the generator?

4. chalkdust

First Language:
    English
    Yes, I used the generator - with some adjustments. First, I have the files in my thread you need to add the minotaur as a "Facial Mark". Second, the minotaur head is smaller than the human head, so the default human base body needs to be temporarily renamed so that it doesn't appear at all. Third, I had to manually realign a small part of hiddenone's horns that didn't line up due to the head shape. Finally, I recolored the eyes. This all took about 5 mins, maybe. Making it taller and creating the magma cracking version would take considerably longer, but hopefully somebody can spare the time to help you out.

5. Michael Caiola

First Language:
    English
    Awesome, thanks for the tip. I'm putting it together now.

Do you have SV generator parts for these horns?

N6o1LcV.png

Also, where can I find the base parts? Including the underwear. I need to make it darker to match the skin tone.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  6. chalkdust

First Language:
    English
    I don't have SV for those horns -- that's why I opted for hiddenone's horns instead. There's also a very simple horn option in accessories but it'll have to be manually realigned on the side walking sprites due to head shape. The parts for the minotaur body are all in my thread in the first section (templates) and in a zip file attached to the first post.

7. Michael Caiola

First Language:
    English
    I got the minotaur parts already, thank you. But you said I would need to temporarily remove the base body. Where could I find that?

I prefer your horns, so I'll use those with hiddenone's for the the sv horns for now. Maybe I'll tackle sv versions of yours. I turned hiddenone's centaur sprites into sv sprites with pretty good results, so I should be able to pull it off.

I also found the stock minotaur face that I can edit, so with that and your assistance, I'll be able to design a character I was dreading because I thought I'd have to do it from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  8. chalkdust

First Language:
    English
    The base body I'm referring to is the one in your Generator\TV\Male folder. It's TV_Body_p01.png. Just rename it to p02, make the character you want, then fix the name to return it to normal. (This simply prevents the human body from sticking out behind the minotaur body since they aren't exactly the same size.)

9. Michael Caiola

First Language:
    English
    Awesome, thanks again.

While I have you, what does RTP stand for? I've gathered that it means something is proprietary to the game, but I'm fuzzy on what exactly it means.

10. chalkdust

First Language:
    English
    In earlier versions of RPGMaker the graphics and audio resources were bundled into a separate download called a "Runtime Package". This was a way of reducing the file size of individual games since a lot of the resources were shared among many games. "RTP" became a common way of saying "the default resources" that come with the engine. A lot of people still use the term out of habit, but technically MV doesn't have an actual Runtime Package so it doesn't really mean what it used to.

The old RTP's (for the engines that have them) are here, along with an explanation:

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/additional/run-time-packages

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2016
  11. Michael Caiola

First Language:
    English
    Okay, that makes sense.

12. Bernard693

Bernard693 Villager Member

First Language:
    Français
  13. Michael Caiola

First Language:
    English
    Wow. That's perfect. I've been toying with one using the stuff chalkdust showed me, but that looks so much more like I what I envisioned. Thanks for sharing that with me.

Bernard693 likes this.
  14. Michael Caiola

First Language:
    English
    Am I allowed to bump my own threads?

15. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I had gotten the impression you had what you needed on this. So, you still need the Minotaur completed?

16. Michael Caiola

First Language:
    English
    I just need the magma version. I actually did get A LOT of good help getting the main spites done. I updated the OP with the stone minotaur face, walk, and battler. I need a version of it that looks like the stone is cracking and magma is showing through, like the picture of Dark Specter I had in the OP.

17. Michael Caiola

First Language:
    English
    Bump

18. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've completed your battler, which probably had the most time to get done. I'll try to get the others out to you today, as well.

Minobattle.png

chalkdust and Michael Caiola like this.
  19. Michael Caiola

First Language:
    English
    ...Holy sheep...

I don't even... wow.

Um, that is absolutely amazing. I don't know how to thank you for this.

I got so excited about this that I didn't see my coffee table and ran my shin right into it.

Thank you so much.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I love the little change in eye color. That's just... beautiful. This came out so much better than I had ever hoped for.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
    mlogan likes this.
  20. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @BryanBatcher,

I didn't change the battler size, just layered the over the top of what you had. I tested it in-game, as well, and the continuity looks pretty good. I've added the other two pieces. The face I'm not all that happy with, but maybe somebody else would be able to make that look better. Make sure to save the sprite with a "$" sign, so that it works properly. Good luck with your project, and don't forget to credit the artists who own the pieces. Have a good one!

Minobattle.png

Minoface.png

$Minowalk.png

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
    Michael Caiola likes this.