GolvaeGames

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I had an idea for a story where someone has been reversing time from a date where a cataclysmic event happens(im thinking something like a parasitic alien, like ff7 jenova or pharaoh 90 from sailor moon), and they have reversed time from this point many many times. So they've lived the same time period out several times over, almost like groundhog day but the time period that they are repeating is much longer. That person has used these repeats to develop technology quicker and further each time. This society this person created is self contained, and focused on developing something powerful enough to stop the event.

I want the player character to be someone who was born as a result of things that have been changed, and I want them to have some kind of way to stop this event, but everything I think of seems very "chosen one", deus ex machina (may not be a bad thing but I'd like do things like that a seldom as possible). The person that was messing with time is also removed from the equation, but there are consequences.

After that first part, the player would go through different time periods, and after working through that, deal with reality falling apart around them. I like where everything is going but after I thought about it, I feel like I just wrote the FF13 trilogy... Of course you could say almost all stories have been done before, but I'm just wondering if this is just too derivative

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
some parts is also veryclose to "Zelda: Majora's Mask" where it happens every 3rd day
at 12PM, so before that time, you need to play a song to go back to day 1, items gained
during the completion is keepable, other items are removed.

Some dungeons are only open on the 3rd day at 9AM, so you have very low time
to compleet it (around 30min I think?) if you cant make it, you need to do the full
part over again or play a song to go forward.

you it uses persistens switches/variables etc to get through the game, and untill
you have all the masks, you can stop the moon from falling on the world.

so you break the curse that someone cast on it.

while there can be many different stories around it, each has their own purpose
in the story, so in case you want to make something like that, try it to make it as
unique possible in some or many ways.

if they think what will happen, do the oppesite of it :)
it will probably wont be easy to make a game, but there are always different story
attached that can happen.

so you can make a shot and see where it goes from there :)

Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I wouldn’t worry about it too much. As long as they are YOUR unique characters with unique problems in YOUR setting, it will come off as unique. You could always sit down and think: what can I do to make this my own? What haven’t I seen been done with this archetype before?

It sounds like a great concept with good execution.

sb~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Eh, it's easy to get discouraged, but when I have a similar train of thought I'll think back to my theater class years and years ago. Essentially my teacher said that every plot that you could think of, more or less, has been conceived by someone at some point in time (even as far back as Ancient Greek times).

So don't worry about being original with the underlying plot/story. It's your voice and perspective that makes it unique. Unless you copy word for word from FF13 then you might have a problem.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a movie called "Source Code", a marine that lose hits legs, and cannot
do anything, so he is in some box to keep the brain alive and find a bomber on
the train, only when the bomb explode, he need to do it again and again untill
he find the bomber.

you can watch the movie or the trailer if you want to know what I'm talking about,
but there is much more than they say, the concept can be a bit the same, but
still, there can be 100's or 1000's stories be written in many ways.

source code is on a train,
Zelda Majora's Mask = the moon
the game you mentioned, I dont know,

some games have 1 hour limit or less (there is a game called 7 minutes) which
if you take to slow, it's game over, and I beat the game in 6 min and 45 seconds.
but it took me many, many tries though.

so you can make a concept or story around it like 2 hours in RL to beat it, else
it's game over :)

but if you make a game out of it in your way, I'm hope to be a beta tester to
see what I can break or suggestion etc :)

so any new story = a new story :) (most stories arent existed yet) until its exacly made ^^

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

#WIP Metal Tactics's TBS (2015 vs 2021)
VSt9pWc.png
ZXnpNYY.png
RPG Maker News #14 | Diffused Screen Effects, Unsellable Items, Ambient Synths, Adult Woman Set
If kids are going to be taught on computers and have access to the Internet, some basic knowledge of copyright should be a part of the grade school curriculum.
I have some news that I want to share - I've been accepted to university ^-^
I received some offers just over a month ago, but I wanted to make my choice and get things in place before sharing the news.
I'm super excited, and I'm very happy with my choice of program and school.
Yesterday I went to get some new jeans for my new job... and discovered I'm a plus size. I'm planning on dieting so I can get back to where I was before 2020. I decided on a Japanese food diet because the recipes I can cook at home are both low-calorie and delicious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arkauss