lovedtilldawn

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Greetings

I am very new to RPG Maker MV, recently purchased it off steam. I will be creating an rpg maker game for my school project. However what I had in mind was a story type game.
I.e, if a player takes an object or makes a decision it impacts them either there, or later on
example: A player choses to eat lunch alone thus transporting him to the stall, or the player has an option to take a knife early on, if he doesn't take it, during one of them battle he won't get an option to pull out the weapon

Is this possible for the software? My goal is not a fantasy rpg battle game, rather something in our mordern world. I apologize if this question seems naive and disrespectful, however any answer is appreciated.

HarlekinLehl

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure is possible. My dungeon system works in a similar manner if I read this correctly. But it sounds like Visual novel maker would've been more suited to your needs.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is absolutly doable. It's pretty easy with eventing, as long as you keep track of your switches and variables and use them at the right places on the event pages, conditional branches or common events. Please look up a few tutorials about that, I think that will help you quite a bit.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@lovedtilldawn
almost every game engine can do that, because it doesn't require anything more complex than variables and conditional branches - which exists everywhere.

the reason why it isn't done more often is the required workload compared to playing time for branching stories. Just think about it.

Let's assume you have a single decision point where the decision of the player results in following two different story-branches for five minutes each. That means that you as the developer have to work to create two times five minutes of gameplay, but the player will have only five minutes to play for the game.
Now multiply this with several decisions on each branch.
If there is a second decision in each branch adding 5 different minutes each, you'll have thirty minutes of gameplay to work on but the player will protest the short game of only 10 minutes to the end.

So yes, what you want is easily possible. It is just more work than most single-developers can put in, and a professional team can't do it because there would not be enough players to purchase the short game to allow for the work of multiple story branches.

And while there are tricks to shorten the workload by leading back to a main story no matter what the player does, those tricks are recognised as well by the player and backfire if you promised a branching story...

lovedtilldawn

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@lovedtilldawn
almost every game engine can do that, because it doesn't require anything more complex than variables and conditional branches - which exists everywhere.

the reason why it isn't done more often is the required workload compared to playing time for branching stories. Just think about it.

Let's assume you have a single decision point where the decision of the player results in following two different story-branches for five minutes each. That means that you as the developer have to work to create two times five minutes of gameplay, but the player will have only five minutes to play for the game.
Now multiply this with several decisions on each branch.
If there is a second decision in each branch adding 5 different minutes each, you'll have thirty minutes of gameplay to work on but the player will protest the short game of only 10 minutes to the end.

So yes, what you want is easily possible. It is just more work than most single-developers can put in, and a professional team can't do it because there would not be enough players to purchase the short game to allow for the work of multiple story branches.

And while there are tricks to shorten the workload by leading back to a main story no matter what the player does, those tricks are recognised as well by the player and backfire if you promised a branching story...
this was really helpful thanks, considering that this is for a school project, time is definitely a factor. I'll take yours and other's advices and look into it more before starting

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First of all, welcome to the forums and I think it's cool that you chose to make a game for one of your assignments.

Secondly, you got great advice above so I'll just add a tip:
Putting your storyline path(s) onto paper (or computer doc/app) before working further can save you a lot if time. It also makes it easier to spot what's left to do as you get further on your project.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

KenKrath

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Greetings

I am very new to RPG Maker MV, recently purchased it off steam. I will be creating an rpg maker game for my school project. However what I had in mind was a story type game.
I.e, if a player takes an object or makes a decision it impacts them either there, or later on
example: A player choses to eat lunch alone thus transporting him to the stall, or the player has an option to take a knife early on, if he doesn't take it, during one of them battle he won't get an option to pull out the weapon

Is this possible for the software? My goal is not a fantasy rpg battle game, rather something in our mordern world. I apologize if this question seems naive and disrespectful, however any answer is appreciated.
If I'm reading correctly you don't want any fighting elements but kind of an interactive story? Yes, it is possible through the conditional switches.

Players seem to like when each decision affects the story somehow and that's where the difficulty of this comes in.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

aww man, color hex code #C4C4C4 doesn't work for the tint value in this scene I need something darker, which stinks just because I liked that one it was my favorite plastic explosive three times...#696969 (nice) should work better (WHY IS MY BRAIN LIKE THIS)
Tell it to me straight, doc. If I've been trying to piece together a "shorter" game to learn stuff outside of game jams... am I just running away from my WIP? :v
Well, I've got a party tomorrow, and my friends are coming over. I wanted to work a bit on the Fandom Scouts assets so I can be ready when that update arrives... in other news, Pizza Time Horror is getting a second teaser, and it shows Cabaret Helen's last performance before the location closed.
Also who used to be scared of Chuck E as a kid? I was! Now I love him!
The new cards and what they do:

(I am clearly not a youtuber... Haha)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomDef