RMMZ [Suggestion] Toolbar buttons for layer selection

Would you like to see this option implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 62 98.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Description of the Feature:
  • Addition of buttons in the toolbar for layer selection.

Mockups:
1597953926832.png

Why is this feature good?
This feature would save clicks while mapping, allowing a change in layers without the need to go through an additional menu.

Possible issues with this feature?
If someone had a very small screen, I'm not sure the full toolbar would fit in width.

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, and please add Hot Keys!

Ahuramazda

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
they already have hotkeys for shifting layers though, Control+Tab goes 1->2->3->4, Control+ Shift+Tab goes in reverse order, but I would agree to adding some buttons in the main bar! :D

SpunkyDuck

Ruby Programming Enthusiast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
(US) English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I remember asking about this a while back when they first showed the previews but the question was never answered. XP's UI is designed like that and I think that's faster then moving all the way up to a drop down menu and selecting layers that way. Is it needed? Not really... Would it be appreciated? Oh absolutely. Maybe when they do a routine update on an engine they can introduce this.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yup, layers would be a nice addition for map making, this would give a nice touch for maps, but I would go with layering like in photoshop, where you can endlessly add a new layer, but for regular maps 4 layers is enough.

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, and please add Hot Keys!
Yeah, this is a complaint i have.
I mean, i realize there's the ctrl tab option.. but it's a bit annoying and not very.. QOL.. ish.
Going directly would be better.

There's the 1 2 3 4 keys already.. and they do NOTHING when you're drawing out the map.. so why not make them DO something?
Why not have them go to each layer directly?

Garpie

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. Transitions (as in XP)
2. Fogs (as in XP)
3. Side view battle: Monsters like the heroes and not a stupid picture.
4. Sleeping in bed under blanket (as in XP)
5. ... ...

MikePjr

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Are you making suggestions?
Pretty sure you need to start a thread.
The only reason I made the shortcut key suggestion is because it relates to the topic.
Making swapping between layers more intuitive.

Galenmereth

Semi-retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
they already have hotkeys for shifting layers though, Control+Tab goes 1->2->3->4, Control+ Shift+Tab goes in reverse order, but I would agree to adding some buttons in the main bar! :D

So that's what the hotkeys were. This is not in the manual from what I can find.

The Row

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Imo Rpg maker could use some general hotkeys overall. For example 1-4 for layers A for autolayer, B for brush tool, QW to change between the diffrent tilesets, E for event tool, R for regions. Just to name a few.
But I guess that doesn't make sense if you are using a none qwert-keyboard layout.
For now I would be happy with just a few buttons as ctrl-tab and shift-tab doesn't come natural to me. Perhaps I simply isn't programming/writting enough text on the pc for it to feel natural.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
We (Touch and I) already suggested this during beta testing and it was denied. CTRL+TAB was something that was added because I requested for it too and it was the only shortcut key we can agree on.

Sorry my guys. IDK if this will be even considered still. :/

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Archeia, thank you for letting us know and keep up with your amazing works.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Really? That's so strange. I don't really understand why the UI wasn't built like that to begin with, so denying it after requested during testing makes even less sense to me. That would make it a choice and not an oversight and I can't come up with any reason to choose to make something harder to use. If there's some other way to prove to the devs that this is a desired thing besides my already existing vote, please let me know!

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm, I do not know either, but I am thankful she let us know. Bureaucracy nature of a cooperation is a mysterious to me.

Schlangan

A madman with a computer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
At least, I'd suggest displaying the shortcut keys in the menu. I created this post because I didn't know of those :D

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I fail to see why not. But let's hope for the best. Maybe in a later update, maybe in the next Maker version :D

The Row

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Really? That's so strange. I don't really understand why the UI wasn't built like that to begin with, so denying it after requested during testing makes even less sense to me. That would make it a choice and not an oversight and I can't come up with any reason to choose to make something harder to use. If there's some other way to prove to the devs that this is a desired thing besides my already existing vote, please let me know!

You said it. I thought the whole idea of testing was to listen to feedback and add things like this. Not doing so makes you wonder what the devs are thinking. Then again, the more I use MZ the more I see strange choices. Tiles not matching, C tileset being close to unusable by default, shadow layer being below layer 2-4 to name just the top of the list.

Now I won't say I can't think of reasons as to not add in this. But none of them are something you would ever want to admit as a dev. (Greed, lack of talented staff, no money etc.) I just hope this isn't the reasons behind it because if it is, this might be the last rpg maker we see.

BrownBread

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
This would be a godsend. Even hotkeys would be nice.

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
This idea was abandoned. So the topic needs to be closed, I think

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hi everyone! Enjoying this nice long weekend. How are you all doing? :)
I just successfully tested having events check if specific actors are in a particular party slot and then changing image to match. This will let me make scenes take into account who is in the party at the time and arrange them accordingly - this is important since I'll have extra actors beyond current party. The script used is the same from MV and is compatible with my current core plugin setup in MZ. Thank goodness.
That awkward moment when you're talking about thinking about writing a limited shop stock plugin for MZ and then find out you already wrote one...last May. My memory is so bad.
When I open my project and I'm like, hell yeah.
Some drawings I made in Lapis, one day I intend to involve them in some RPG Maker project.
* maybe two wall frames
*or some sprite flower tiara, or maybe it inspires someone to do something.
bdd19b62e539d17b3b00cc3d63034f7d.jpg

fcca5c8471b34483da8e032cfe579275.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L4TNG