Subject [Mystery/Horror adventure]

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Indrah, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
     ​
     ​
    You wake up in a dark room covered in bandages.
    Will you make it out safely?
     ​

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

----------------------------------​

Subject is a very simple and short text adventure game, clocking at around 30 minutes (unlocking all endings).
    Make your choices and decide where to go next and what to do to unlock a total of 8 different endings.​

Click here to download
    (No rtp or external files required)​
     ​
    Spanish translation can be found HERE.​

Endings List:

The game is not particularly hard, but here is a list of endings with some hints on how to get them.

No spoilers, but you may want to try and get them yourself before reading this.

End1: Frozen

Eat the food in the freezer.

End2: Capture

Enter the freezer but do not eat. Open the simple wooden door in the living room.

End3: Stasis

Open the simple door in the living room and get closer.

End4: Rescue

Open the simple door in the living room and back away.

End5: Escape

Drink from the pond in the greenhouse and open the glass door.

End6: Monster

Open the simple metal door in the greenhouse and advance all the way.

End7: Trap

Open the simple metal door in the greenhouse, but turn back. Go right in the tunnel.

End8: Freedom

Open the simple metal door in the greenhouse, but turn back. Go left in the tunnel.

*Note: If you're having a different ending or being forced along another route, chances are you entered the freezer. That event influences other events, so make a new file and don't go there.

The game was made in less than two days for the Halloween Contest event for 2013, and as a very, very last minute entry.
    I it's certainly not perfect or as polished and long as I'd have liked, but it was still a nice experience for me. I hope you enjoy the game.
    And most imporantly, help to the wonderful Mareemo who agreed to my last minute request for the art \;o;/

Credits:
    Developer: Indrah
    Art: Marimo
    Music: Presence of Music
    Scripts: Modern Algebra, Jet, Fomar

Supportbar:
    Want to display a rather lame supportbar on your sign? Now's your chance! Copy this code in your signature (and it'll make me very happy ;A;)
    [​IMG]

[img=http://i.imgur.com/VFl4vJK.png]Finally: Feedback is my treasure! Please give me it.  @w@
    If you want to discuss the story in depth or similar spoilery things, please hide the incriminating bits in spoiler tags.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  2. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Less than 2 days? You aren't an ordinary human being, that's for sure...

I think I've got only 3 different endings out of 8 for now, love the gorgeous art, the atmosphere and the mistery, will bother you with a few questions once I've done everything.

And I will (of course) add the supportbar in my signature, I like every single one of your games...dayum you...you're awesome. :razz:

Alastor01, Susan and Bukarett like this.
  3. judgebeanhead

judgebeanhead Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I managed to get to a few of the endings.

This was a pretty good game. Certainly doesn't seem like only 2 days of work.

I can't really give my opinion on the endings without spoiling anything, but I think the narrative was pretty good.

I wanna play more of this game.

4. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad you enjoyed! It certainly felt short to me, but alas, no time XD Maybe one day I'll revisit the visual novel genre...Some day, far off into the future where I am not in a chokehold by other projects OTL

5. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Indrah, you are an inspiration. And a wonderfully sinister narrative in just two days? I need to find out someday how I can make something like this :)

Thank you so much for the scares!

6. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Since I love horror I am really strict when it comes to such games. Most people abuse the genre. A horro game needs to play with your senses in a way you will actually feel like being in there and feel the horror. Thus it is very hard to succeed in such a thing.

Indrah's game is a success though! It isn't the game that will put you into terror, but it does the trick. You get the correct feeling and atmosphere. No jump scares at all. That shows true skill and no cliché tricks. A scare has nothing to do with horror after all.

First off I start from credits! They are there! There could be a centering fix for them but seriously... who watch credits anyway? :)

Let's dive into the experience.

The title menu has great music to introduce you to the game, and slowly adapt you to it.

And what do I see? A working mouse interface! Mouse interface is important on such games.

That was a pleasant surprise really.

The game is dark, picture based, with original artwork. This shows the power of the visual novel genre. If you got the right elements and the talent to set things up just right, you can make a great storytelling experience. Horror is still a challenge though.

It helps a lot having original artwork I guess. using common resources can work bad on a horror game. Horror needs the feeling of something not familiar after all.

It also helps making the hero almost crippled in bandages! It reminds me “6 days a Sacrifice” what a great series of games that was...

Sound fx are a very nice surprise here. doing the job right!

There are not many used, but these fx did the job well done.

Music was also a very strong asset. It seals the whole experience with correct atmosphere!

The game refers to your senses, indirectly with text and directly with visual assets and sounds. I can say that the game is a fantastic experience.

You know nothing, but every time you finish it, you make seom sense of what is going on.

Eight different endings guarantee replayability value. The funny thing is that you wake up in pain, in a situation you wouldn't like. Still you replay that game again and again. It drags you in the situation and lures you with the crave to learn more about you, the subject.

The descriptions are quite nice. You can feel what the author tries to pass you. That is a huge success.

One bad thing though.

the game lost a huge chance to add some more gameplay options, like using items from an inventory, or solve puzzles here and there. There is nothing like that, but it could be awesome to such a setting. Just a suggestion for later releases.

Since it is named subject you do understand that it might refer to you. Good game, a proof that you can make great games with not much stuff.

InkPotion and Marquise* like this.
  7. Indrah

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Subject has been translated to Spanish by the wonderful Narzisse! You can find it over here.

8. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I absolutely love point and click games. Consider the game played.

9. projectx

projectx Warper Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    I loved the game. Only felt a little short, but it had a mysterious feeling to it. Also the art style.. very nice.. 8/10

10. Nightblade50

Nightblade50 Developer of "Delta Origins" Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Indrah

Amazingly well done!
    I got the last ending - ending 8.

6Penny likes this.