STUDY: Languages in the RPG Maker Community

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by MushroomCake28, Jan 31, 2019.

1. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @elpeleq42 Oh that's better than the average for sure. It's just that people are are somewhat geeks and nerds, and I say that in a positive way (and include myself in that description lol).

Finnuval likes this.
  2. mishakoc

mishakoc Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My mother tongue is Czech (hello, @Poryg, I'm glad there's someone from the Czech Republic as well) and I can speak English. Though I found out my pronunciation is not quite as good as I'd like. I speak Czech more often than English but write in English more often than Czech. I used to learn German as well, but I didn't like it much and am happy I don't need to use it anymore.

I guess I more or less understand Slovak as well. However, nobody would generally consider it "other language", because it's way too similar to Czech.

Finnuval and MushroomCake28 like this.
  3. Aoi Ninami

Aoi Ninami Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    English and Japanese (as you might guess from my name :p ). I learned German in high school, but it's become very rusty through years of disuse. I could go to Germany and get by with things like asking for directions and buying tickets, but I couldn't hold a proper conversation. I wish I did know the language better -- my sister lives in Germany and my niece will grow up bilingual, and my girlfriend is also German -- but I've just not been able to find time to keep up with it. Maybe after I finish my course....

samkfj, Finnuval and MushroomCake28 like this.
  4. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @elpeleq42 I'll have to agree with @MushroomCake28 here... certainly above average but this place is loaded with nerds, geeks and the odd weirdo (the latter of which I certainly am one lol) :D

5. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Finnuval And I'd like to add to that list, nerds and proud of it!

Finnuval likes this.
  6. Lemonrice

Lemonrice Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Funny, it's the same for me for dutch. I suppose the languages are quite close to eachother.

So, my native is german but i feel very comfortable with english up to a point where I prefer to write and plot rather in english than bothering with having to translate everything later.

I also started to learn french as I love the sound of the language but ditched that to switch to danish. I first went to denmark with my parents when I was a little kid and continue to do so, now that I have my own family, so i think it's about time to finally learn the language.

samkfj, MushroomCake28 and Finnuval like this.
  7. jaykeith

jaykeith Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Mother tongue is English. Don't know any other languages but travelled to South America and can say a few phrases in Spanish if I had to. Tried learning Spanish seriously for a few months and then fizzled.

Finnuval likes this.
  8. Rixis (릭시스)

Rixis (릭시스) Mecha Queen Veteran

First Language:
    Korean
    I speak Korean and english. As far as I know, im the only Korean speaker on this forum.

9. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Tagalog/Filipino, and english as my second language. I dont know any other language aside from maybe a bit of japanese from watching anime xD

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  10. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    My most used language irl is Javanese. It's a local language. But even with that, my local language divided into two groups. Eastern and Middle Javanese. The middle Javanese language usually tends to feel more polite. I don't have a problem with both. In addition, on the island where I live, there're two distinct languages, which are Sundanese and Javanese. And even though it's on the same island, I don't speak Sunda.

The good thing is we have our National language, which is Indonesian. I don't have trouble speak Indonesian on the internet/chat/any social media. But I tend to mix them up with Javanese sometimes irl.

English is the next language that I'm fluent aside from those two. But it's only on texting. I'm getting awkward when speaking because it was never been a demand to speak English in my place.

Other languages that I think I know some of their rules and/or words are Arabic and Japanese (thanks to the anime that I know some of the words). But I don't plan to actually learn those languages. Learning a language has always been my weakness.

If I'm going to mention further, I also speak Java, Javascript, C#, Ruby, PHP, and HTML (if that counts)

TWings, Engr. Adiktuzmiko and samkfj like this.
  11. Misaki

Misaki Pikalyze Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Vietnamese, though it sort of died on me somewhere after the second grade. My family still speaks it primarily in any interaction, but I've sort of lost the ability to formulate sentences anymore. Mostly it became a language I understood but couldn't use to speak. Given how early I lost it, I treat English as my general first language.

12. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm french so there's that (although I happen to forget some words sometimes).
    I think I got a decent enough level in english. I use it to communicate with some of my friends, read books, watch TV shows, play games...
    Then there's japanese (most particularly the kansai dialect) which is the language I speak at home and in my daily life. Unfortunately, I'm still very far from being comfortable enough to read novels or have advanced debates with people in that language.
    Aside from those, I got some understanding of most latin based languages. I can understand to some point spanish and italian.
    I've learned a few words of chinese out of necessity, and studied a bit of korean years ago, but it's safe to say I mostly don't understand those.

13. ChampX

ChampX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Really only English. I did self study Japanese for awhile and I still have a lot of reading and audio material, but I stopped in favor of bettering my development skills as that would carry me much further and Japanese was more of an interest. I can still read kana, but it would be very difficult for me to navigate my way around Japan. One day I may get back into it again...