Storytellers MV Facesets [Updated 01/01/17 - SF_People1_7]

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by TheStoryteller01, Oct 25, 2015.

1. TheStoryteller01

TheStoryteller01 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    LATEST UPDATE: 1st January 2017

I am still quite busy with RL and projects outside of RPG Maker so I will update this thread with new facesets in irregular intervals only.

These facesets are no edits of the stock portraits and also not made with the MV generator but recreations which I made in 12-20-layer paint shop files using the generator parts  (mixing male and female and tinkering a lot of elements together myself). The coloring (including hue, saturation and brightness) is also done completely in paint shop to give me more control over the colors and allow me to customize every single element.

TERMS OF USE:

Everything is made from RPG Maker MV stock media and is free for non-commercial use with RPG Maker projects. Please credit Kadokawa/Enterbrain and TheStoryeller01 if you use it. 

If you want to use anything for a commercial project get in touch with me, I'm willing to further customize the sets.

No redistribution of the originals or of any edits allowed -  if you want to share these ressources, please link to this thread.

I try to stay close to the appearance of the stock portraits but I also take the sprites into account - and I'm afraid I won't be able to recreate everything in the generator style. I will also try to capture the "character" of the actors, which means if an actor shows a friendly face, I will use more smiles and if an actor has a stone face, the emotions will be more subtle. That way I hope to make the facesets more unique and inspiring for developers.

However, the basic emotions for all facesets are the same, with the exception of the last one, which will be custom depending on the character: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad, custom* (from left to right, top row first) . *I've been told, that the last (8th) standard emotion, "ashamed" doesn't really work because it's too close to sad and often not convincing. So I decided to make the last (8th) emotion a custom one depending on the inspiration from the character.

I'll always put the newest one here on top and keep the rest in the spoilers.

Added another faceset for SF_People1_7. The sprite 7 from the sheet SF_People1 has no stock portrait, so I created one in a 16-layer paint shop file using the MV generator parts. To support the appearance of an old man, I set the head lower onto the neck and also tilted it slightly for most expressions. The hair and clothing are tinkered together from various generator parts.

The following emotes are displayed neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad, and for the extra one: doubtful (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

Actor1_1 to Actor1_8 facesets (COMPLETE):

This is Actor1_1. The colors are not exactly the same as in the stock portrait but they still fit the sprites.

[​IMG]

This is Actor1_2. It differs a lot from the stock portrait but I think the new hair color and the custom clothing fit the sprites much better. I also decided to let her keep black pupils.

[​IMG]

This is Actor1_3. The hair color is not the same as in the stock portrait and it fits the sprites only ok. While the stock portrait was too red imo, mine lacks the yellow highlights. I decided to keep the standard skin color and gave him darker eyes because it think that matches the sprite better.

[​IMG]

This is Actor1_4. It took some time to get the hair color right but the end result matches the sprites quite well imo. I kept the standard skin color and gave her eyes more brown and less yellow and I also tinkered my own version of the bandana and (slightly) recolored it as well as the clothing to match the sprites better.

[​IMG]

This is Actor1_5.  I chose a different hair color as in the stock portrait to match the sprites better and tweaked the clothing a bit to make the scarf fit right.

[​IMG]

This is  Actor1_6. The hair color is different from the stock portrait to match the sprites better and I used an edited version of the male scarf, because I found the female one didn’t look like it matched the sprites well.

[​IMG]

This is Actor1_7. Compared to the stock portrait the hair is a bit darker and more saturated but that matches the sprites better imo. Because I couldn't find a single spot of brown on the sprites, I also recolored the brown clothing parts to blue and darkeded the cloak a bit to match the sprites better.

[​IMG]

This is Actor1_8. I couldn't replicate the perspective of the stock portrait so this one looks quite different but it still matches the sprites.

[​IMG]

Actor2_1 to Actor2_8 facesets (COMPLETE):

This is Actor2_1. Since the hair color of the stock movement and battler sprites differ to some extent, I had to find a tone that fits both. To keep the appearance of the stock portrait, eyes, nose and mouth have been moved up slightly but I made the eyes a bit darker to match the sprites better.

[​IMG]

This is Actor2_2. The game and battle sprites have slightly different tones for the hair color so I went for something in between but closer to the game sprite. And since the stock portrait shows one of the few mouths with a fuller upper lip, I edited all the other mouths used to match it. I also head to give her some black "undergarment" because the clothing left some skin patches visible.

[​IMG]

This is Actor2_3. I coloured the hair differently from the stock portrait and made the eyes darker to match the sprites better (and to get a little more contrast into this faceset). I also had to use a head with a little more chin, because the only head with a small chin did match the stock portrait even less. 

[​IMG]

This is Actor2_4.  Since the game and battle sprites have slightly different tones for hair and eyes I had to color those to something in between and I also edited and recolored the whole clothing set to match the sprites better. Furthermore I've done edited versions of all the female (and some male) mouths to make the lips look a tiny bit fuller and used them for this faceset.

[​IMG]

This is Actor2_5. Because imo the “fluffy” part of the hat shown in the stock portrait wasn’t very convincing, I tinkered a new one which fits the sprites not perfectly – but better. I also edited the face and hair (which itself is stiched together from 3 different parts) to show the shadow of the hat’s brim (Thanks again to Sharm for the feedback!).

[​IMG]

This is Actor2_6. Everything is lighter than in the stock portrait to match the sprites better. In addition I heavily edited the hat and ear parts from the MV generator and created shadow layers for the hat brim. I also created a complete mouth set based on the  single red-lipped one from the generator.

[​IMG]

This is Actor2_7. The hair is darker than in the stock portrait to match the sprites better.

[​IMG]

This is Actor2_8. This one was easy, compared to the stock portrait I only made the eyes a bit darker to match the sprites better.

[​IMG]

Actor3_1 to Actor3_8 facesets:

This is Actor3_5. This one was hard, to make the hair work I had to cut off parts of the hair pieces and even a bit of the head. I used different eyebrows than the portrait suggested and still didn't like the look. To do Actor3_5 at least some good, I tinkered the 2 tails for his bandana which are not in the generator parts but show on the sprites. I only went with the stock portrait look because it was on my request list - but I will definitely do a different version of this one only based on the sprites then.

[​IMG]

This is Actor3_6. The clothing from the stock portrait didn't reflect the armor seen on the sprite (especially the red-bordered breastplate) so I edited the clothing to show the armor and I also tweaked the headgear to show the tails on each side.

[​IMG]

This is Actor3_8. I heavily edited the hat parts from the MV generator and created shadow layers for the hat brim. I also choose face elements to make her look more grown-up than in the stock portrait.

[​IMG]

Evil_2 faceset:

This is Evil_2. I took a lot of inspiration from the stock portrait but I used different clothes and eyebrows to match the sprites better.

[​IMG]

SF_Actor1_1 to SF_Actor1_8 facesets (COMPLETE):

This is SF_Actor1_1. Since the stock generator parts create only suits that look more like kimonos (good) or pyjamas (not so good), I "tailored" my own from generator and portrait parts (but I admit I left out the blue collar stripe from the stock portrait, cause it was too much of a hassle to include). Tim Gunn was right - menswear IS hard to do.

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor1_2. Compared to the stock portrait the hair is more yellowish and the eyes are darker to match the sprites better. And again I "tailored" my own jacket, shirt and tie from generator and portrait parts (but again I left out the blue collar stripe from the stock portrait, cause it was too much of a hassle to include).

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor1_3. This is still my "self tailored" suit & shirt from generator and portrait parts (I still left out the blue collar stripe from the stock portrait, cause it was too much of a hassle to include). I also borrowed the bandana back part from the stock portrait and colored the hair with reduced hue to match the sprites better.

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor1_4. This is still my "self tailored" suit,shirt&tie from generator and portrait parts (I still left out the blue collar stripe from the stock portrait, cause it was too much of a hassle to include). Otherwise it's pretty much the same as the stock portrait.

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor1_5. I colored the hair differently than in the stock portrait and also made the ear visible, both to match the sprites better. And this is still my "self tailored" suit,shirt&tie from generator and portrait parts (without the blue collar stripe from the stock portrait, cause it was too much of a hassle to edit).

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor1_6. She wears my "self tailored" suit, shirt & (remade) tie from generator and portrait parts (without the blue collar stripe from the stock portrait, cause it was too much of a hassle to edit). The knot+pony is tinkered from generator parts and the hair color is notable different to the stock portrait to match the sprites better.

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor1_7. He wears my “self tailored” suit&shirt made from generator and portrait parts (without the blue collar stripe from the stock portrait, cause it was too much of a hassle to edit) but otherwise there are no differences to the stock portrait.

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor1_8. She wears a new version of my “self tailored” suit with a more blouselike collar made from generator and portrait parts (without the blue collar stripe from the stock portrait, cause it was too much of a hassle to edit). The hair has less hue than the stock portrait to match the sprites better and I left out the blue necklace because it’s not shown on the sprites at all.

[​IMG]

SF_Actor2_1 to SF_Actor2_8 facesets (COMPLETE):

This is SF_Actor2_1. The hair is tinkered together from various generator parts and while looking different from the stock portrait, it matches the sprites quite well.

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor2_2. The hair is partially edited and the color is slightly different from the stock portrait to match the sprites better.

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor2_3. I gave him a different pair of glasses than in the stock portrait, because the original one didn't match the sprites and made a second version with the same weird hair coloring shown on the sprites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor2_4. I gave her a different pair of glasses than in the stock portrait that matches the sprites better.

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor2_5. I didn't find the clothing from the stock portrait doing the supposedly heavy leather coat from the sprites justice, so I tailored my own (again) from generator parts and added some rank to the chin-high shirt collar. The hair is edited from several parts and I also added a small shadow under the shades

[​IMG]

Added another faceset for SF_Actor2_6. The mouth style differs from the one in the stock portrait but I wanted to make at least one female faceset with fuller lips. I also kept the ear visible because it can be seen in the sprites as well. The hair includes a lot of small edits.

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor2_7. The hair tone is different from the stock portrait to match the sprites better and I did not replicate the dirt brushes in the face, because the're not seen on the sprites either.

[​IMG]

This is SF_Actor2_8. I found the clothing from the stock portrait didn't match the sprites, so I tailored her a new set from generator parts. The hair tone is also different from the stock portrait to match the sprites better and I did not replicate the dirt brushes in the face, because the're not seen on the sprites either.

[​IMG]

SF_Actor3_1 to SF_Actor3_3 facesets

This is SF_Actor3_2. The stock portrait is showing a masculine women (or an androgynous character), so I used a lot of male generator parts to retain the appearance of the stock portrait. The hair tone is in between the darker game sprite and lighter battle sprite.

[​IMG]

While the stock portrait is very similar to the above faceset, the sprite’s appearance is that of a regular female character, so I made an alternative version that fits the sprite actually better. I used only female generator parts for this one but made sure to keep the ‘badass’ character from the stock portrait.

[​IMG]

This is  SF_Actor3_3 . The clothes have been taken from the stock portait and edited. The hair tone is slightly different from the stock portrait to match the sprites better.

[​IMG]

SF_People2_5 faceset

This is SF_People2_5.The round glasses are tinkered together from stock parts. The faceset differs a bit from the stock portrait but matches the sprites very well.

[​IMG]

SF_People3_8 facesets

This is SF_People3_8. The character is a nurse from a sprite sheet with no existing stock faceset so everything is based on the sprite. In addition to the color pattern from the sprite. I also added 2 versions with traditional white and blue clothing (without bowtie) and different hair/eye colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SF_Monster_8 Faceset

This is SF_Monster_8. I used my self-tailored suit and removed the stem from the glasses to match the stock sprite better. 

[​IMG]

I try to get a new faceset done at least every month, in case you want to check out my old XP/VX facesets that I haven't posted here so far, visit my blog: https://thestoryteller01.wordpress.com/2015/01/

I've been asked about publishing my custom parts and I tried to make them into parts usable for the generator - but it didn't work out. Most parts don't work stand-alone as they often also need an edited neck or head (like the suit parts) or only work if they are split upon different layers (nearly all custom hairstyles). In addition for most facesets I have manually placed mouth, eyes and eybrows (including putting them closer or wider apart). The test results where extremly unsatisfying so I ditched it. I'm sorry that I can't deliver additions for the generator but there are already so many talented people on this forums who have made (and still make) great additions for the generator, that I think I better stick to make more facesets. 

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2017
    Ogedei, Sondju, AggroMiau and 25 others like this.
  2. Grimoire LD

Grimoire LD Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Those look pretty great! a fantastic addition to the existing expressive facesets. I especially love the "near tears" look which is one of the expressions not present in the original set we got.

TheStoryteller01 likes this.
  3. EliteFerrex

EliteFerrex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    These are awesome! Thanks so much!

I can only hope you plan to make more in the future. If not I guess I'll have to try doing so with GIMP or something.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

4. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Thanks for the friendly comments & glad you like the first bunch so far! :)   

5. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset for Actor1_3. The hair color is not the same as in the stock portrait and it fits the sprites only ok. While the stock portrait was too red imo, mine lacks the yellow highlights. I decided to keep the standard skin color and gave him darker eyes because it think that matches the sprite better.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad, frustrated (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

Terms of use are in the first post.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2015
  6. BloodletterQ

BloodletterQ Chaotic Neutral Assassin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hope you don't mind that I'm following your emotion model, but aren't these made with the generator? If so, you can't post them I'm afraid.

7. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    As I posted, I make all of them in paint shop pro with layers for the generator parts.

I can assure that nobody will be able to recreate these in the generator, partly because many elements (especially eyebrows, eyes and pupils) are put into the right place manually, but mostly because a lot of parts are custom made.

- the eyes for Actor1_1 5 & 7; for Actor1_2 5,6&7; for Actor1_3 5&7; for Actor1_4 3,5,6&8

- the mouths for Actor1_1 6 & 7; for Actor1_2 6 &7; for Actor1_3 6&7; for Actor1_4 2,3,5&6

- the complete clothing for Actor1_2;the bandana from Actor1_4

In addition almost every color that is not skin has been edited individually, especially the hair, eyebrows and eyes of all characters.

You can give it a try in the generator if you like, I'm sure the results will be good enough and not that far from mine - but they won't be the same :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  8. Liak

Liak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Those look awesome. :) Any way to make them usable for commercial games?

9. EliteFerrex

First Language:
    English
    Thank you so much, again! I'm totally loving these!

If you happen to be taking requests... I could really use these for Actor 1_7, 2_1, 2_4, 2_8, 3_5, and 3_6. I know that's a LOT to ask, but if you're not going in any particular order... I'd be especially appreciative.

Keep up the amazing work!

10. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Glad you like my facesets so far :)

Added another faceset for Actor1_4. It took some time to get the hair color right but the end result matches the sprites quite well imo. I kept the standard skin color and gave her eyes more brown and less yellow and I also tinkered my own version of the bandana and (slightly) recolored it as well as the clothing to match the sprites better.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad, uncertain (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

@Liak: I will have no objection of them be used for commercial games, I simply want to give permission on an individual basis to keep track where my stuff is used. Of course I would also be willing to do further edits and additional emotions as well as custom facesets - but I would like to know something about the project and see something substantial first before I make such a commitment.

@Elite Ferrex: I worked chronolocically for no special reason and I can do your requests first, no problem. I plan to finish one actor each day so it won't make a lot of difference in the long run anyway. I also checked the portraits from your list and none of them will be hard to do.

11. EliteFerrex

First Language:
    English
    Seriously, you're the best. Can't wait to see them~!

12. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset, per request for Actor1_7. Compared to the stock portrait the hair is a bit darker and more saturated but that matches the sprites better imo. Because I couldn't find a single spot of brown on the sprites, I also recolored the brown clothing parts to blue and darkeded the cloak a bit to match the sprites better.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad, frustrated (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

13. Marvelous TK

Marvelous TK Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh, well, if you're giving priority to facesets people want to see, maybe you could add Actor 2-2 and Actor 3-2 to that list when you get around to them? Either way, awesome stuff here and I will be watching closely!

14. SquallStorm

SquallStorm Resident Persona 5 Hyper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah I'd really appreciate actor 3-2  xD  These look nice.

15. Sol Rising

Sol Rising Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    these look awesome. Any chance you going to work on the promo character box face sets ?  :D

16. Shin

Shin Veteran Veteran

You are doing a fine job. Please continue.

17. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Glad you like the new facesets :)

I will work on 2_2 after I finish the first bunch of requests, but 3_2 is on my list of "(maybe) later", because I need a crown for this one. I have checked the ones from the VX generator and the option to cut it out from the portrait but these portraits I'll put at the end of the line. There are a lot of people on this forum who are more talented than me when it comes to editing stock portraits and for the unique ones I'm sure they will create better ones than I ever could with the generator parts.

I hav the package art characters on my to-do list also, because while the portraits are marvelous (not to mention the busts), I guess a lot of people will want the facesets to match the RTP. Of course I can only recreate those that aren't too unique (p.e. the robots).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2015
  18. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset, per request for Actor2_1. Since the hair color of the stock movement and battler sprite differ to some extent, I had to find a tone that fits both. To keep the appearance of the stock portrait eyes, nose and mouth have been moved up slightly but I made the eyes a bit darker to match the sprites better.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad and for the extra one: warily (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

Actor2_4....I'm having a hard time to decide which outfit matches the sprites and the character best. I have 3 variations and would be greatful for some feedback - the stock portrait, game sprites and battle sprites are also shown to make a comparison easier. You might notice that I edited the clothing parts a bit to begin with  ;)

Imo the outer left one fits the battler best, the middle one fits both the battler and game sprite OK I think, and the outer right one is my favourite capturing the character and class best imo - although it fits only the game sprite well.

[​IMG]

19. EliteFerrex

First Language:
    English
    I think I like the upper left one the best, personally. But that's just my opinion. Ultimately, I'll leave it up to you, but I think the darker color in that one helps it keep from looking too much like it doesn't contain enough variation in color. Thanks again for all you've done; I'm already using these!

20. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Since it's your request, I've chosen your favourite option. :)

This is Actor2_4. Since the game and battle sprites have slightly different tones for hair and eyes I had to color those to something in between and I also edited and recolored the whole clothing set to match the sprites better. Furthermore I've done edited versions of all the female (and some male) mouths to make the lips look a tiny bit fuller and used them for this faceset.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad - and for the extra one: confused (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]