RubbyDukky

One of Rem's Many Husbands
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, what do you guys think about a system where you enter the battle, and you get transported to a map that's limited in size with enemies coming from different places on the map, and you can choose where you are on the map before the enemies actually start invading. From there, you can set up "traps" or maybe make use of ranged weapons to defend yourself from the enemies. Then, you press a button and the enemies, or "wave" of enemies would come at you and trigger the traps. Also, you could have an actual turn-based battle occur if one of the enemies get to you.

Note: this is only an idea if your MC is physically weak but smart and crafty.

Feliaria

Good with Ideas, Bad with Execution
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Something like a cross of Fire Emblem (in terms of the map and movement) and default jRPG combat? That would be totally amazing!

RubbyDukky

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got the idea cus the MC in my previous abandoned game was a hacker, and I figured he could use various devices around the map to take care of the bad guys.

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That sounds like it could be fun to play, but a huge pain to make. So if you're planning on making this for your game all I can say is good luck.

RubbyDukky

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, it would've been a pain, so I don't know if it was a good thing or bad thing that I discontinued it >.>

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Even harder if you aren't a coder. 

It actually sounds a bit like dungeon defenders.
It does though! I love that game! Now nostalgia is flooding in... wish me luck >.<

Last edited by a moderator:

RubbyDukky

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I feel like I could've gotten through it with a pathfinding/chase script, a kind of event sensor script, and a decent amount of eventing logic. But I gave up on the game a while back, so if anyone wants to take the idea and run with it, be my guest.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I thought this was a really cool idea (minus the turn-based battles if you're caught; direct damage would be a much cleaner way to resolve it if what you're describing is the game's "system" and not just a one-time minigame).  It gives you a lot of ways to make enemy encounters interesting, and enemies unique; it also makes it very easy as the designer to reward player skill.  I like it a lot.

But if you're going to give up on such an idea this easily, that's a damn shame.  It wouldn't even be extraordinarily hard to make - you could event the whole thing if you don't know code (though coding would certainly make it easier), and it would only be really time-consuming once you're adding in lots of different traps, enemies, and player actions - a very basic setup could be made in two or three days.

RubbyDukky

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength

About the turn-based battle - I thought it wouldn't make sense if you just took direct damage because I wanted the enemies to feel more human to the player, rather than a mechanical part of a wave (because of the style of the game; it depends on the enemies).

The reason I didn't continue the project was mostly because I got bored of the slow pace that I was making things in the story. I didn't even get to the actual fights before stopping. Plus, I'm more hyped for a different project at the moment, so sadly I won't continue it.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I really like the idea. It's doable - and yes, eventing can be a pain, but it's quite possible. I might take a stab at it and see what I can come up with...

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The reason I didn't continue the project was mostly because I got bored of the slow pace that I was making things in the story. I didn't even get to the actual fights before stopping. Plus, I'm more hyped for a different project at the moment, so sadly I won't continue it.

That's sad to hear!

About the turn-based battle - I thought it wouldn't make sense if you just took direct damage because I wanted the enemies to feel more human to the player, rather than a mechanical part of a wave (because of the style of the game; it depends on the enemies).

While I understand this concern, one of the most important things about any combat system (but especially one with lots of action elements) is its flow.  If you're interrupting the Action-Trap-Defense combat system to play out a strategic turn-based battle, the player is going to lose their entire sense of flow in avoiding/trapping/killing the enemies in the larger action system.

If you (or anyone else thinking of making this kind of system) do feel that there's a lot of value in adding turn-based combat into this kind of Action system, perhaps because you want to give them interesting skills or just because you want to change up the pace, then what I would recommend is to have the enemy disappear once it reaches ("tags") you.  After the "action" part of a combat is done, trigger a turn-based combat where the enemy party consists of every enemy that tagged you during the action stage.  This would be really easy if you destroyed most of the enemies during the action stage, but could get very crazy if most of the enemies made it through and got to you!

RubbyDukky

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is actually a really, really good idea. I was picturing the enemies just disappearing when they got to the player, and then the player would enter the battle, but if the enemies were to pile up in front of the player one by one, it would make a very nice, visually appealing mechanic with a real sense of dependence upon your own strategy and logic.

Awesome idea, I hope someone can use it in a game.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you for the compliment, @RubbyDukky!  I do think this would be a nifty way to give the enemies a larger sense of style without interrupting the player's flow, so long as the player isn't inclined to hate either type of combat system (the action-defense or the turn-based survival battle afterwards).  As an added bonus, it would pave the way for rounds where the player can really feel that sense of being overwhelmed without an immediate game over, and set up times where the player could make memorable comebacks in the turn-based battle afterwards!

I'm getting really tempted to make something like this, if I can find time between my other games :D

TriceratopsX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength You could make this type of battle system with events?  :unsure:  huh. Dang it now I kinda wanna take a shot at it  :)  though off the top of my head I can't think of how I'd pull it off (oh well, flyin blinds more fun  ;) )

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Wavelength You could make this type of battle system with events?  :unsure:  huh. Dang it now I kinda wanna take a shot at it  :)  though off the top of my head I can't think of how I'd pull it off (oh well, flyin blinds more fun  ;) )

Yes.  For projectiles, you set Move Routes.  For traps, you have a Parallel Process event checking the location of the trap and the location of each enemy.  Scripting instantiation is pretty hard, so instead you can place the object somewhere way off the playable map and move it to the appropriate location when the projectile/trap/whatever is used or when it's the enemy's time to come onto the screen (and use Self Switches or ordinary Switches to keep track of which ones are currently on the map already).  I've done lots of Action Games in the same vein with zero scripting in the past, using RPG Maker.  It's inefficient, but it's absolutely doable.

RubbyDukky

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, if anyone decides to start on a game with this, count me in. I'll help out :)

TheRiotInside

Extra Ordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If executed well, this idea really has a lot of potential. Whether it be the main battle system throughout your game, a sweet minigame, or a climactic final confrontation between an army and your outnumbered party. Definitely shelving this concept for later!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I FINALLY DID IT! 5 years making my very first game and I just officially released it on STEAM..... OMG..... I can say I finished a game! The feelings!!!!!
Stream will be live shortly! I am going to be playing some Among Us! Feel free to drop by!
Ami
tv program always get the ratings (it's the reason why drama series has 1000+ episode),also full and nonsense of censorship (weird blur, a scene getting cut because the unconvenient viewer,but it unconvenient to me either. you never see what the original is)

i know the reason is to take cover the viewer from the negative thing,but i just laughing and mocking of them that they're always suck :guffaw:
Star Chart Idea - Just something I am working on.
My sister learned spanish the old fashioned way and saw my way of conjugating. I don't use the formal method and just wing it. I thought her heart might explode. Apparently, different words use different endings. Weird part is even though I never learned the difference, I still can tell when the endings "look wrong".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kleik