Stormblood [Download]

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by Empiron, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Empiron

Empiron Shield Thrower Veteran

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Download Now! Stormblood 2.2 (Various bugfixes and balance changes)

Download Here (Contains RTP and Non RTP links)

Patch Notes

-Added 2 new skills to the Skill Shop : Mass Paralysis and Blinding Light

-Removed the save point in the Astrum Underground

-Editted various mapping

-Added a 50% HP gain after using Phoenix Blood

-Reduced more power of the Astrum Guard

-Reduced the power of the last 3 Boss fights

-Added item Phoenix Blood (Revives an Ally) to the General Store

-Reduced the power of Astrum Magi

-Added more loot chests

-Added Save points in Oculus Forest and Morien Abbey

-Reduced the health of the first Knights of Oculus

-Fixed a bug that caused the game to freeze after sparing the pub thugs

-Fixed chairs that cut off the top of people's heads

-Added missing voices

-Fixed a bug at the Throne Room entrance that caused a teleport to a dungeon and getting stuck

Judges Version 1.0 (June 30th Finish Date)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/schij5a9567dqux/AADa2Yjlx_mN87O4OXCqlX9Ua  (Contains RTP and Non RTP links)

Synopsis

Stormblood is an Action Packed Fantasy RPG  - You play Valence Stormblood, a Bloodshifter from Castle Astrum. 

The people of Astrum are most well known as the 'Blooddrinkers', 

A Shifter is a rare form of Blooddrinker, able to take the form of a being after consuming. 

This Story places you right in the action, starting in the outskirts of Fort Visus (An Oculus Stronghold guarding a sacred relic 'The Sages Book' )

The proceeding events are a Story for you to tell...

Trailer (Because why not)

Screenshots

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]    

Gameplay Features-

FULLY VOICE ACTED

Can change form to determine different courses of events 

Drink the blood of the enemy and gain their knowledge of Skills

Good/Evil Morality - Will you use your Silver tongue and persuade people to do your work? Or be a Murderous Antichrist?

Heavily Story focussed

4 Chapters

About me

Hi, my name is Andrew De Pury, I am a Theatre and Voice Actor, and an aspiring Game Maker, I have used RPG Maker VX and Ace since 2011ish.

Anyways, thank you for reading this and I hope you enjoy playing the game as much as I did creating it!

Credits

ACTORS : 

Andrew De Pury

Tom Fisher

Sarah Pearcey

SCRIPTS: 

Modern Algebra- Quest Journal

Ventwig- HP Bars

Zeus81- Fullscreen ++ and Lighting Script

Diamond and Platinum3 - Character name Window

and Morality Script

Vlue- Options Menu

Mr Trivel - Stat Points

Special thanks to Gump for permission to use script 

but not ultimately used in final product

MUSIC:

JdbArtist -  Inspiration Music Vol 1 + 2 

Adrian Von Ziegler / Peter Crowley - Wolf Blood

PICTURES:

All pictures taken and edited from Morguefile.com

ART:

RPG Maker Vx Ace RTP

Closet / Closet Ace  - Facesets, Battlers, Windowskin,

Celianna- Tilesets

tkool - Female face generator

SOUND EFFECTS:

Taken from freesound.org

pcruzn - Ghostly Transition 

klankbeeld - Cry of Great Public

flashkit.com

soundbible.com

soundjay.com - Scream sound effect

Mapping, Eventing and Story created by 

Andrew De Pury

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
    Silvestre and valkill101 like this.
  2. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Very interesting. I like the idea of changing your form and having the freedom to be as good or evil as you want.

The fact that it's voice acted is a plus as well. I might give this a try :)

3. Zane

Zane Food for thought Veteran

First Language:
    US English
    I'm going to bookmark this and come back at it later, sounds really neat!

4. Alkorri

First Language:
    English
    Hey there, Empiron. I just finished your demo! Hope you don't mind some feedback.

Good effort! I like a game with unusual beginnings that puts you right in the action. The concept of taking on the form of another person through their blood makes for a neat twist. I also like the variety of powers, and picking up new skills from the blood of powerful people. I don't think defeating Titus gives you a new ability, however?

Another thing I liked is that the beginning doesn't dump a whole lot of exposition on you, and what little we know is gleaned from dialogue.

The battles are not too difficult, and my main gets just enough Vials of Blood to sustain him. When all fails, I still have my Vampiric Bite.

I find the main character likable and enjoy the bits of humour scattered here and there. At one point I burst out laughing at Valence's reaction to Ocuwasp ;)

The text could use some punctuation and editing, but that's just me.

I also like the moral choices. I am curious whether this gives you different endings depending on how Kind (or otherwise) you are.

Some of the voice acting is quite good, such as Titus. A few.. not as much ;D Still, it's good to have voices!

A game with vampires (Bloodsuckers) makes me want to see a more 'gothic' style window and a different font to give some atmosphere.

I like how the demo ended - I chose the non-aggressive option :)
    In short, I did find the game fun and wouldn't mind seeing more. Keep up the good work!

5. PheonixDeath1

PheonixDeath1 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Think you accidently disqualified yourself in your about me section

"So far I have made about 3-4 unfinished games and I never released them, so thanks to this Games Contest I have the motivation to finally complete one! "

6. Empiron

First Language:
    English
    In short, I did find the game fun and wouldn't mind seeing more. Keep up the good work!
    Hi there, thank you for the feedback! I am planning on getting a 'blood themed windowskin' it would make it a lot more pretty 

About the punctuation and editting, i'm finding it difficult whether to end sentences with a full stop or just leave it blank! It definitely needs working on!

About the voices, are there any people in particular you didn't find as good? There's not long left til the end of the competition but there's still time to change it! And I agree about Titus' voice, he has the best old man voice ever hahaha.

As the rest of the Story progresses your morality choices will influence the ending as well as the other choices you make within the game itself. (I just have to implement it all before I run out of time!)

But anyways thank you very much! 

I never released them because they were unfinished and the stories (in my opinion were bad).

I made this one from scratch from the day they announced the competition. And even if I didn't, the rules state we can use story ideas and resources from previous projects anyway.  

7. Alkorri

First Language:
    English
    No worries. Well, others might disagree but I thought the character Empiron's voice could use work.. :) After all, he's the first character to speak in the game so that tends to leave an impression. I wasn't sure about Valence's but I got used to him.

I don't mind helping with the editing, but you're right. Better finish the game and get any bugs and issues sorted first, before one worries about things like punctuation ;)

8. Empiron

First Language:
    English
    Yes I agree about Empiron! The demo one I put as a temporary voice, There was someone I was going to get someone to play him specifically but he isnt able to do it now, so I need to find one I can do myself that doesnt sound like hes been 420 Chain Smoking.

I do the voice for Valence, I am trying to get his voice to be unique considering you will morph into different forms and we want to recognise him, but I hope it's tolerable enough! 

Once again thanks! I will see what I can do!

Alkorri likes this.
  9. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Thing is, once Judges read a line like that, it clearly implies that you completed an existing project that was started before the contest began.

Still, the game looks good. :)

10. Empiron

First Language:
    English
    Hmm alright, if it's going to be misinterpreted then I should probably delete what I said, it's only meant to mean it's not my first ever RPG i've ever made haha. 

The first 2 games you played as a Templar Commander, the 3rd you were a Ginger Haired Schoolboy, and the 4th you were a Pirate. 

This one is brand new and brewed up only this month

11. Empiron

First Language:
    English
    Had a bit of free time at work and made a Trailer, hope you enjoy!

P.S The Eye is always watching you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2014
  12. Empiron

First Language:
    English
    Game is complete and available to download! 

Please comment and support if you liked it!  <3

13. Empiron

First Language:
    English
    Have reuploaded Stormblood V2.0 which contains various bugfixes and a couple added savepoints and some monster balance changes!

14. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I figured I should go ahead and finish Stormblood--I was actually pretty close to the end, apparently.  I'll write a formal review tonight or tomorrow along with some other games, but I'll go ahead and give you some more detailed feedback now since it's fresh on my mind:

-The voice acting was pretty solid--I'd feel proud of that.  Some of the lines could have been refined a bit through some more takes, but my general impression was positive, and a lot of voice acting I've come across has been pretty dreadful.  After smoothing out some of the rough patches, you'd have a professional sounding game.

-The aesthetics in general worked for me.  Again, you had a few rough patches--when it's raining outside, it'll still rain indoors briefly, for example.  I was playing an older download, I think, so this might have gotten smoothed out.

-It's been a little while since I'd played the first 3/4ths or so, but I seem to remember running into a game-breaking bug in the tavern scene.  If I remember correctly, I was choosing honorable choices every time, and I think the game ran into a bug after I let the thugs go, so I had to kill them.

-I'm not sure I understand the impact of the honor system.  This could have affected something internally that I just didn't see, but it didn't seem to have an impact anywhere.

-I think the whole disguise system could have had more depth.  That's the unique aspect of this game, I felt, so a bit more attention to this would have been nice.  Generally, the choice is just a linear progression--you get a guard, change to the guard, get a priest, change to the priest, etc. I did like how you could (I assume) skip the outside battles after you've been labeled as a traitor, but I decided to berserker my way through them.  I had to live up to my title as bloodbrawler.  But, yeah, maybe having multiple different things you can transform into to add challenge to overcoming obstacles or adding multiple different ways to overcome obstacles would have added some depth to the system. 

-I think the class system might be unbalanced, but I only played through as a bloodbrawler, so I don't know.  A friend of mine picked bloodmagus and got stuck in the sewer area; mp seemed like a harder resource pool to manage, and spells felt kind of crappy for the mp cost, so I can see how that would have happened without proper preparation.  He might just have been poorly prepared, but, since you can get stuck there, that might be problematic.  For a game this short, the class system might be unnecessary, anyway.

-Likewise, I kind of wish stats were automatically allocated.  Stat-building can be interesting, but, as a blood brawler, going straight attack seemed obvious and didn't provide much thoughtfulness on my part.

-The enhanced vampiric bite seems overpowered.  By the end of the game, it was filling my life bar.  Considering that you set up one-character battles for the most part, I can see why this was necessary, but that's another problem altogether.  I'll hit on that next.

-The battles felt too samey.  This was especially true for the sewers (or was it just an underground path?  Sorry if I've been referring to an area that didn't exist--again, it's been a little while) and the post-traitor battles.  Again, the core problem here is that most battles involve one character, so it's really difficult to design battles around that while keeping them dynamic.  It's not impossible, but you've got to get tricky.

-I found it hard to connect with any of the characters.  Valence didn't have much depth, nor did any of the other vampires other than maybe Lyra, but the spotlight wasn't on her very long and I didn't get much from her personality other than she was torn between two sides.  Empiron was an evil-for-the-sake-of-it villain.  I think there probably just needed to be more time spent in the planning stages so you could really get a handle on these characters.

-Likewise, the plot was pretty stock.  The vampire hierarchy seemed to be pretty well-realized, but the nuts and bolts of the narrative was a standard frame-hero plot.  A stock plot can work if the characters are really engaging, but, like I said earlier, the characters were pretty flat.

-That ending couldn't have been more abrupt.  I've had a debate with another developer in this contest about the importance of an ending, so there are two sides to this, but I feel like an ending is incredibly important.  It's the last thing the audience is left with, so it carries a lot of weight.  Just immediately cutting to the credits after the final boss fight isn't very satisfying to the audience.

Anyway, you've got a good eye for presentation, but the core mechanics of your game need to be more fully realized (in the case of the bloodshifting) and have some added dynamics (in the case of your battles).  This is a game in which storytelling seemed like it should have been important, so I think you probably should have shifted your focus more towards crafting engaging characters instead of using most of the exchanges to just progress the narrative.

Empiron likes this.
  15. Empiron

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the feedback so far! In regards to the gamebreaking bugs they have been fixed, and I buffed Bloodmagus a bit to be on par with the rest of the classes. Also got rid of the save point underground so people cant get stuck if they weren't ready.

In regards to everything else I definitely agree! And I will use these pointers for future games I am hoping to make in the near future!

Oh man that ending, I had like half an hour to submit the entry and the final ending hadn't been completed yet. I had to just whack the credits at the boss fight but I would have loved to do more. 

It's amazing how fast a month can go by, and I was working on this like 8-10 hours a day. (Racked up a nice 190 hours of RPGVX Ace time on my steam for the month :D )

Once again, thanks! <3

16. Housekeeping

Housekeeping Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Haha, yeah, the time flew by.  I think that's a sign that game development is actually fun (in a weird, masochistic kind of way).

17. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

I’ll be honest, the dubbing was so hilariously mediocre I could not get past it to see the game without bias. While it seemed like the writing had some charm, the dubbing distracted me and destroyed it for me.

The combat was tedious, some skills were oddly unexplained (why doesn’t Vampire Bite SAY it drains HP? It’s the most important thing about it!). Combat got tedious quick with attack-attack-drain-repeat and nothing else really.

It was too early to see the plot or if there was exploration. I’m sorry, but I just could not get past the dubbing OTL The slowness of the intro (especially not being able to move dialog at your own pace and the slow, bland battles) didn’t do it any favors either.

18. Empiron

First Language:
    English
    Hello, thank you for the rundown. I hope you will sing Jesus Christ Superstar along with me "(Voice of Judas)

Ev'ry time I look at you

I don't understand

Why you let the things you did

Get so out of hand

You'd have managed better

If you'd had it planned

Now why'd you choose such a backward time

And such a strange land?

If you'd come today

You could have reached a whole nation

Israel in 4 BC

Had no mass communication

(Don't you get me wrong)

Don't you get me wrong

(Don't you get me wrong, now)

Don't you get me wrong

(Don't you get me wrong)

Don't you get me wrong

(Don't you get me wrong, now)

Don't you get me wrong

(Only want to know)

Only want to know

(Only want to know, now)

Only want to know

(Only want to know)

Only want to know

(Only want to know, now)

Only want to know

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Who are you? What have you sacrificed?

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Superstar

Do you think you're what they say you are?

Jesus Christ

Superstar

Tell me what you think

About your friends at the top

Now who d'you think besides yourself

Was the pick of the crop?

Buddah was he where it's at?

Is he where you are?

Could Mahomet move a mountain

Or was that just PR?

Did you mean to die like that?

Was that a mistake or

Did you know your messy death

Would be a record breaker?

(Don't you get me wrong) Don't you get me wrong

(Don't you get me wrong, now) Don't you get me wrong

(Don't you get me wrong) Don't you get me wrong

(Don't you get me wrong, now) Don't you get me wrong

(Only want to know) Only want to know

(Only want to know, now) Only want to know

(Only want to know) Only want to know

(Only want to know, now) I only want to know

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Superstar

Jesus Christ

Superstar

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ

Superstar

Jesus Christ

Superstar

Do you think you're what they say you are?"

19. xeroborn

xeroborn Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Holy sheep lol