Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there, fellow gamedevs, I have run into a bit of a roadblock here.

As some of you probably know, I am making a game based off of math and such. I want all of my bosses to be based off of irrational numbers, with the golden ratio being the final boss as it is the "most irrational." But, however, as previously mentioned, I have run into a bit of a roadblock.

At it's core, all of my bosses are based off of numbers. And I want to make my bosses look cool whilst actually making sure that the enemy designs correlate to the numbers that the bosses are based off of. So, is there any way to "stylize" or "visualize" a number that would possibly make this process easier?

And my other problem relates to the enemy design of other miscellaneous monsters you would find in the area. I want them to have a correlation to the number, but also look good and unique. I already have some monster designs in mind, but they don't really conform to any specific location, so I might save those for later.

Feel free to just throw ideas out, as always, as this is really just meant for brainstorming purposes.

Unisoft

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there, fellow gamedevs, I have run into a bit of a roadblock here.

As some of you probably know, I am making a game based off of math and such. I want all of my bosses to be based off of irrational numbers, with the golden ratio being the final boss as it is the "most irrational." But, however, as previously mentioned, I have run into a bit of a roadblock.

At it's core, all of my bosses are based off of numbers. And I want to make my bosses look cool whilst actually making sure that the enemy designs correlate to the numbers that the bosses are based off of. So, is there any way to "stylize" or "visualize" a number that would possibly make this process easier?

And my other problem relates to the enemy design of other miscellaneous monsters you would find in the area. I want them to have a correlation to the number, but also look good and unique. I already have some monster designs in mind, but they don't really conform to any specific location, so I might save those for later.

Feel free to just throw ideas out, as always, as this is really just meant for brainstorming purposes.

I’d be really interested to see how this pans out!

As there are an infinite set of irrational numbers, it might be good to know which ones you’re going with. For specific values there may be decent ideas.

I’m sure you’ve probably considered it, but the only general idea i have at the moment is using the pythagoras snail/spiral. This is a nice representation of irrational numbers.

What thoughts do you have already?

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, firstly, I am planning on using e, pi, and the golden ratio, as already stated.

The spiral does seem to be a good idea, and I am thinking that maybe I can subtly work it into the design, so thank you for that idea!

Some of the other ideas I had was copying and pasting the digits of the numbers and making bosses that have the digits, as, ig skin, is the best way to describe it- anywho, that was really the only idea I had, so...

RCXDan

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmm. @Alador When it comes to stylization maybe have the monsters look like actual RPG monsters and distort the designs the more "irrational" the number they're based off of is, to the point where they become eldritch in nature.

Like what I would do is have the monsters all bear similar qualities so you can tell from a glance what they can do. For example, the Heartless from Kingdom Hearts all have yellow eyes and had this emblem marked somewhere on their bodies to signify that they were in fact... well, Heartless and not some other kind of monster.

Math isn't my strong suit, so I can't help on that front, but maybe you could do something similar.

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@RCXDan, hmm yess, that could work-

mephet

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like RCXDan's suggestion! If the irrational numbers are presented as sort of ancient Pythagorean bad guys, destroying the order and balance of a world of perfect rational numbers, then going for chaos and a twisting of the natural order would be especially fitting.

On the other hand, the golden ratio is in reality very pleasing and "ordered" to our human eyes, even though it's an irrational number. Spirals are everywhere in nature, and in my opinion they are nice and soothing to look at. So that's another direction you could take this. Since irrational numbers are defined by not being expressible as ratios or a finite or repeating decimal, I think I associate them with complexity (which can be either ugly/distorted or beautiful). Rational numbers could then be represented by simple, repeating designs and clear shapes, while irrational numbers could be much more elaborate and complex, even fractal in their design.

Edit: another thought - with e and pi, perhaps you could also link them visually to common contexts where students might encounter them in math? I.e. pi -- circles.

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mephet, that.. that is actually a really good suggestion, and you've just given me an idea, so thank you-

Maybe what we could do is a combination of the two ideas. The first two irrational number bosses are presented as chaotic and "ancient Pythagorean villains," as you put it, and then the final boss, the Golden Ratio, is more ordered and complex, kind of like a if-you-weren't-evil-then-you'd-look-beautiful thing...

Unisoft

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Visually, I think mephet has hit the nail on the head. That’s what I think I’d go with if it were me. Interesting concepts to play with there thematically too.

you could work the specific numbers into their mechanics, skills, stats and damage formulae too. For example, e could buff exponentially over time.

Alador

The Mage of Mythix
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Unisoft, that is very smart, working the numbers into the gameplay-

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Moved to Game Ideas & Prototypes board since this question is specific to your own project rather than a general discussion topic.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

The RPG Maker community really is the best. It's so wholesome, kind, and helpful, unlike other communities on the internet, Love all you guys!
KenKrath wrote on RPGMakerWeb's profile.
Nevermind.
I found a book about game localization. It costs R$708,00 on Amazon. ;_;

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bamionic