Sudden Plugin.js Problem

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
After closing RPG Maker MV, I tried opening it again later but for some reason Steam had uninstalled it. After reinstalling it, I tried opening my project and it said "Unable to read file plugins.js," despite me not changing anything in it. I tried looking through the files to see if anything had an invalid character in it, and I tried resetting Steam's download cache, but to no avail. Any help, please?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
somehow your files got damaged. That usually happens sooner or later if you placed your project at a wrong place in your computer, like a cloudsync'ed folder or inside the steam cache folders or something like that.
Never place your project into something other than regular data folders!

Most likely you'll have to use your last backup to repair your project.
And if you give us the complete filepath where you stored it (from drive letter to index.html) we can try to find out what the cause was (there are several other options) to help you preventing a repeat.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
somehow your files got damaged. That usually happens sooner or later if you placed your project at a wrong place in your computer, like a cloudsync'ed folder or inside the steam cache folders or something like that.
Never place your project into something other than regular data folders!

Most likely you'll have to use your last backup to repair your project.
And if you give us the complete filepath where you stored it (from drive letter to index.html) we can try to find out what the cause was (there are several other options) to help you preventing a repeat.
I mean, that's the thing, I didn't change the file's place, so I have no idea what happened. And plus, Steam would never actually let me backup my files so eh. "C:\Users\bigby\OneDrive\Documents\DoD 0; No Hope" (I think this is what you mean but I'm not sure)
or file:///C:/Users/bigby/OneDrive/Documents/DoD%200%3B%20No%20Hope/index.html

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
C:\Users\bigby\OneDrive\Documents\DoD 0; No Hope
1) Onedrive is a cloudsync service - it's automatically installed by microsoft if you don't deny them, but it makes the folder a risc for all programs that save like a database (for example MS Access or Filemaker as well as all RPG-Makers)
Please store your project somewhere where onedrive does not automatically syncs

2) DoD 0; No Hope - this foldername is not conformuing to networking rules, which is required for HTML5-based games like RMMV projects.
No spaces allowed, and the ; : are also forbidden symbols. Please rename your folder to latin-only letters with no spaces and a limited number of allowed symbols (_ is allowed for example, which is why it's often used to replace spaces in network files)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) Onedrive is a cloudsync service - it's automatically installed by microsoft if you don't deny them, but it makes the folder a risk for all programs that save like a database (for example MS Access or Filemaker as well as all RPG-Makers)
Please store your project somewhere where onedrive does not automatically syncs

2) DoD 0; No Hope - this foldername is not conforming to networking rules, which is required for HTML5-based games like RMMV projects.
No spaces allowed, and the ; : are also forbidden symbols. Please rename your folder to latin-only letters with no spaces and a limited number of allowed symbols (_ is allowed for example, which is why it's often used to replace spaces in network files)
I'm guessing there's no way to get any of my progress back either... I mean as long as it doesn't happen again. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
depends on what exactly is lost.
maps have a high chance of being recovered unless the files themselves are deleted, but the database files themselves if damaged can only be replaced from a backup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Husband has roped me into playing one of his PSO2 characters. Productivity is now negative.
Tileset A is lava! Don't burn D:
as MZ come out what you guys think about.....Some particles engine :3c?
Who wants to sing this song with me?~

Decided to submit my games to the Monday Night Stream. Figured it might be a fun way to get some traction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavaWave