RMMZ [Suggestion] Toolbar buttons for layer selection

Would you like to see this option implemented?

• Yes

Votes: 49 98.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Shin Kitsune

KITSUNE Game Design
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENG/SPA
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To be honest I support this idea. I was about to post a thread on it myself until I saw this.
It would be good because not all of us would look into the menus at first, or even less, use hotkeys/CTRL+TAB. I would really like the devs to consider adding the toolbar buttons. I imagine they would look somewhat like this:
1599558161848.png

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I have a question for Archeia and other forum moderators / administrators. Why the topic is still open if this idea was rejected. In principle, it makes no difference to me whether it will be implemented or not. You can switch layers using a hotkey. Besides, there are 4 layers so far. What if there are 20 layers in the future? And how do you see it? 20 buttons on the Toolbar? They won't fit.

Shin Kitsune

KITSUNE Game Design
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
ENG/SPA
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a question for Archeia and other forum moderators / administrators. Why the topic is still open if this idea was rejected. In principle, it makes no difference to me whether it will be implemented or not. You can switch layers using a hotkey. Besides, there are 4 layers so far. What if there are 20 layers in the future? And how do you see it? 20 buttons on the Toolbar? They won't fit.
I doubt they will add more than 4 layers in the future. Most people doesn't need more than that. Plus it would be a substantial change that could break the engine.
If that were the case though, I think they could also unify all the buttons in sort of a dropdown. Also, yes, the idea is rejected, but for what I see, they categorized it as " Rejected Features that we think worth reattempting again to suggest ". Most of the rejected features I saw were just plain vague or absurd (like "3d mapping" or "Action/Tactical battle system"), but adding the layer buttons on the toolbar like RPGXP did is one that would make perfect sense.

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I doubt it will be added either, but why should this break RPG Maker MZ? I think KADOKAWA can make more layers without breaking anything, but whether they will do this, the answer is 99 percent no, because very few people really need it.
I'm so used to working as in MV and working in the old way.

rpg_el

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Seems like most of you like it, so it'd be nice for the layer toolbar buttons to be added for that alone.

But I have to admit I prefer how it is now, which is why I'm secretly hoping if it comes that it'll have an option to turn the toolbar buttons off again in Tools > Options. I do use the manual layers sometimes but it's just not very often, and the toolbar is already super wide on my screen so the last thing I would personally want is even more buttons.

But I can see how popular it is, just wanted to throw in my two cents. Please don't rage on me :LZYshock:

The Row

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Please don't rage on me
RAGE!! RAGE!! RAGeee....

No serious dude/dude-ete people having diffrent preferences, it is a given.
That said, I would like the rpg maker team being more happy about adding options/buttons to their program than they currently are. Or failing that, let content creaters add new buttons and stuff like that on their own. There must be a way to give acess to the gui without giving acess to the source code, right? I mean, I can adda a button to MS Word, or OpenOffice, why not in RPG-Maker, that way each to their own...
These layerbuttons are just the tip of the iceberg.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I think, this is a missed opportunity for more user friendlyness.
The shortcut is good, but not perfect. I don't want to cycle through the layers to get to the one I need.
Also, the cycling doesn't give me immediately feedback on which layer I am right now.

It works, but it could be better. The same goes for the dropdown menu. It is just one more extra step that wouldn't be necessary with a better UI: Buttons in the tool bar and a shortcut for each specific layer.
Thanks @Archeia for fighting for our needs. Even if it wasn't successful, it is appreciated.

I still hope this will be considered down the line. Why hide the best mapping feature?

The Row

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Why hide the best mapping feature?
Not sure, but they even removed it in the past. (as it was there before but removed in MV, to replaced by an auto version) Perhaps they aren't sure it is here to stay, so they don't want to add too much if they are to remove it in the next iteration?

rpg_el

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I mean removing it fully again at this point would probably cause riots in the streets :kaoswt2: even I would actually miss it quite a bit, even though I voted against the toolbar buttons (I just don't use it enough to justify the used up screen space, but I really do appreciate it being in the menu). So I really hope that's not the plan

Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Killuki approves OP suggestion @Archeia how can such simple QoL suggestion be denied? Do they wipe their code after each release or what? No sense :(

People should support this suggestion much more, even deserves be in the main page of rpgmakerweb, no, BE THE RPGMAKERWEB ITSELF!!! (okay, I stop now, too much caffeine for today, I forgot this morning that caffeine makes disasters to my body gggggggggggggraagghhhhhh what can I do to keep me awake without caffeine :( ).

EDIT: Hahahah Kadokawa downvoted this suggestion HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAH can't believe it. Oh, you should disable the "can change vote" button, what if it was me just for trolling? Obviously I'm not that person, see:
1600379966200.png

Just Donald Trump approves it! (joking).
Okay gonna sleep now, too much internet for today.
Good night!

Beregon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Even if adding 4/5 buttons or so would be too much, why not just add one button on the toolbar that changes its appearance and immediately tells you which layer you are on/if automatic layering is enabled? It could double as a layer-switching button, but the ability to more easily tell which layer you are on is pretty much needed. Seems pretty simple.

Last edited:

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Even if adding 4/5 buttons or so would be too much, why not just add one button on the toolbar that changes its appearance and immediately tells you which layer you are on/if automatic layering is enabled? It could double as a layer-switching button, but the ability to more easily tell which layer you are on is pretty much needed. Seems pretty simple.
But this is already a good proposal, but as for me, the Japanese will not bother because of a couple of users, given that there are much more significant drawbacks that should be corrected, for example, making the list of events a little more useful than just choosing an event and showing where on the map, and this is given that the auto transition to the event not provided if it is out of scope.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

• Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
    --- Diary ---

M.Mage: It's the F.Mage's Diary. While she isn't here,i can read it.

May, 10: I'm hurt after the battle with the Minotaur. But luckily,F.Healer heal me with her Heal-2. That why,i Fall in Love with her.

M.Mage: Eh???
    So... some of my Desktop hardware has kicked it apparently (still trying to figure out what and how at the moment :/ ) .... yay?
    Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
    Made a HUGE (YYOOOOJJ) Update to Monstructs and moving towards a Steam Early Access release!
    A skill type called: "Rumagic". The intention is Magic with Rum(that pirates drink)
    Does it sound strange in English?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sosmax