Stoneskin /Damage Wall State

Nohmaan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I've been a pretty frequent 'status effect' requester lately, so I hope one more isn't a burden!  (Thanks to those who have answered previously!)

By activating 'Stoneskin' state, your character gets a pool of extra HP that the state absorbs before it disappears.  For the purposes of the script, the damage pool would be set by a formula in the script (either based off a stat like 10% MHP or a flat number like 1000).

When Stoneskin is active all damage dealt to your character is applied against the Stoneskin until the damage is reached, then the state is removed and you begin taking damage where Stoneskin left off.  i.e.

Character A has 1000 HP and the Stoneskin formula is 15% MHP.

Character A uses Stoneskin, gains the state (Stoneskin is 150 HP).

Enemy attacks for 100 damage.

Character takes 0 damage (but Stoneskin drops to 50HP).

Next turn:

Character takes 50 damage and Stoneskin is removed.

Stoneskin can be applied on top of an existing Stoneskin state, however, the State resets to the inital Stoneskin amount (it doesn't add):

Character A has Stoneskin 150 HP.

Character A has Stoneskin 50 HP remaining.

Character uses Stoneskin again.

Character A has Stoneskin 150 HP.

Stoneskin should be able to absorb damage from state damage, like poison or etc.

There doesn't need to be a way to view remaining StoneSkin HP with this request (in fact, I prefer not being able to see it).

Possible Features

• <Bypass Stoneskin> tag for attacks that ignores Stoneskin if active.
  • Ability to set custom formulas per state in the state's Notes
  • <Stoneskin: X> where X = the % damage Stoneskin will absorb of each hit (rather than taking all the damage up front).  X 100 would be all damage.  This could be used to create a skill that always takes a % of damage (with a super high HP amount) for a duration of turns.
  • <Stoneskin Weakness: X,X,X> where X is the element ID where 2x damage is dealt to the Stoneskin barrier.  This would allow you to have a Fire barrier, Water barrier, etc with weakness to damage types.
  • Option to show remaining HP for StoneSkin.  This could be accomplished as another layer over the player's HP that indicates the % of stoneskin remaining before draining the regular HP bar.
Additional Ideas

• With Progressive States, this could also be used for effects such as 'If Stoneskin remains active for more than 5 turns, Petrify the character' or other interesting elements.

Liquidize

Caffeine Overload
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I could take this on after I finish up with the Shadow Partner plugin. I actually have experience with this type of state as I was a healer in Final Fantasy 14 :p . So this should be fun to make. If you don't mind waiting till the other is completed.

Nohmaan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I could take this on after I finish up with the Shadow Partner plugin. I actually have experience with this type of state as I was a healer in Final Fantasy 14 :p . So this should be fun to make. If you don't mind waiting till the other is completed.
No worries!  I leveled White Mage to i100 in XIV as well and I got a lot of inspiration for skills from that game.

Riff

Eorzean
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, wow! Was about to make the same request.

And yes, I was a White Mage in XIV before I decided to main the Scholar, and finally Astrologian. xD

But it's not the right place to discuss this. Just here to support this request, as I was gonna do very similar request. :)

EDIT:

Actually, the idea of the formula is even better. Like a heal formula (a.mat*2+b.luk) that gives Adquolium shield effect and the Stoneskin formula can easily be (b.mhp*0.2).

Last edited by a moderator:

Roguedeus

It's never too late to procrastinate...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This would be great as is, but I am having an idea explosion...

1. The ability to assign the state specific types of skin... Stoneskin being just one. You might have a Stone Skin State, and an Arcane Barrier State or something... (Two or more layers active at once)
  2. The ability to assign one type to overwrite another... If you have Stoneskin I on, and apply Stoneskin II, then Stoneskin I is replaced. Etc...
  3. The ability to assign regeneration to the skin? So that it will heal by a certain amount every turn.
  4. The option of permanence, so if it drops to ZERO is doesn't get removed, it just has no effect until it heals. (Would be contingent on having regeneration though) This would be great for passive states that mimic natural Thickened Hide that must heal rather than be re-applied) Which would sorta need the first suggestion to function well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nohmaan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This would be great as is, but I am having an idea explosion...

1. The ability to assign the state specific types of skin... Stoneskin being just one. You might have a Stone Skin State, and an Arcane Barrier State or something... (Two or more layers active at once)
  2. The ability to assign one type to overwrite another... If you have Stoneskin I on, and apply Stoneskin II, then Stoneskin I is replaced. Etc...
  3. The ability to assign regeneration to the skin? So that it will heal by a certain amount every turn.
  4. The option of permanence, so if it drops to ZERO is doesn't get removed, it just has no effect until it heals. (Would be contingent on having regeneration though) This would be great for passive states that mimic natural Thickened Hide that must heal rather than be re-applied) Which would sorta need the first suggestion to function well.
I think #1 would be doable so long as you're able to specify the state as a Stoneskin with a note tag.  My thinking was by adding <Stoneskin: X> to the tag it makes the state now a stoneskin state which absorbs X amount or % of damage.  Then you could have <Stoneskin HP: X> for the formula for how much HP it has.  But yeah, that's a good idea to have maybe <Stoneskin: Ignore Physical> and <Stoneskin: Ignore Magical> for more variation.

#2 you should be able to do with just states (just add a remove 100% Stoneskin I to the skill that applies Stoneskin II)

#3 I like, this gives you like a 'Shields' effect (like Halo or something).  Would be really cool for a mecha game or a character/armor that has a regenerating magic shield status (using Yanfly auto-states would work).  I think that would do #4 as well.

Roguedeus

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The #1 & #2 suggestion were more to complement your intended method of renewing the state. I assumed that if more than one state had the note tag, the highest HP value would overwrite the last. At least that's the way it seems to be described. But if multiple states with the same effect can exist at once, then your idea of splitting the application between hit types becomes the crux. Being able to assign it to only block magic or physical or even certain (or a combination) would be sweet.

The Halo comparison is apt. I am imagining a troll like character that regenerates its flesh armor (that can't block magic) or a magical creature that has a natural anti-magic barrier (that can't block physical) it can't turn off, but only allow to regenerate... Etc...

Liquidize

Caffeine Overload
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will start on this after I release a fix for the other state script later today.

Roguedeus

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Out of curiosity, how will the player know how many HP remain?

Liquidize

Caffeine Overload
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Out of curiosity, how will the player know how many HP remain?
I plan to have it show over their HP bar. Like turn part of the bar a different color indicating how much percentage of their HP is covered by the shield, or something. This isn't guaranteed though, and it may just be a matter of showing a number to make it simpler, since there are many battle huds that rewrite the gauges and I'd like to maintain compatibility.

Nohmaan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I plan to have it show over their HP bar. Like turn part of the bar a different color indicating how much percentage of their HP is covered by the shield, or something. This isn't guaranteed though, and it may just be a matter of showing a number to make it simpler, since there are many battle huds that rewrite the gauges and I'd like to maintain compatibility.
I originally had that in mind if there was a bar, but the only challenge with that is that it is more difficult to be functional if you want to have multiple Stoneskin states.  The only way it would work there is if only the most current Stoneskin state taking damage was displayed in the bar.

I think maybe another idea would be to draw a smaller 'HP' bar on top of the state icon.  (Here I have a physical 'Stoneskin' state and a already damage 'Magic Barrier' state)

Alternatively, to avoid clutter here or compatability with HUDs that handle states or cycling through them, you could draw the icon and bar over by the Actor.

Going that route a nice touch would be to have the option to set the HP bar color per state.  Dunno, I'll think about it more too but that might work out for most users.

Roguedeus

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
HP on the state icon, is a great idea.

Riff

Eorzean
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will have to define which state takes damage first. One way of doing it is by using the priority field.

If the stoneskin hp is drawn on the actor's hp bar, i hope it would be relative to that actor's current hp. But will have to set handling for total stoneskin hp more than actor's maxhp. (Not that i personally will go beyond this limit, but others might).

Liquidize

Caffeine Overload
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will have to define which state takes damage first. One way of doing it is by using the priority field.

If the stoneskin hp is drawn on the actor's hp bar, i hope it would be relative to that actor's current hp. But will have to set handling for total stoneskin hp more than actor's maxhp. (Not that i personally will go beyond this limit, but others might).
If it were to be drawn on the HP bar, it would be like some boss fights. Where they have multiple HP bars, and the bar just renews itself when you get the bar before it to 0. If you know what I mean, explained it poorly lol.

Riff

Eorzean
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it were to be drawn on the HP bar, it would be like some boss fights. Where they have multiple HP bars, and the bar just renews itself when you get the bar before it to 0. If you know what I mean, explained it poorly lol.
I think I do. Lol. Like different colours.

Liquidize

Caffeine Overload
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I plan to start this now, so any last feature request before I begin to get into release version?

Nohmaan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I plan to start this now, so any last feature request before I begin to get into release version?
I think I'd like to specifically request that if HP bars are enabled it be on the state icon (like the pictures).  I think it would look pretty cool to have that for the menus and stuff out of battles if you had the state persist.

Liquidize

Caffeine Overload
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well here is the feature set that will be coming with release, at least what is planned.

I'm calling it Shield States, just so you get what I'm talking about below lol.

- States will be given notetags which can turn them into damage absorbing or reducing shields.

- You will be able to have more than 1 shield active, it will use the states priority to determine which shield is used first if the attack can be handled by more than 1.

- Shields will be able to absorb or reflect damage up to X amount, based on the formula given.

- Shields will be able to use "Damage formulas" to determine how much it blocks or reflects.

- Shields will be able to block certain damage types (Magical,Physical,Certain Hit).

- Shields will be able to block/reflect specific or all element types.

- Shields will use the status icons to show their effectiveness remaining, as well as be able to change the color of the bar used via notetag.

- Shields can be persistent and remain after battle, allowing for passive shields.

- Shields can be rechargeable allowing for them to remain, but have to regenerate their power over time.

Anything else?

Riff

Eorzean
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well here is the feature set that will be coming with release, at least what is planned.

I'm calling it Shield States, just so you get what I'm talking about below lol.

- States will be given notetags which can turn them into damage absorbing or reducing shields.

- You will be able to have more than 1 shield active, it will use the states priority to determine which shield is used first if the attack can be handled by more than 1.

- Shields will be able to absorb or reflect damage up to X amount, based on the formula given.

- Shields will be able to use "Damage formulas" to determine how much it blocks or reflects.

- Shields will be able to block certain damage types (Magical,Physical,Certain Hit).

- Shields will be able to block/reflect specific or all element types.

- Shields will use the status icons to show their effectiveness remaining, as well as be able to change the color of the bar used via notetag.

- Shields can be persistent and remain after battle, allowing for passive shields.

- Shields can be rechargeable allowing for them to remain, but have to regenerate their power over time.

Anything else?
Looking good. :)

Nohmaan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This ended up a lot more ambitious than I originally intended but I am very excited to see this one come out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

XwwX OMG! Only 4 more weeks till I can leave my crappy job and never ever go back! I am SO freaking excited!!!
Sometimes, it's so hard to resist
"this boss is too easy, what if I add more gimmicks". Then I remember most of my players might be already dying fighting the boss.
You certainly should show love and recognition to teammates who have achieved great success! Congrats Eli!
Just 2 Days of no Internet and I made more Progress in my Game than last 2 Weeks combined. Now I know, Internet makes me a Lazy person.. :D
I'm back to the bugs.
100 bugs in my coding,
take one down,
fix it up,
132 bugs in my coding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mon_chu