Suggestions for the next RPG Maker

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by iLurota, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iLurota

iLurota Script Noob :P Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hey everyone, I was thinking about some new features which should be added to the next RPG Maker

So I made a list of those things:

Edit: Shingamix has kindly compiled all the suggestions into a single list. You can find it here. Shaz

--> Firstly I think some Plugins/Extensions would be better than Scripts

(For Example a Custom Battle System needs some script calls to be configured through the game (For example XAS), so wouldn't it

be better if the plugin provides a new Tab in the Event Command window with easy button options instead of doing some

rly complicated script calls)

--> Tiles are supposed to be like 8x8 (for example) instead of 32x32

(Which would make the mapping quality almost same as the Parallax mapping which is complicated and it also

gives the player a bit freedom)

--> An easier way to edit the windows, bars, graphics, HUD's etc...

(Easily by dragging, or changing the position, size, color of the bar, menu, windows, Hud's with your mouse instead of scripts)

--> Bigger Resolutions

(Enough Said)

--> More Battle System's, Choice of choosing your battle system and Editing them

(For Example: Standard battle system, Tactical battle system (Dofus, Wakfu), Action Battle System (XAS, BlizzABS..),

Turn-Based Battle System (Atelier Iris Series and many others), but by having an option to set where the battles will be,

how the battle will flow, setting the HUD...)

--> Better Graphic Settings

(Setting an animation in .avi where you want (Map, HUD, Menu ...) , Graphic zoom, Filters ... , Extended movement pictures

on Charsets ...)

--> Option of making easy Systems like Synthetis system, Skill Upgrade System, Minigames etc.

(With an editor which is used for making windows, puting pictures and making commands for this, something

like visual scripting (Example: Kismet for Unreal Engine))

--> Mouse and Keyboard controls

(Examples: Writing a Journal in the game with the keyboard, Making desicions with mouse or moving with it, or if using

Action battle system using WASD to move, 12345.. as hotkeys, and Mouse for Choosing a target)

--> Better message system which (if wanted) doesnt wait for the player to click so it will get to the next message, and

also some better Windowskin Settings Which should allow the maker to customize his window

--> Making an option to set the Controls of every button on keyboard

--> More playable formats of movies

So that's it, can anyone give any more "Suggestions" [​IMG] ??

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
  2. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

Moved to program and utility discussion. :)

3. Lato

Lato Infantry for life. Member

First Language:
    English
    Yeah don't make it $90, I dont care what it can or cant do, just dont make it $90 or anywhere near that much lol.

Geekman likes this.
  4. Shiro

Shiro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Actually with everything iLurota mentioned (which would be pretty awesome) id say your looking at a price tag well over $100.

5. EvilEagles

EvilEagles Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Or it could be extendable :p the more you pay, the more built-in functions you have :p but maybe I'm just daydreaming.

6. Rief

Rief Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Make the RPGMaker VX Ace with at least three layers in mapping, like the 2k/3 had, that would be enough for me

Well, more layers, like 5 or so, would be even better

QuizicalGin likes this.
  7. Lato

Lato Infantry for life. Member

First Language:
    English
    There daydreaming if they think im gonna pay $90 for Ace lol. Like I said unless I win the lottery or get alot of commissions Im not buying Ace.

8. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    (Posting as a user)

1. I actually prefer scripts than plug-ins. At least you can script anything you want/ask and hope a kind soul is out there, instead of waiting for plug-ins.

2. 32x32 is actually industry standard size for tiles. We have HUGE resolutions now. If you want to make it smaller, go with 16x16. Overall I think RPGMaker should go the IGM route, changeable resolutions. Make us pick if we want 16x16/32x32/64x64 etc. tiles.

3. While we're at this, please return the autotile format the same as XP so we can make curved corners easier.

4. Battle systems are iffy, I like the DBS VXace has right now. If by anything, TP needs to have better control. The more features it has, the harder it is for the users to customize them.

Synthesis and stuffs are something users should do as they get better with the program...

The reason that keyboard and mouse things aren't really viable is that RPG Maker support gamepads and people use this!

You mean auto-play? Not sure if do want. Windowskins should be something you can easily do in GIMP/Paint.NET/Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro/Image Editing Program here. At least they allowed you to change the colors of the gradient of the Windowskin easily now instead of changing the hue and saturation through an outside program.

I agree and disagree with more formats for movies, but .ogv isn't that bad at all. Since the goal is less filesize as much as possible. There are converters for .ogv too that are pretty good and free!

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
    cybrim, Shinma, Oriceles and 3 others like this.
  9. Nemoide

Nemoide Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    An option for widescreen monitor support when playing the game.

The ability to export the game to a wide variety of platforms (which I heard is a feature currently in the works).

Other than those issues, I feel like Ace is pretty great.

Oriceles likes this.
  10. PK8

PK8 I sense there's something in the wind... Veteran

--> Firstly I think some Plugins/Extensions would be better than Scripts

I would like to see this. I mean let's say if there was an extension made for a first-person view labyrinth script. I would love to see entire GUIs made that could be imported into the program so those labyrinth maps can be easily customized.

--> Tiles are supposed to be like 8x8 (for example) instead of 32x32

I'm with Archeia on this. I'd like to see them go the IGM route.

--> An easier way to edit the windows, bars, graphics, HUD's etc...

Pictures and variables are your friends.

--> Bigger Resolutions

That would be nice.

--> More Battle System's, Choice of choosing your battle system and Editing them

No, that would just complicate and bloat this next hypothetical RPG Maker and make it difficult to learn.

--> Better Graphic Settings

You can accomplish that through putting in a little bit of elbow grease with scripting.

--> Option of making easy Systems like Synthetis system, Skill Upgrade System, Minigames etc.

Again, that would complicate RPG Maker and that would really ruin the fun involved in coming up with and building your own minigames or systems.

--> Mouse and Keyboard controls

I remember RPG Maker 95 having mouse support. Not too sure about keys. I'd like to see mouse/keyboard, but only if options are provided to turn them off.

--> Better message system which (if wanted) doesnt wait for the player to click so it will get to the next message, and

also some better Windowskin Settings Which should allow the maker to customize his window

Scripts can accomplish this. In fact, my Composite Windowskins script does the job.

--> Making an option to set the Controls of every button on keyboard

That would be nice. Then again, you could always set up your own keys by changing every input in the script editor.

--> More playable formats of movies

Agreed.

I just want to see the return of event searching, RPG Maker XP's mapping, and setting up priorities.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  11. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    The problem with the plug-ins and patches is you'd wind up in the same boat going on with RM2K3. They're considered a breach of the EULA by Enterbrain and therefore illegal. Which is why, if RM2K3 was ever legal, a lot of people had stated they won't buy it, because they couldn't legally use the current patches or plug-ins.

Anyways, what I would like to see:

A Better Mapping System:

Personally, I'd like to keep the 32x32 tileset, but the mapping grid should be quartered (8x8?) so you can easily move your pieces around 1/4th, 1/2, or 1 full tile.

The way it is now, let's say I create a wall and then decide to place a table against that wall. Unless I'm parallaxing, I either have to draw my table right underneath the back wall, which gives it the impression that it's not really up against the wall, or I have to draw the table completely over the wall, which would look very awkward. However, if the mapping grid was quartered, this could easily be solved.

In addition to that, sprites should be made at 1 and 1/2 tilesets (similar to Mack). This way they look better than the 1 tile chibi set VX is accustomed to, but not so awkwardly tall as the 2-tile XP set. Imagine the possibilities if you have a 1 and 1/2 tile sprite able to move a quarter of a tile at a time? You can have sprites that look as if they are litterally up against a wall, unlike now, with a more realistic style to their walking ability. So...

By taking a 32x32 grid and quartering it off, you can now set events almost anywhere you'd like, which may wind up being better than parallaxing. Why? Because while parallaxing allows you to do a lot of what I suggested above (since you can set the grid however way you'd like), events must still be done in 32x32 size.

Maybe I'm dreaming, or maybe I'm just thinking too positive, but for me one of the weakest parts of the RM series is how they handle the mapping capabilities. If they could truly design a system like this, you'd almost make parallaxing a thing of the past, with the exception that parallax mapping still offers unlimited layers.

Some Other Minor Things (Most of which can be done with scripts, now):

**Event Collision, for when one event touches another.

**Additional Layer for B-E. The best way I can see this being used is as follows: Right now, I create a floor (1st layer), a table (2nd layer), and then event a book over that table (3rd layer). Within the book event, I want to add an item (say $100 cash). I can do that without any problems. However, if I want to alert the player that something is hidden in that book, say with a shining star, I can't do this, because I'm already showing the book as an event. So I either have to leave the shining star out, or I have to create the same book with a star over it in Photoshop, or try some insane method of having two graphical events over the same coordinates at the same exact time, which I don't think is possible. However, if the user can decide that B-E is on a 2nd or 3rd layer, with events as a 4th, this problem is easily solved.

**True Dual Capability, so a character can have 2 weapons, 2 shields, or 1 of each.

**Ability to create down sprites in the character generator.

**Actor designated items, similar to 2K and 2K3. In other words, you can decide which Actor can use certain items.

Oddball, Allusion, gcook725 and 4 others like this.
  12. Nemau

Nemau Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    For the next RPG Maker, please, think about people who don't care about scripts (I don't want to learn a real programming language), and so: please, bring back all events options (commands) from RPG Maker 2000/2003! For this point VX Ace is really better than the first VX, but some important things are still missing, like the "wait until a key is pressed" for the pressed buttons commands option.

I'm french, sorry for my -eternal- bad english. ;_;

q8fft3, QuizicalGin and byronclaude like this.
  13. Mewens

Mewens Veteran Veteran

I'm still getting my hands around Ace and scripting in general -- 0 past experience -- but I'm baffled at some of the eventing choices that aren't in Ace. (Don't get me wrong, the program's great. It's just not perfect.) For example, strictly with eventing, there's ...

*Limited ways to control TP generation.

*No fine control for experience curves.

*No "Target All" or "Target X Allies at Random" choices for skills.

*No way to trigger events based on enemy deaths. (I suspect this is an oversight, since the tooltips give explicit instructions on how to do this -- only the checkbox to enable it doesn't exist.)

*Limited options to tailor Attack and Guard. (Shouldn't each actor get his/her/its/their own Attack and Guard, seeing how they're required?)

I know that these are things that can be fixed with scripting -- some trivially -- but they strike me as fairly basic things that the eventing system ought to be able to handle without any scripting. Compare MP to TP -- with eventing and the database alone, designers have precise control over how much MP is used and how it's regenerated. However, to change something as basic as starting TP, they have to dig into the Battler class and change a line of code.

Of course, none of that's a dealbreaker, and dedicated new folks can suss out / write scripts to fix this stuff without too much trouble. It'd just be nice to have it built-in.

I've also got to second earlier posts about the mapping system -- having a subdivided tile system would make maps feel a lot more organic without requiring too much legwork. Aesthetes will still use parallax mapping to perfect their game, of course, but having just a -little- more control at the "wide-eyed child" stage of playing with the game wouldn't hurt anyone.

14. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @ amerk

[​IMG]

Macro images aside, that is a good idea to incentive against the current map editor. I would actually love to see that. Your suggestion about the grid is <3 worthy. Although, I think we forgot one thing though, how will this affect move events? It would be nice if we have an option to fully control your movement of the grid just in case for those pesky passabilities the mapping had.

*goes on yadda yadda*

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2012
    QuizicalGin likes this.
  15. crimcrim

crimcrim :d Veteran

First Language:
    English
    With all of those features expecting something that's not in the $150-$200 is pointless.

i'll put my ideas in i guess

RPG MAKER VX ACE 3D

16. Wolfie

Wolfie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd buy that

17. randomuser

randomuser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    edit

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2013
    cybrim likes this.
  18. Evan G.

Evan G. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The price of a program has nothing to do with its features. (Photoshop = $1000 more than GIMP because of a slightly more comprehensive filter gallery and extremely limited 3D options.) The price of a program is whatever people are willing to pay for it... which is a lot, if the responses to this topic are any indication. In fact, it's not just a lot. It's too much.

What I'm trying to say is, its customer feedback like this that leads to people who have actual financial limitations failing to buy a product. $90 is the most that any piece of software should cost, and Serif (http://www.serif.com/) does a good job of proving that point.

So, please, Enterbrain, don't make the next RPG Maker any more than $90. IG Maker being $40 more than the competing (and established) Game Maker 8 was pushing it, and $120 RPG Maker 78 (I guess that would be the title, right?) would drive away a lot of customers.

As for features in the next RPG Maker:

-Some kind of 3D support, even if it's really basic 3D like Game Maker's. At least allow us to import scenes and models to use in place of maps and sprites.

-Side-View battle system support. I should be allowed to use spritesheets if I want to without needing an external script. Just make it like RPG Tsukuru 4's system, except without the lack of "approaching enemy" and "withdrawing from enemy" poses. I never liked the whole "character hovers along the ground toward enemy and then attacks" thing.

-Several types of shadow pen. Include shadows with fuzzy edges and maybe built-in lighting effects with a "highlight pen."

-Better support for large facesets. The 96x96 limit was really unnecessary and having to use the "Picture" event code every time I want to display a large face graphic is cumbersome at best.

-Fix the lack of "On Enemy Death" or "On Battle Victory/Loss" conditions in the battle event editor.

-Bring back those Fog Effects from XP.

EDIT: Some posts were made while I was typing mine, and I just have to make the following comment:

3D does not a $200 program make, everybody. Geri's Maker3D and RPG Builder 3D are $8 and FREE, respectively. (Both are 3D RPG Maker software. The latter is incomplete ATM.) Even Game Maker 8 with 3D functionality is only $20. Also, Blender. Honestly, you guys are making it too easy for the gaming industry to overcharge its fanbase. I mean, you're actually asking them to treat you like a cash cow with these posts.

Please, Enterbrain, and please, Degica, don't start giving us the Arcsys/EA/Capcom treatment. Just please, dont.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2012
    cybrim and Oriceles like this.
  19. randomuser

randomuser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    edit

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2013
    Oriceles likes this.
  20. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    No 3D. Keep RPG Maker 2D. If you want to make 3D games, just use Unity and learn some C# or Javascript. (3D opens a whole can of worms and there are currently very competent makers that allow this). For the next RPG Maker, keep with the 2D theme. Currently the RPG Maker series with basic settings can re-create Final Fantasy NES-SNES era style games and Dragon Quest.

As for future features, I'd suggest:

1) An easier method of creating menus, or some tutorials available that help us create custom menu options (How to display information, how to create a new window, how to link it to the list of menus in the main menu, etc).

2) XP style sprites/titles (I miss me some tall detailed characters, the chibi is nice, but I miss the tall ones).

3) Built in animated battlers (for the front view system).

4) Built in customization of the title menu. (Options, Credits, Bonus Menus, etc.)

Essentially, look to the most popular scripts and include them in the next maker so they're built in.

PK8, Allusion, cybrim and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.