STUDY: Occupation study of members in the RPG Maker Community

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by MushroomCake28, Jan 31, 2019.

1. MachineElf

MachineElf Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MushroomCake28 thank you :)

Many people are chasing mirages under the illusion that they'll wind up in a career that is mentally, emotionally and financially satisfying.

After spending years trying to craft the perfect career path, I'm at a place where I have no idea about what the future will hold - and I'm very happy with that!

MushroomCake28 likes this.
  2. Switz

Switz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Always had a bit of a OCD mentality. In kindergardnd my favorite toy was a abacas. Yes, that thing ancient Romans used to do local taxes. As I look back at that weird kid I know now that "extra" attention my teacher gave me was probably to go behind my back and tell my parents I needed to go to a pychiatrist.

Then came the PS2 "Codebreaker". I hacked more games with that and was first to post them on cheat sites than probably the company itself.

I got cancer in High School and discovered I loved the crap out of picture puzzles. My mom, who at that time was in "I need to save every memory of my wierd son mode" saved all my completed puzzles. There is about 400 framed puzzles collecting dust somewhere out there and future aliens will examine this phenomenon for many years.

Then came 9/11. Odd thing to obsess over, but the USMC felt the best fit for me at the time. Good times.

I then became addicted to video games and began making maps for said games. This finally lead me to RPG Maker and making games I always loved as a kid in between my obsession sprees

3. MachineElf

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am loving all the stories in this thread!

4. SepulcherGeist

SepulcherGeist Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm 30.
    I'm a full-time Medical Assistant (MA) also in college to become a Registered Nurse (RN).
    I'm also a traditionally published fantasy author, YouTuber, and hope to be a game maker using RPG Maker MV, of course.

5. MachineElf

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SepulcherGeist How are you finding making games as a medium for storytelling as opposed to novels?

6. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I work at a theme park right now, but I plan to go back to college at some point.

7. animesock52

animesock52 Sock Witch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Lets see. When I first joined the forums I believe I was still in college. I finally graduated almost 3 years ago now. Class of 2016 yeh! I got my degree in Studio Art, we focused on traditional fine art. So, it prepped people to be the kind of artists that display art in galleries and things. I wanted to do digital illustration and work online, so I was kind of the odd ball.

However, thanks to working at my college's onsite galleries, I now work in my local Museum as the Assistant Registrar!

My main job is digitizing our hard copy art/ education collection records. (Bringing things to the digital age), however we are not a particularly large museum which mean you get to work in several area. My work calls it "wearing many hats"
    I also give tours to our school groups on field trip, help put up exhibits, resupply the craft area etc.
    You never really know what you might do. I got to help put a diaper on a baby lemur once. :kaopride:

Its an art and science museum, so its really cool getting to see nice art as well as science stuff. I think science is cool.
    One day, maybe next rpgmaker jam thingy, I want to make a short game based on working in a small museum, I think its a really interesting experience.

8. WilsonScarloxy

WilsonScarloxy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I studied Biology in university and then I did a master degree in Neuroscience. Then suddenly I said I want to dedicate my full time to art and here I am, designing pixel art for videogames hahah

See ya!

Will.

9. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  10. WilsonScarloxy

WilsonScarloxy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This first months are being rough, but I try to remain positive to hopefully stay in art. I was being so unhappy with my science work :c

11. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Great for you!

WilsonScarloxy likes this.
  12. DRG

DRG Orange juice lover Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In high school, Sophomore, 3 days till summer vacation starts and I become a Junior. My first and previous Job was a Dishwasher/Chores boy at a local meat market. I've taken the 2 game design courses and (as far as i know) all the programming courses in my school. I'm hoping on becoming an indie game dev but if that doesn't work out i'll either try and join a company as a game developer/designer or i'll go to college and get a degree in computer science.
    That's what I hope for anyways.