[Suggestion] Avoid the Large Sprite clipping by Default! The "Taller Than O, Lower Than Star" Tile Passage

Would you like RPG Maker to have default tile passage type that won't clip tall sprites?

• Yes

Votes: 24 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Raith

Squire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The need of default "Taller Than O, Lower Than Star" Tile Passage:
  • This is a feature that will fix large sprite clipping issue through new type of tile passage
  • Since a long time ago in RPG Maker, there are only 3 kinds of passages: X, O, Star but no designation for such kind of passage.
  • Sadly, the Star passage doesn't care about sprite height - what it does is identify a tile by "here I am, the tile that will always be higher than tallest sprite you will create" - so it will clip any sprite higher than tile size once an event moved one coordinate below it. This may results as a corn stalk which cut your character hair without needing to go to barber such as in this screenshot:
    Suggestion2.png
  • There exist plugins in almost every generation of RPG Maker to fix this large sprite clip, such as this, this, this, and this, but even until today, no default fix yet...
  • Lets call it "triangle passage" or "Z passage", since this will deal with map-sprite Z-order

Mockups:
Suggestion.png

Why is this feature good?
This feature is great because of the following:
  • I believe at some point of their game development, a lot of makers use a tall (higher than tile height), moving sprites , which are prone to "large sprite clip" issue, and this will help them a lot.
  • This feature will fix the clipping issue of large sprite by default, minimizing possible issues created by plugin conflicts.
  • This feature will crank the engine flexibilty up for any maker using Dragonbone to edit their sprites

Possible issues with this feature?
Issues that might arise from this feature:
  • This will obviously break any still-in-development games that use any complex, interdependent plugin that already tried to fix this issue
  • More click will be needed in the tileset setting page when you designate wrong passage type

The Row

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I can't say for sure, but I am guessing this problem is one of the reasons for the chibi characters.

Raith

Squire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I can't say for sure, but I am guessing this problem is one of the reasons for the chibi characters.

Well, the one I use as example in the spoiler used the default, recommended sprite size (48 x 48 px), yet it still clipped on the head. That's why I suggest this feature.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Try using that overpass plugin Ojima-san included or make the above event a same as character layer.

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I use regions and events to solve this kind of problem, but I guess it can be useful?

I mean, for me personally it would mean saving a little time so is not really bad, but I never though of it as a big issue.

I will vote 'Yes' but a 'Sure, if possible' kind of yes.

Raith

Squire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Try using that overpass plugin Ojima-san included or make the above event a same as character layer.

The problem is, that clipping in the spoiler is a default case using event with "same as character" priority. And the worse news is: in the original, unplugged screenshot, the player sprite is actually clipped too - player sprite in the screenshot is not clipped because I use MV Neon Black's plugin which was further edited by Shaz. I don't know whether this is a bug or not - if not, it may confirm my suspicion that sprite is now shifted upwards by 12 px when an event is set to "same as character" priority.

About the overpass plugin (OverpassTileEventAttach.js, right?)...
It returns "TypeError: this.findMeta is not a function" upon entering Scene_Map. Tried the plugin in a brand new project, still give error. So I can't give comment about that.

The Row

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
To be honest the star tile seems to be design to handle only parts of the map that are above tiles that are nonepassable, such as bookshelves and/or other full sized furniture, that or tiles that are completly above the player.
I find it very unlikley they would implement a "smart" tile, as it would need quite a lot of "checks" to pull of.

But that isn't why I am writting. I might have found something to help you.
In the spoiler img, there is a fix, but it ain't "pretty".
You can move your player sprite down so that it is aligned with the bottom of the tile, as it is currently moved up x pixles. (I think it is 4 or 6.) This, I belive, is to make fool the human eye to not be so fixed on the tiles, as the player sprite will be moved enough to feel like it is "breaking" the tile formula.

As I said, It isn't flawles, and causes some minor visual degeneration (the character will be walking on the same pixel the walls ends on, wich can be offputting to mention one such thing.)
It is basically the same as putting $ or ! (forgot which) in front of a event to make it appear at the tile boarder (check the chest images to see which symbol) I want to recall however that this doesn't work on the player sprite, you need to make a script call to lower it, which I can't find at the moment... But it might be enough to fix it for you, without the need for a plugin. (You will need a script however.)

That failing, go into your tileset and remake it so there are 2 diffrent "corn-plants" one that is meant for the row above, and one for the row bellow. Granted, it would only work if the image you have posted is for a cut scene, but the problem here isn't really the tileset overlap, it is the size of the tiles, and they said they won't fix that :/ saddly.
But I had to do this with all bookshelves/kitchen stuff among others, as things that are put next to a wall, should (using the default tileset) basically all be offset by 24 pixels to match the rest of it.
(For more info check out my "feedback"-thread: Here )

LadyAdiraa

Golden fur among the shadows.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'd love a feature like this as I'm currently facing this issues and it's driving me crazy. Thanks for putting this together. I know there are fixes out there that others have figured out, but I'm extremely slow in the head and have a lot of trouble understanding people's solutions unless they give a step by step via video format. :< So having something implemented into the program itself would be wonderful for people like myself. Thank you again and I wish you lots of luck for this becoming a feature. ♥

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think after I get this game done, I'm going to take a long vacation from game development. It feels great to see the coding skills get better and it is fun - but god it is also so exhausting.
Just advertising that I released version 0.9 of my game yesterday, for feedback purposes. My first game or creative endeavor ever :D Would be cool if someone tries it out!
An overall view of my full set of sprites so far, this was really fun to work in this past year! :kaopride:
1653056206274.png

Even though the game is cancelled, I'm still doing art in my spare time and seeing how it'd look.

It's a lot of fun. Wish I could be an artist!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cpy0716