Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I can't believe me of all people is saying this, but I'm considering story driven skill acquirement. I'm usually very into sandboxy stuff and simulations but that's just a big pain to make to be truthful xD

I still want choices however so I'm wondering how others would feel about my newly thought up plan.

First some context, the Commands in my game are basically just like regular skills in other games, I'll just show you since it's easier.
battle.PNG

So the default commands every character has is Attack and Rest (restores a small amount of your resources.) You also gain 1-2 additional commands based on what weapon + off-hand you choose. So essentially 2-4 abilities that you can freely use without any cost (Some might have cooldowns or limitations though).

So what about regular skills? I'm considering having each character start with a small amount of skills that are themed around their class/story/character. Each having kind of a role like tank, healer or dps.

But additional skills are gained from doing character quests, that are optional. Where is the choice you ask? Well depending on how you do the quest, the character gains a different skill.

Example: Zareth in the picture is actually an elf, but one with low magical potential (which is rare among elves). I'm thinking his first quest could go in two separate directions, hone his physical skills (more human like skill path) or return to his roots and master some magical skills. Or even a path that mixed with, using mana to empower physical attacks etc...

I'm also considering different ways of acquiring skills for all characters, a thief like character might steal techniques (like blue magic) and so you need to hunt down the enemies with the skills you can steal etc.

Think this can be interesting? Or should I also have additional skills you can just buy?

Tech

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Story-linked skill progression does sound a bit "railroady," but letting the player choose how the story goes does mitigate that. It does sound workable, and it'll encourage repeated playthroughs.
On linking skills to the player's actions in battle, would that extend to other classes, ex a Paladin or Cleric having to say their prayers during a fight?

Shikamon

The Fateless One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well maybe if it tied with some choice, it's gonna be good. like when player doing side quest for a party member, there's a choice where you give up some spellbook (meteor for example, a strongest offensive spell ) and you got another spell instead from NPC (miracle spell. a strongest support spell) that can be explain how that party member character development gonna turn into.

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, I do intend for there to be choices.

Not just ''do quest, get spell A''.

More like ''Do quest, choose between spell A,B,C or D. And by spell I mean passives that changes the way you play that character in some way. Its basically more like choosing a subclass essentially. (Depending on the character.)

Not planned anything yet, but if I were to make up an example on the spot, I could have a quest for the thief character who always wanted to be a mage. You might be able to help him accomplish his dream to a certain degree granting him the ability to steal spells, making him more of a blue mage. Or go in a different way where he specializes in what he is already good at making him able to see what items the enemies have and pick a specific one (snatch from visustella/yanfly). Perhaps also increasing steal chance or give something like Mug where he can deal damage while stealing. You get sort of like a subclass and it fits the story.

Tech

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think it sounds great. On the subject of just buying skills, maybe tie those skills to your character sidequests? Ex, a blue wizard can buy a couple black/white magic spells, and a mugger can buy a few warrior skills.

Nenen

Unproven Storyteller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I just have to say that I love the idea of Story-driven skill acquirement. It's honestly one of my favorite ways of doing so. It's one of the reasons KotOR 2 was so good, because you'd actually get something when your character learns something from others.

Also, as long as the story[ies] isn't linear, that problem is mostly avoided.

I also like most of your other ideas too. (Except for buying them, which I never was a big fan of personally)

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I just have to say that I love the idea of Story-driven skill acquirement. It's honestly one of my favorite ways of doing so. It's one of the reasons KotOR 2 was so good, because you'd actually get something when your character learns something from others.

Also, as long as the story[ies] isn't linear, that problem is mostly avoided.

I also like most of your other ideas too. (Except for buying them, which I never was a big fan of personally)

Like anything else, It depends on how it's done.

Buying my spells goes more into decision making and resource management. They are fairy expensive and limited in stock. They are Spellbooks you can equip and you can only equip 1 per character (depending on class) More rare or powerful ones can also be stolen from bosses, found in chests etc.)

Some classes interact with these spells better then others ofc. Warrior types don't have much MP or INT, but they can still have a buff. Those don't increase in power based on stats anyway.

Still just an idea though :p

StarCrunchRPG

Artist and Game Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly Skill acquirement like that can change a lot of situations, probably even how the story might end. I would like to do a similar concept with items instead. But I want it to have to do with the character's weapon. of course, I don't wanna add on to the game I'm currently working on so I've written it down in my notebook.

Willibab

The Lord of Whackery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have landed on a different system for now, but may keep aspects of this idea in the form of gaining new crystals (my new system).

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Pirate portrait quickie :LZYcheeze:
pirate.png
My game has a (much needed) tutorial now...
Game Making Every Day #20:kaohi:

ScreenShot_8_14_2022_11_55_51.png
FINALLY added the comic bubble to the Title Screen...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spiketrap