Strategies for multiple-POS distributions and/or partnership arrangements

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by BreakerZero, Oct 2, 2018.

1. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, hear me out. After reading complaints regarding GameJolt/itch and the requisite matters thereof I'm looking at things a bit different here. I just started putting a journal in place and am using the former option for testing it, and have put in place a pair of API definitions in the plugin manager to switch between when dealing with distribution outside of the journal test platform.

With that in mind, and assuming I can reasonably gather the $100 marketing budget to cross-post on Steam, does anyone have similar strategies for matters involving feature overlap between POS distribution systems (like in the case of the journal function)?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My suggestion: Get a publisher. They will usually handle that for you, and keep track of all of that. Most will do the work fora % of the cut of the sales.

3. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I believe I'm primarily looking at strategies not just in marketing but also value. Obviously if you hook your game's journal to GameJolt and do the same with Steam (assuming you break even on your $100 investment) you either have a split project with two definitions in the file system with all the same content as each other, or you have a switch system defined in your project that you modify as required during the process of deployment.

EDIT: Also, in terms of publisher outreach I obviously don't want to do that without reason as this is literally my first project (you can read here for why) and I certainly don't want to short sell myself either.

4. VisitorsFromDreams

VisitorsFromDreams Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    $100 aint much for a marketing budget. I charge $1000 just for a 60 second trailer and I am super cheap. :/

5. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well that's certainly a bunch. *cues facepalm*

With that in mind, I'm gonna take this a step further and check to see what strategies everyone has for "distribution partner" arrangements and/or recommendations.

6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, what I can tell you is most will take between 10% - 25% (I've heard of one taking 50%, but I don't think anyone uses them anymore for obvious reasons). Probably the best thing to do is contact a few and see what kind of offer they give you, and also ask others who used them what their experience is. I'm in the process of doing that now before getting any official contracts.