LadyHammer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey everyone! Thanks again to those who helped me out with my last question.

I have another!

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

So, early in the game you find a "Dossier" item. It gets added to the menu. When you open the menu and go to "Dossier", it opens up a sub-menu to view all of the notes, clues, journal entries, etc. that have been collected.

Essentially it's acting like a binder that you're keeping all this stuff in and can look at from its own spot in the menu instead of having to go through everything in the "Items" section.

Honestly I have no idea where to start. I got as far as making a common event and messing with some menu plug-ins, but then stopped and figured I should ask for help.

Is this WAY easier than I think it is, or am I right to be puzzled lol?

Dalamar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure which plugin you are using for this, but this would definitely require a lot of planning before you do any of the eventing/writing in engine.  I would put everything into a document so you can make sure you settle into a specific order and make changes to that until you have the game's plot at least outlined.  It will be easier to edit the order of things in the document than it would be in a long event or searching for multiple script calls. 

LadyHammer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The one I used was Yanfly's Main Menu Manager, which got me as far as getting the "Dossier" onto the Menu in the first place (yay!) but after that I'm a little lost.

Keeping it a document first is great advice!  And I will stick to that until I get far enough into developing the game itself that I feel I won't keep making major changes to it.

But what would the next step be to actually implement this? I keep looking for a tutorial/video so I don't have to keep bugging everyone lol, but so far I haven't found anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalamar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A quest journal/log plugin might be a bit better suited to your needs.

LadyHammer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's a really great idea. I hadn't considered that some of those out there function very close to what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I hate doing voice over videos but people said they like hearing about the details.
Modern Town Overworld, World of Solaria Dungeon, 80's Retro-Futuristic Font | RPG Maker News #73

I been slowing down and not focusing on project currently.
I had this idea for VTubers vs MOTHER and its a bunch of Vtubers finding eight melodies to fight a psychic alien and a fat kid. IDK, kinda find it hard to use RPG Maker for more than 15 minutes
Working on some wizard/magic bases:
TestChara-10-hover.gif

I mean, technically it's a flying base but I haven't made any wings yet, so magic hovering is it for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katsuumo