Stuck on the Reward for the Plushie Scavenger Hunt

HaneHaeterun

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because they're so cute I've decided to hide a plushie (stuffed bear, fox, etc.) such that every building has one (regardless of the number of floors), and so too with every dungeon (regardless of how big).

I'm stuck in two places.

First, the biggie: if a player collects all of them, what is their reward?!

Second, which can be solved before the first: are there ways of doing this that I missed so that I don't reinvent the wheel?

May the Cuteness Be With You, Always!

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean, depends on the tone of your game and other content.

Goofy hidden plushie party member for getting all of them? Hidden Grizzly Teddy Bear Bonus Boss? Hidden weapon? Achievement?

As for counting them, either assign a variable for how many they've collected, increment it with each one, or make plushies a key item. If you want you can even use that as the currency for a hidden shop so if someone just find like four plushies they can redeem it for a plush armor and if they get 50 they can unlock the plush character

HaneHaeterun

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, I guess I should have asked more thoroughly.

Tale of The Four is JRPG in appearance, with intended mechanics much like Final Fantasy VI or Chrono Trigger. It will be medieval/fantasy in setting, and thematically it will be a serious quest of four young friends sent to see which of the other four nations blew the fifth to ashes in the blink of an eye. As there are two intra-party romances (two couples, no "odd woman out") where each person is utterly oblivious or a tsundere-type, there is a source of comedy from those events where they'd come close to being closer only to fail. There will also be bits of slapstic, quirky characters, etc., so that the 'heaviness' of figuring out which nation wiped another off of the map doesn't make this an angst-title (or worse).

The plushies are placed in set locations by me during the map-making phase, so the technical question is how to have the discovery of plushie X be recorded in something like an array. I don't know if making each plushie a key item is a simpler or harder solution than:

if(plushie_12 found)
then
set(list_of_plushies(12, true))
end if

The search for the plushies itself is designed to be a lighthearted bit of 'fluff' (no pun intended) to lighten the mood with cuteness. The idea of the plush armor is adorable -- I now have the idea of the character who wants to prove she isn't getting by on her looks accidentally donning a 'Tanuki Suit' (like in Super Mario Bros. 3).

I don't like them being currency -- I feel that that's unfair to the plushies -- but possibly a trade-in for info on the search for the four plushiesuits is interesting (my game has a lot of things based on 'fours' occurring -- four countries, protagonists, prophesies, etc.).

ozubon

surströmming?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can define an array, totally disregard "intended" (psh) array ordinality and use the array as a simplified object
JavaScript:
$gameVariables.plushiesFound = []
And then when plushie 12 is found:
JavaScript:
$gameVariables.plushiesFound[12] = true
And for conditional branches just:
JavaScript:
$gameVariables.plushiesFound[12]
will return true if it is

Oh... I assumed you're working in MV! This solution is for MV

Last edited:

HaneHaeterun

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can define an array, totally disregard "intended" (psh) array ordinality and use the array as a simplified object
JavaScript:
$gameVariables.plushiesFound = []
And then when plushie 12 is found:
JavaScript:
$gameVariables.plushiesFound[12] = true
And for conditional branches just:
JavaScript:
$gameVariables.plushiesFound[12]
will return true if it is

Oh... I assumed you're working in MV! This solution is for MV
I am working in MV, which is why I put the pseudocode. I wasn't sure if MV's JavaScript abilities included treating arrays like that.

The overall question is less implementation-mechanics (although your code snippets are greatly appreciated!) and far more one of the idea itself: what happens to the player for collecting the dolls?

ozubon

surströmming?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe they can be donated to an animal orphanage and everytime you come back with a new one a matron tells you a kawaii story of how a puppy or kitten or baby giant spider interacted with the previous one. Possibly letting you pet a dragon as thanks, and the dragon is reluctant but for each time you visit it seems to grow fonder of your party members and when you have donated all the plushies you can call the dragon as backup.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Inline with @ozubon 's idea you could gift them to an orphanage and if all the kids have one there is a celebration of sorts. Maybe even making it a secret santa kinda deal?

The armor idea is also funny xD

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I have something similar in my game, and I haven't completely decided what the reward would be either.

I like @ozubon's idea of having to donate them somewhere. Not sure if you've played Stardew Valley, but minerals and artifacts get donated to a museum and for every X number you get an item as a reward (weapons, armors or special items).
I've also played a game where you got a secret chest near the end of the game if you collected them (nearly) all.
Another option would be an extra scene or a secret location that opens.

HaneHaeterun

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ozubon 's idea is clever. It reminds me of an event from Final Fantasy XIV (event already ended -- "Little Ladies' Day" 2020), which made me have happy-tears. If I could find the right sprites (with battlers) for a teddy-bear-warrioress, I'd have that be the reward from the kids in the orphanage. And it works as the opposite as an earlier gag (a 999,999 gil "Unnecessary Cheese" accessory that literally gives you no buffs, and no de-buffs).

The "Developers' Room" might work instead (think Final Fantasy IV).

And nothing's stopping me from doing both -- or for you to do either/both, @slimmmeiske2

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd recommend having "steps" along the way: If there are a few hundred plushies in your game, for instance, you might have a reward for every 20 plushies found (and turned into the orphanage, if you decide to go with @ozubon 's nifty idea - you could even display the plushies in the orphanage as decorative events once turned in!). Otherwise, it's going to feel very unrewarding to players who pick up hundreds of plushies (but don't find them all) and then never get anything for their efforts.

Early tiers (20, 40, 60) could be things like rare consumables that you can't find in shops, only from uncommon monster drops. Late tiers could be endgame-level equipment (the plushie armor and such). Milestones along the way (100, 200, etc.) could be purely aesthetic rewards, like costumes or new spell animations.

As far as the reward for finding every single plushie in the game? My first instinct would be to unlock the game's "bonus dungeon" (a postgame dungeon with very strong enemies and uniquely powerful rewards, where players who enjoy your game's combat can endlessly grind). However, this might be something you want to offer players who happened to miss a few plushies along the way and don't want to scour the entire world figuring out which ones they're missing.

So other solutions for the "collected 'em all" reward could be a special set of weapons (I liked Tales of Symphonia's approach of granting weapons which grow in power with each enemy the character kills), a special alternate ending to the game, another really cool aesthetic bonus, an equip that reduces MP costs to 0, or an item which grants the player a lot of gold and can be used endless times. Alternately, if you have a unique and interesting combat mechanic, maybe the reward could tie into that - for example, in an ATB system, the reward could cause your party to start off with full ATB's at the beginning of each combat so that they can expediently wipe out easy enemies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

What does your project folder look like?
I was told that an iPhone can provide a personal internet hotspot...You learn something new everyday!
Will probably never use MZ. Buys it anyway
Been playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope, the remastered version on PS4. I like it. Seems others think it's garbage, but I like these cutesy, silly, and tropey characters. Having waaaay more fun with it than SO: Integrity and Faithlessness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nwr