Successful marketing on GameJolt/Itch.io/other sites?

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello everyone,

Since I've been getting closer to releasing my game, I've naturally started thinking about how I'm going to market it. I'm starting out with the two sites I specifically listed in the title, and I'm planning on getting my game on more stores (Google Play possibly, Steam if it seems like it'll be worth it- I know Steam's a pretty saturated market) as I go on- since this is the first time I've sold anything, game or not, I'm starting small. However, I realize that I can't just throw my game up there and expect people to-

A.) know it's there and
B.) buy it.

Which brings me to my question- how do I go about marketing my game on these platforms, in terms of letting people know it exists & such?

Thanks in advance for your help, and I look forward to reading your answers. :)

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just an idea but posting it in gamedev related reddit subs might help. That's how youtubers promote their videos when they first upload them.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You have a couple of options imo:
  • Youtube: You can make videos there, gameplay, tutorial, advertizing, or have some youtuber play your game, etc.
  • Twitter: You can post screenshots, or short clips of your game. You can use the hashtags for game makers (#gamedev, #indiedev, #indiegamedev, etc.)
  • Instagram: Similar to Twitter, but might be more effective if you have a loyal following.
  • Facebook and Youtube advertising: those are great tools to reach a lot of people and have a target audience. However, ads aren't as effective as these were years ago. It doesn't mean that they aren't effective though.
  • Gamedev communities: This is one of the best option to spread your game. This community is a great example, but there are others too.
  • Reddit: Again, this is similar to the gamedev communities one.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28 I attach to this discussion, because I think about it for some time, but in my particular case there is one major problem. I don't have social media, well I've got youtube channel with stunning 1 subscription, facebook page and working demo on itch.io with 9 followers, but I have difficulties with reaching for something more.

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just an idea but posting it in gamedev related reddit subs might help. That's how youtubers promote their videos when they first upload them.
I know this might seem like a dumb question, but is reddit a social media thing or something else? I see the site, but I can't quite figure out what is exactly is. Is it a forum like this one, or something like facebook?

You have a couple of options imo:
  • Youtube: You can make videos there, gameplay, tutorial, advertizing, or have some youtuber play your game, etc.
  • Twitter: You can post screenshots, or short clips of your game. You can use the hashtags for game makers (#gamedev, #indiedev, #indiegamedev, etc.)
  • Instagram: Similar to Twitter, but might be more effective if you have a loyal following.
  • Facebook and Youtube advertising: those are great tools to reach a lot of people and have a target audience. However, ads aren't as effective as these were years ago. It doesn't mean that they aren't effective though.
  • Gamedev communities: This is one of the best option to spread your game. This community is a great example, but there are others too.
  • Reddit: Again, this is similar to the gamedev communities one.
Thanks! YouTube I tried... I can try again. Having a YouTuber play my game- how would I go about doing that?
Twitter, Instagram, Facebook- out for various reasons. They're a no-go, but I see how they would help.
Facebook & YouTube adversiting- is this expensive?
Gamedev communities- this one has worked out amazingly for me thus far, what are some others?
Reddit- see above.

Thanks to both of you for your help!

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Soulrender Well that's why the audience building process is an essential one in the gamedev business. Most people are creators, not advertisers/sellers, I get that. However, if you want to sell a commercial game, you'll need to have those marketing skills and an audience. It is really I know, but it is doable. Also, I wouldn't expect many sells for your first game. Just consider it a first step in building an audience.

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MechScapeZH They're more like facebook than a forum I guess. You go to reddit and then search for communities you like. It's like youtube subscriptions a bit too. It's big. Probably the #1 thing that'll boost your numbers. You can also make devlogs(that's what I do) on youtube but it takes time to build up a following. One thing not mentioned yet is joining gamedev Discord channels. A lot of people who play RPG Maker games have Discords in their descriptions under the video. That's a community thing similar to a forum but more catered to chatting.

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MechScapeZH They're more like facebook than a forum I guess. You go to reddit and then search for communities you like. It's like youtube subscriptions a bit too. It's big. Probably the #1 thing that'll boost your numbers. You can also make devlogs(that's what I do) but it takes time to build up a following. One thing not mentioned yet is joining gamedev Discord channels. A lot of people who play RPG Maker games have Discords in their descriptions under the video. That's a community thing similar to a forum but more catered to chatting.
Ah, I see. Do they require you to give a lot of information & is it moderated well? That's my main problem with Facebook and such- they make you practically give the color of your socks, and you'll see people saying really mean stuff. (That's why I'm on here instead of there.)

Discord... This is another thing I've never heard of. Do they require you to give a lot of info & are they well moderated? Also, I can't just go in there and be like... "THIS IS MY GAME, PLEASE PLAY IT!!" Have you used Discord to promote yourself & what did you say?

Thanks for your help.

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Start building an audience now.

Not having any link to social media like twitter could be problematic, though. Do you have a website for the game? How can people find you if you don’t have a place for them to find.

The best way to build an audience is to engage with your audience. That means contributing to Facebook groups, Reddit groups, forums etc. in your video game’s genre.

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Start building an audience now.

Not having any link to social media like twitter could be problematic, though. Do you have a website for the game? How can people find you if you don’t have a place for them to find.

The best way to build an audience is to engage with your audience. That means contributing to Facebook groups, Reddit groups, forums etc. in your video game’s genre.
I do have a website. And I do realize that it could be problematic, but... I'm sticking to this. I honestly can't bring myself to join social media for the reasons I said. It's like... compromising my principals to sell more copies. That's how it is for me- you are 100% correct, but... Yeah. I can't really say any more. You're right, but I still can't join such sites in good conscience.

Engage with my audience- thank you. I'll remember that.

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MechScapeZH Nah just your email and password. Discords and Reddit subs have mods for each thing(usually) but you'll most likely never hear from them.

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MechScapeZH Nah just your email and password. Discords and Reddit subs have mods for each thing(usually) but you'll most likely never hear from them.
OK, I see. Cool, I'll check it out. Never hear from there in that people behave, or in that they don't do their jobs?

FleshToDust

I make youtube videos
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MechScapeZH I like them better than even this site. It's more casual. Also in Discord specifically there's a section for promoting your game. Just post a link and say a sentence about the game. Don't need to beg or anything. People are there looking for stuff to play.

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MechScapeZH I like them better than even this site. It's more casual. Also in Discord specifically there's a section for promoting your game. Just post a link and say a sentence about the game. Don't need to beg or anything. People are there looking for stuff to play.
Oh, that's cool! Where can I find this section? I'm glad I don't have to beg, haha.

MechScapeZH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I've launched my game now- which was a big step in and of itself- and I find myself coming back to this question as I go into the marketing stage & focus all my energy on marketing my game- so far I've got

-Reddit
-Discord
-Having a Youtuber play my game (somehow- still working on how exactly I'm going to do this, but it's an idea, right?)

I'm working on a uniform "game pitch" to post here-and-there and I wanted to get everyone's opinions on this again before I do so I don't have spend forever & ever posting to different places.

Thank you in advance for your help.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@FleshToDust : Would you mind PM'ing me this section too for promoting games on Discord?

rue669

RueToYou
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MechScapeZH Congrats on completing and releasing the game! I'd be happy to look over a pitch and offer any suggestions, if I can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Super stoked i just finished my first town in my project, by finished i mean i can always add more decorative aesthetics and the NPCs don't talk yet but the mapping is complete and all the important chess pieces are present!
My brain: Hey, I have an idea how to make the transition to the main story quest in The Wastes more natural!
Me: Good!
My brain: You need to remake the hotel you start out in, it's not realistic enough.
Me: Ok... This was unexpected, but I can do it.
My brain: Now make each hotel floor 5 times as large to match the main part. Oh, you also need to make a bunch of new npcs to fill in the space on these maps.
Me: Crap.
Should be able to release Haxe MV/MZ next weekend.
It look that somehow MZ tracks are messed up (for example battle4 is obviously a theme, castle2 is a ship, ship1 is a scene and so on..). Maybe they just named them after with some ambiguity.
is there a script call that return how much turn has passed in battle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightnvs