Strange state appear.

Thorgaaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Have an little Problem with my Project. And that is, that State no.20 yust always appears at the start of each battle. I checked the Actor and Class window, fought naked and checked all my common Events too. The troop and the enemy doesnt inflict it ether, so where might this come from? The state itself works ok, also removes itself normally after its Timeout of 2 rounds.

I also can just delete it, so it does nothing, no error appear if i do that. But i dislike my project doing things i dont understand, sooo any idea?

It might of course come from an script too, but strangely enough that never happened bevore and i didnt add a new script for a while.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
do you use any state notetags (if used) or scripts that use stattes in it? can you provide screenshots?

Thorgaaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Only stacking states. And the one who appears isnt one of them. Im not against doing an Screenshot, but i dont know how to do that.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Unless you're making your game based on my project (which is open source) that I hardcode my game to auto-apply state no 20 under a certain condition, I don't know. You can try to disable any script from your project by putting them under main. See which script causing it.

Thorgaaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hmmm, i removed ALL my scripts and put it under Main, and they were disabled. No visual battlers or anything. BUT the State still appear.
Build the Project from a scratch. I did use some open source Materials later on, but only normal stuff from the ressource manager. (scripts from the materials aside). Means graphics and Audio only.

Actually im suprised by myself that this is the case. Could it have something to do with steam? Theese guys already destroyed the project once bevore with their great cloudsaving. (which i turned off after that)

Ok, lerned to make screenshots now. The Berrys are the states Symbol. The Circle is always there.
stateerror.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if this is a clean project and still appears, than i have no clue (specially if you did nothing in the state tab.
can you make a screenshot of that of this particlair state?

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Actually im suprised by myself that this is the case. Could it have something to do with steam?
No, not related.

---------
And while I kinda don't believe how it can happen after if you disabled all of the scripts. Assuming it is really a state, try this
First, you put this script: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/theoallen/RGSS3/master/Untranslated/Script Backtracer.rb
Then add another one:
Code:
class Game_Battler
  alias add_state_original add_state
  def add_state(id)
    backtrace if id == 20
    add_state_original
  end
end
When the game adds state 20, it will backtrace the source.

Thorgaaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Here is the State. As you can see i can change anything even so it does nothing like here and it still appears. I tested it with the state you can see here. Note is only a german reminder that it is appearing in any combat.state.JPG

To the script, big thanks. but i guess before using scripts as workarond i should yust delete the state so it does noting. As mentioned i can do so, i only want to figure out what happens.

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Go into your script editor, press Ctrl+Shift+F and type in
Code:
add_state
Then search.

The state appearing would have read something like "add_state(20)" if it is in a script.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
screenshot
This shows me you have yanfly battle engine and yanfly visual battlers added.
What other scripts do you have?
To start a fresh project click file -> new project.

Thorgaaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Ok, here for better understanding here screenshot without any script running. Berrys (state) is still there.statenoscript.JPG

Completely new project has no state error thats true.

searched for add_state, by the way intersting command, even if i dont figure this issue out im learning a lot here, thanks.
But no Add_state(20) there. Command itself only appears in Yanflys Battleengine and in the stacking states Engine. Both used and tested for over an year, but this issue is new. (plus it appears if scripts are shutdown)

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Could it be from a Common Event called in a script then? Our game calls a couple Common Events via scripts for the sake of some math and other things. Also, does it only appear from a savestate, or even if you do an empty test map with only an NPC to fight? Because if it only appears in a savestate, that may imply that some variable is set to 20 and then forces the state on a char. But if it happens anyway, that would require the "20" to be hard-coded somewhere.

Thorgaaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
It gets even stranger I just opened an old version of my Game (i do make save copys) Exactely same amount of scripts and scriptlines, but no appearing state. Only difference is included dlcs graphics/sounds and a few more bosses and events/abilities/states which wont have triggered at the point the screenshot has been made. (is first enemy 20 feet from start)

variable 20 is interesting. In a new project as told the state appearing doesnt happen. But i do start a new game have the opening talk with the Barkeeper and than go straight to Battle no variables should´ve been triggered there plus its all the same in the old version, but without the state appearing. Well, im checking the new content now, but again nothing of that should´ve triggered at the Game starts. My common events also need triggers so far every one of them.

hmm, pretty pathetic that there is actualls so few new content. 2 more enemy events who start talking to them, than the battles again not affecting this one 2 more inbattle events with no trigger outside of it, and thats pretty much it aside of included graphics and sounds.
So, what the actual f.... is happening here? It doesnt make any logical sense anymore? Could i get an Rpgmaker specific virus by downloading free dlc´s?

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Thorgaaz , please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

I've merged them for you this time, but please just edit your previous post if you have something to add.

TheoAllen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
i only want to figure out what happens.
So, what the actual f.... is happening here? It doesnt make any logical sense anymore? Could i get an Rpgmaker specific virus by downloading free dlc´s?
So did u try my suggestion? Just to be clear, it isn't a workaround.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Only difference is included dlcs graphics
just a question: did you change the iconsheet with your graphics?
what position is the berry icon on the iconsheet (number used is enough, no need for screenshot)

Thorgaaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Yes instead of the old iconsheet i used the one of the dlc. Adding 5 more lines to the original. The Icon you see is number 303.
Based on your post i switched back to the original sheet too, but nothing changes state is still appearing.

To TheoAllen, tryed it now. Error message on Gamestart wrong Argument in Line 9022 in the insert material section. Which is hilarious since it only has around 3700 lines.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Thorgaaz please give us a screenshot of the error message. The engine cannot give an error in a line number that does not exist, but there are several ways how you could have been confused with a mismatch, and only the full error can identify that mismatch.

In fact, I suggest you follow the link "how to use a script" in my signature to the bughunting section and install the backtracer mentioned there.
Then give us the full console output of the backtracer when that error happens again - that will give us much more info about where and how that error happened.

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's weird behavior, indeed. While it could be a legitimate glitch, my instinct is that an Event or Common Event accidentally added a state to a battler.

Here are a few things you can try to either solve it or narrow the issue down:
  1. Add an event with your game that does a Recover All for the entire party. When test-playing, talk to that event and then get into the battle. Does the state still show up in battle?
  2. If it still shows up in #1, go to your Troops tab and add a Recover All for the entire party on "Turn 0 + 1X" of battle (Scope "Turn"). Get into battle with the Troop that you added the event for. Add a sound effect to the event so you can make sure that it actually runs. Play for at least 3 turns. Does the state still show up in battle? If so, does it ever disappear, even for a moment?
  3. If it still shows up in #2, go to your States tab and look at ALL the states in your game, not just the first one that you know has the berry icon. For ALL states with a berry icon, add a "HRG" (Health Regen) feature to the Features Box for that state with a negative value. Then, get into battle. Is your character's HP unexpectedly decreasing each turn? If so, that means it's indeed a problem with a State being applied. If not, it means that the icon is being added for a reason that has nothing to do with States.

Another Fen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I've only seen one incident where the line in the error message did not match the line in which the error occurred. No idea why it happened back then, no idea why it would happen here, but I can attest these things are not impossible to happen.

The argument error would make sense here, and it should hopefully disappear when you replace
add_state_original
by
add_state_original(id)
in line 5 in TheoAllens second script.

But in any way, the script should have also created a textfile "Backtrace.txt" in your project folder, including the information we might seek here, if it was successful.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Babbaditch Finster and the Seven-Sided Cube has got to be one of my favorite classic games that didn't exist when I was kid, or ever
My tutorial about frankenspriting is now online :3 Any topic you would like to see next?
Stuffing three people in a room and thinking they'll study together is so wrong XD I don't get how people do group studies. We just end up gossiping about everything except studying lol
Been parallax mapping nigh all night. :D
2nd character based on the same random inputs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dokdo2005