Strange Issue with YEP Battle Engine Core; Plugin Ignored?

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Nomoredeadcops, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Nomoredeadcops

Nomoredeadcops Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Im having an issue with the newest version of Yanfly's Battle Engine where, for some reason, my project is ignoring it. It doesn't give any errors by itself but any function call that references it in other scripts will cause errors. If I have only this script and the yanfly core engine (which I have also updated) enabled the game runs fine but none of the changes this plugin makes take effect, its just the default battle system. I have also tried this in a new project and got the same problem. It seems like RPGMAKER thinks the plugin is set to OFF when I know for a fact it is set ON. It's also worth noting that I am using the Steam version of RMMV at version 1.6.1.

2. Nomoredeadcops

First Language:
    English
    For some reason changing the name of the plugin's js file seem to make RMMV start to register it, but now I'm having this issue.

Anybody know whats going on here?

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1) all plugins should always have exactly the name given by the programmer, because in 90% of all cases the filename becomes part of the command structure and renaming the plugin will break it.
    2) especially for yanfly's plugins they have to be in the order as listed on yanfly's website.
    The order of the plugins is important because it will also become the order in which the definitions are set, and changing the order can cause incompatibilities (or solve them if they were in the wrong order)
    3) some plugins require specific core versions of the engine, using either newer functions or functions that had been removed in newer versions.

videos of errors are often useless for bughunting.
    please tell us your projects core version (open rpg_core.js with a text editor, it's the number in the title line) and give a screenshot of your plugin manager (with all plugins and their order listed)

4. Nomoredeadcops

First Language:
    English
    My rpg core version is 1.6.1 and I'm using only the yanfly core and battle core plugins, but like I said when I use the battle engine core's default name the game completely ignores it but just adding a 1 to the end of it at least made it register some of it. I don't understand why that change would even effect it (referring to whether or not the plugin is detected not any potential bugs that could result from name changes.) Both plugins are at their latest versions. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  5. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nomoredeadcops, do you try redownload Yanfly plugins? Another last resource solution is start new project because sometimes bugs in RPG maker mv. Because you know that Yanfly is contanly update her plugins.

6. Nomoredeadcops

First Language:
    English
    Yes. As I've said I'm using the newest versions and a new project. The problem didn't happen until I updated to rmmv 1.6.1 and had to update any plugins I was using. For now I'll probably just revert to the older versions.

7. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Nomoredeadcops, please make sure you put the enemies files in side view enemies folder according to your posted video.

8. Nomoredeadcops

First Language:
    English
    The video is what happens when I changed the name so it isnt really the bug I'm trying to fix. Like I said for some reason the yanfly battle engine core plugin is just being ignored and I cant figure out why. It's in the correct plugins folder and is set to on but none of its changes actually happen. I dont get any errors or anything it just doesn't work.

9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    open your project folder and check if there is a subfolder WWW inside it.
    if yes, you made the mistake of deploying into your project folder and you'll need to repair that mistake before any change (no matter which, from plugins to map changes) can be playtested again.
    basically you need to delete the www folder and replaces the packages file with a correct one from a new project, because that wrong packages file is now redirecting the playtest to the deployed version instead of the correct one.

10. Nomoredeadcops

First Language:
    English
    Nope no WWW folder. This is happening on a fresh project as well as my main one. When reverting back to an older version of the plugin it works fine, its just something about this new version I guess.

11. Aloe Guvner

Aloe Guvner Walrus Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yanfly has a bad link on their website, where the battle engine core is wrong. It's either that the "mirror" has the right version and the dropbox has the "wrong" version, or vice-versa (I don't remember).

Press F8 to open the console to check for errors during a playtest.

One of them will show an error in the console and the other doesn't have any errors (use the one without errors)

Nomoredeadcops likes this.
  12. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If I may ask, when is this version dated that is at fault? Not directly related but I have a question about how the battle engine is handling the side view option and the reason why is that the party actors do not move correctly on my version. So maybe when I get back to my own work I can verify accordingly for you and maybe see if it helps me as well. Eagle and vulture off the same stone, if you will.

EDIT: As predicted, I got both. In addition to the upgrade fixing my own issue (dammit, breaker!) I also determined which is what. In this case it's the Dropbox that's a trainwreck so download straight off the site and you should be fine. An easy test is out on the battlefield - if for whatever reason you have that you can't escape means that you have the wrong file in your project.

Also cross check the plugin list to make sure everything's in order (both figuratively and literally - that is to say, Yanfly Core goes above everything, Battle Core goes above animated sideview above enemy levels and all 3rd-party plugins should go below the Yanfly list).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  13. Nomoredeadcops

First Language:
    English
    Thank you so much @Aloe Guvner! That was the issue. Everything is working just fine now! This has been driving me crazy all week. Thanks to everyone else too who took the time to reply!