Storytellers MV Facesets [Updated 01/01/17 - SF_People1_7]

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by TheStoryteller01, Oct 25, 2015.

1. TheStoryteller01

TheStoryteller01 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset, per request for Actor2_8. This one was easy, compared to the stock portrait I only made the eyes a bit darker to match the sprites better.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad - and for the extra one: suspicious (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

Terms of use are in the first post.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2015
  2. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

Love 'em all! Thanks for posting your work.

TheStoryteller01 likes this.
  3. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

These are so good, thank you!

4. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset, per request for Actor3_6. The clothing from the stock portrait didn't reflect the armor seen on the sprite (especially the red-bordered breastplate) so I edited the clothing to show the armor and I also tweaked the headgear to show the tails on each side.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad - and for the extra one: satisfied (from left to right, top row first)[​IMG]

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  5. Noferatsi

Noferatsi Level 10 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    These are all very nice! Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup-left:   BD   :thumbsup-right:

6. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset, per request for Actor3_5. This one was hard, to make the hair work I had to cut off parts of the hair pieces and even a bit of the head. I used different eyebrows than the portrait suggested and still didn't like the look. To do Actor3_5 at least some good, I tinkered the 2 tails for his bandana which are not in the generator parts but show on the sprites.

I only went with the stock portrait look because it was on my request list - but I will definitely do a different version of this one only based on the sprites then.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad - and for the extra one: suspicious (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

GrandmaDeb likes this.
  7. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset, per request for Actor2_2. The game and battle sprites have slightly different tones for the hair color so I went for something in between but closer to the game sprite. And since the stock portrait shows one of the few mouths with a fuller upper lip, I edited all the other mouths used to match it. I also head to give her some black "undergarment" because the clothing left some skin patches visible.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad - and for the extra one: confused (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

Sol Rising likes this.
  8. EliteFerrex

EliteFerrex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Finally have the chance to go through and see/DL all these. Thanks so much. You're doing some awesome work, my friend!

9. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset for Actor1_5.  I chose a different hair color as in the stock portrait to match the sprites better and tweaked the clothing a bit to make the scarf fit right.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad - and for the extra one: annoyed (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

10. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset for Actor1_6. The hair color is different from the stock portrait to match the sprites better and I used an edited version of the male scarf, because I found the female one didn’t look like it matched the sprites well.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad - and for the extra one: indifferent (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

11. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset for Actor1_8. I couldn't replicate the perspective of the stock portrait so this one looks quite different but it still matches the sprites.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad and for the extra one: annoyed (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

12. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset for Actor2_3. I coloured the hair differently from the stock portrait and made the eyes darker to match the sprites better (and to get a little more contrast into this faceset). I also had to use a head with a little more chin, because the only head with a small chin did match the stock portrait even less.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad and for the extra one: doubtingly (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

13. Ryuk

Ryuk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Great Work !

I have a question about your work, it's possible to do :

FaceSet for Actor 3_7 

FaceSet for Package 2_3 

FaceSet for SF Actor 2_6

?

14. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Gald you like my stuff so far : )

To your requested facesets:

Actor3_7 is only on my "maybe later" list, because extracting the hood so I can paintshop any gender, race and appearance into it is quite difficult.

Package2_3 (Cover Art Chars) has to be made from scratch which is way beyond my abilities, sorry : (

SF_Actor2_6 is no problem, I plan to make facesets for all SF actors after I finished the stock actors.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
    ct_bolt likes this.
  15. Ryuk

Ryuk Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok thanks you ! And your FaceSet are really nice! 

16. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    No new set today because with Actor2_5 I got a little carried away. And I need some feedback, because this will be important for every character wearing a hat that I do.

When I finished the base faceset I immideately found it really lacked the shadow from the hats brim seen in the stock portrait. So I did a simple shadow with a little less light and a little more saturation. I don't think I can make it much darker/saturated before it looks weird but I'm not sure it looks good enough either. And after messing with the shadow for two hours I'm not longer sure if it makes such a difference and is worth the effort.

And then there's....the bell. I found the hat "appendix" in the upper left corner of the stock portrait rather disctracting but the sprite hats have that CUTE little bell so I kind of had to tinker one together - completely with another shadow. But there's not much space left and it's so small so I'm not sure if I didn't end up with "distracting" myself.

Any feedback, advice or opinion is highly appreciated, thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
  17. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I like the one with the brim shadow but the bell is too much. You've shortened the length of the floppy part just to get it in frame, so the hat itself starts looking awkward. I think the brim shadow is necessary, it's what makes it not look generated.

I think you can touch up the shadow a bit. Copy the shadow, fill it with a solid color (doesn't matter which). Make a new layer, use the other as a mask. Eyedrop the lightest red color from the hat. Use a radial gradient with the color to transparent and use it to darken the deepest parts of the shadow. Play with transparency and blending modes until it looks right.

18. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Thanks a lot for the advice!

You're right about the bell, I'll try a version without it but the floppy part more prominent and look how that turns out. And I'll make a new version with more colorful shadows.

Edit: I've also been told that it's not even a bell but simply a tassel which can be colored in the generator. Turns out he was right and it was only me seeing a bell anyway. ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2015
  19. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset for Actor2_5. Because imo the “fluffy” part of the hat shown in the stock portrait wasn’t very convincing, I tinkered a new one which fits the sprites not perfectly – but better. I also edited the face and hair (which itself is stiched together from 3 different parts) to show the shadow of the hat’s brim. Thanks again to Sharm for the feedback!

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad and for the extra one: unimpressed (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

Sharm likes this.
  20. TheStoryteller01

First Language:
    German
    Added another faceset for Actor2_6. Everything is lighter than in the stock portrait to match the sprites better. In addition I heavily edited the hat and ear parts from the MV generator and created shadow layers for the hat brim. I also created a complete mouth set based on the  single red-lipped one from the generator.

The emotions are: neutral, friendly, roguish, happy, surprised, angry, sad and for the extra one: satisfied (from left to right, top row first)

[​IMG]

This one was a lot of work, here's a comparison between stock portrait, my paint shoped and the generator (left to right):

[​IMG]

Sharm likes this.