Storing text inputs? (Naming a lot of animals)

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm so I kind of have a taming type game, but we all know when you tame something you want to be able to name it!
How could you not want to name a cute, sketched face like this?

1585538820256.png

SO, If there was a way to assign "names" to events or have the game remember/call on a previous player input somehow, either in the event themselves, by naming a variable with a string, or script calls, etc. it'd be amazing! I was kind of hoping to allow the player to have a lot of these critters in "storage" (think pokemon boxes, you just don't have access to more than 10 on a map at time) but that it remembers nicknames you give them.
Uses
Action input > "NAME is doing well today!"​

"Who would you like to use this item on?​
> CRITTER 1 NAME
CRITTER 2 NAME
CRITTER 3 NAME"​
"NAME's training went well!"​
Using Actors?
I thought about using actor names, but it being a taming game and there being quite a few to "catch" if say the max storage was 50 of these critters, that's 50 actor names, and I am not sure if that's too heavy on the system to have that many actors? :kaoback: I am still learning what makes mv tick while developing the core game mechanics.

Using Plugins?
I took a look at some plugins like yanfly's item name plugin but it requires the item core, which I would like to avoid adding two entire heavy plugins just to name characters and use none of the other features. But also worry that it may conflict with further inventory/etc development.​

Any advice/ideas on this would be great! <3 Thankiiies!​

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can turn a single variable into array and store those names if you don't mind using script calls and understand array. I use that a lot. It won't cause issue if you know what you are doing.

To turn a variable into array, you just have to do this initially. Call it only ONCE.
1585545569974.png

After name input processing, store that actor name into variable ID which you turn into array before using this script call :
$gameVariables.value(VAR_ID).push($gameActors.actor(ACTOR_ID).name)

It should look like this :
1585545524152.png

You can later access the array via using another variable.
1585545260634.png

variable VAR_ID is the variable which you turn into array. The number [0] is the new ID you created when storing that actor name updated in order manner.

This is how it should look when you acessed 2 name you have already stored :
1585545967463.png

You can safely use Var A and Var B in show text or show choices using \V[ID]. It will show those names you stored.

Last edited:

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ohhh yeah that's the sort of thing I was thinking of! I think I saw something like this but didn't understand what they were saying all that well :kaoblush: but this explanation was very well made! Thanks so much! I'll do some testing with this to make sure I totally understand it before closing the thread!

Errr actually I would like to see just a list of completed events if that's alright, so an example of it in its full glory haha- just to make sure I PERFECTLY understand how it should be.

Last edited:

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bahasa
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's not much different. Using push will store a newly created array ID. To update already existing ID, you only need to access it directly.

$gameVariables.value(VAR_ID)[ARRAY_ID] = $gameActors.actor(ACTOR_ID).name
Should've looked like this :
1585549560498.png

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kuro DCupu

Do you mind writing me up a faux screenshot example of using an event to set a name then accessing it? Then an event to change the name?

*screes* I totally trust myself to get confused so I want to make absolute sure I know what it should look like filled in and in use! <3 But once I've seen an example of it in practice it I should be A+ to use it on my own! And I'll be able to use it for other things- :kaopride:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I based this on the armor of Actor 1_7 of the RTP. Hair is from Derex and Sythian Bard.
Stream will be live shortly! Going to do another art stream tonight so that I can finish my Fauna Focus piece~ Feel free to drop by!
Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubacard