Suggestions for implementing secret doors

nijineko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am looking for suggestions for implementing secret doors on the map level in my project.

Parameters:
  • This is a early rogue-like dungeon-crawl old-school style game.
  • Secret doors need to appear like any other stretch of wall prior to reveal.
  • After reveal, it needs to appear as a door.
  • The method to reveal secret doors is global - activate the reveal, and all secret doors on the map are revealed simultaneously.
  • The reveal method will last for a certain amount of time, or until certain regions with negation properties are entered whichever happens first.
  • Are there any two-square or three-square high by one-square wide doors anywhere?
My initial thoughts are trying to use some combination of region and events to replace the tiles with the door tiles during the reveal, but I'm not finding any suitable door graphics, which is bugging me enough that it is making it hard for me to figure out the logic. Silly, I know.

Last edited:

Arthur França

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try to use rocks and trees as events. Its cliche, but also very useful,

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I know there is a great post with these but cannot find it right now... sorry.

nijineko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Those bookcases look very nice.

Is there a way to change the tiles on the map on the fly? I'm still learning all the controls.

scanime

Will Make RPGs For Fun
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If the door is secret and needs to be hidden, you could just leave the event graphic empty. You won't need any special graphics for that. Then, when the secret door is no longer secret, use another event page that shows a regular door. Or are you looking for a graphic for the secret door after it's revealed so it looks more like it's part of the wall?

nijineko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, good idea for revealing hidden doors.

I'm looking for a method to make a section of wall (tiles) to change into an opening that matches the other openings (wall plus floor tiles), ergo a hidden passageway. Animation would be nice, but is optional at this stage.

On a related subject, anyone have door animations that are three tiles high and one tile wide?

nijineko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, here's the sequence in my head, after thinking about it for a while, and trying and failing to figure out how to make terrain tiles selectively passable for players via an event... I'm trying to keep it simple:
  • Player casts a magic skill designed to find hidden doors/passageways
  • Certain wall tiles change to floor tiles for the duration of the magic skill.
  • -or- place a "glow" animation over the now passable tiles and use some event mechanism to turn on the THROUGH function on the player, while controlling where they can go.
*Update*

Okay, I've finally figured out a way to use the THROUGH function. However, it isn't quite behaving as I expected. I'm trying to get the part where the character simply walks through the wall, however, my event is blocking the player from passing over the tile where the event is positioned?

◆If:Player is facing Left
◆Set Movement Route:Player (Wait)
: :◇Through ON
: :◇1 Step Forward
: :◇Through OFF

:Else

:End
This results in the player being able to enter the tile, and then pass through the wall, and turns off the THROUGH correctly, but only if they are facing left. If I try to pass over the event from the bottom or top, the player is blocked from moving.

How can I resolve this, please?

**UPDATE**

Also, if I check the THROUGH checkbox on the event, it no longer interacts with the player, and doesn't trigger at all.

Thus far, all attempts at allowing them to walk up and down have failed either doing nothing or freezing the game entirely.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Love it when someone confuses "RPG Maker (or script/plugin) has a bug" with "I didn't set it up right and it's not working as I want (or gives an error)"
Is animation really as hard as I think it is?
Out of sudden, snow. Everywhere.
Blech. I hate coming up with stories. Making gameplay is fun but coming up with lore and reasons for these areas/mechanics just makes me sleepy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YukiYuki