Suggestions for the next RPG Maker

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by iLurota, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw817

dw817 ◈ Senior Games Programmer ◈ Veteran

First Language:
    English
     Is there a CTRL-Key or combination that immediately marks where the event cursor is as the starting place of the player ?

Actually I forgot to mention that this goes hand-in-hand with a new script command, INTERRUPT, which will freeze the game right there and then and enter the calculator. Or, provided you are not playing a compiled game, you can press CTRL-B or some key equivalent to STOP the game right there.

From here you enter the RM calculator and you can either return back to playing the game (with the ability to have previously changed values entered from the RM calculator/variable manager additionally), hp("jackie")=1000 or exit from here back to the editor.

I am looking at the Move Route in RMVXA-Trial and not seeing a command equivalent for Quad ?

Looking at VX's message box, I can see that you are correct, it wouldn't look right to put commands in there. But I can see immediately that the Preview window should not be forced to close in order to add text but the preview pane could be updated automatically, viewed above as text is added to the input field below that.

Suggest that when you type out a \(command), like "i" for icon, that after you type the "[" the cursor changes to show "?" that if you press SPACEBAR or ENTER here, a new window will pop up so you can select that particular icon visually from a table, using either the mouse or arrow keys followed by the ENTER key.

Also ability to stack commands in the VX Message Box so this, \i[v[1]] would yield correct results.

BTW, I appreciate your feedback as I am just learning the VX system ! Please review with your opinions on the 3 prior to this ! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
  2. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
     Don't think so.

No, but you might be able to get it done with something like thishttp://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/3456-developer-console/

You can write additional move commands and use script calls to call them.Writing a quad command would not be difficult and calling it would be really simple as well.

Check out this script: it provides several move commands (not a quad, but someone else wrote one I think)

http://galveraxe.wordpress.com/2013/03/11/move-route-extras/

That would be convenient.
    It does
    Code:
    \i[\v[1]]

3. dw817

First Language:
    English
    Ratzy.

Script, and looks rather complex too. Gotta admit it's nice that users have written all kinds of work-arounds for VX to facilitate their needs. I don't know anything about Rubyscript so likely that's a language I should maybe try and learn as it appears prevalent for RMs.

I'm using the demo version of VX and cannot edit or insert Scripts. Question, can new commands be added so when you press ENTER on the "@>" you can have a 4th page of user-defined functions for noobs like me, possibly imported ?

Or the ability to add new sub-steps to existing script commands, like set move route (2nd page), Quad with choice of arrows. If not - once again - another suggestion possibility.

Oof ! I forgot that extra "\" ! :)

4. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    You use a script call command.

Easiest way to provide user-defined functions is to write a script for it. I think the existing solution is flexible enough.

The versions that don't expose the scripting interface seriously limit the power of RM, since a lot of simple calls can piggyback the existing commands to make it much more powerful.

5. dw817

First Language:
    English
    Actually, I have a problem - maybe you can help ? [Link]

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please do not cross-post requests for help in unrelated topics. Thank you.

dw817 likes this.
  7. dw817

First Language:
    English
    Apologies, Shaz. I suppose that is completely off-topic then, the problem I am having. Let me rephrase that. On the line of suggestions for the next RPG Maker: That the future installer be thoroughly tested for all PC computer platforms and not crash during installation on the user's side. I would call that a definite positive attribute and one that Enterbrain and all future members and customers can surely benefit from.

And that the staff be more conscientious of the users need. Their purpose is to encourage the sale of a RM to the public. They cannot do this if they do not help others get the trial versions to work for their PC platform so it can be examined and the commercial version considered for purchase.

And I will admit - that may not an easy thing to do. It takes hard work and perseverance to check out multiple computer platforms for compatibility and ease of installation and to answer user questions about installation difficulties.

I've been there myself in my own projects.

I can't give any more suggestions in here until the product I am having difficulties installing can be examined.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
  8. dw817

First Language:
    English
    Provided I can bring up the program for examination, I will consider purchasing the version you mention that permits advanced scripting. And no, no more suggestions until I can actually get the RMVXAL to work.

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As a developer of commercial games and other software, I can tell you that it is just impossible to guarantee that a program will run on every platform. There are just so many combinations out there, and that's WITHOUT considering the people who build their own.

Also, please do not double post, as it's against the forum rules. You can either use the edit button to add more content, or use the MultiQuote button to quote several people's posts in a single reply.

10. dw817

First Language:
    English
    I am just now becoming aware you can make more than one reply to an individual in a post. I addressed you on a different page regarding this. Most Forums do not permit this. Usually replying to a different person is not considered double-posting. You are saying it is so I will abide by your law and endeavor to cram all my replies in one post.

As for the offer of help, I am still without.

11. Evan G.

Evan G. Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Here's a pretty basic suggestion: Make more conditions able to trigger a common event. Just switches is unnecessarily limiting, and adding more conditions would make the feature much more powerful.

Shaz likes this.
  12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd like to see a "Script" box in the conditions for an event (and maybe even for common events, extending Evan G's suggestion) so you can add whatever conditions you want instead of relying just on what's already provided, or adding extra scripts to cater for other conditions.

13. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    I would prefer if they had a listbox for page conditions, so you can choose which conditions you want to add.

It would be similar to how features and effects are listboxes and you just pick what you want.

14. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    But even with features and effects, there are things people want that just aren't there, and they have to resort to script workarounds. Adding a script box to the Conditional Branch was great - the same thing on page conditions would be just about perfect :)

15. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    What I mean is instead of having like fixed fields for the page conditions, we can choose what fields we want.

Compare Ace's feature/effects design to VX's equivalent "add state" and "weapon element" window: they did basically the same thing, except Ace does not require half a window to draw two features.

So my idea of page conditions would be a listbox similar to how features/effects are done, where you add page conditions. These could be switches, variables, self-switches, actors, items, and even script boxes. But the important thing is that we are able to choose how many conditions we want (instead of two switches, we might have five).

Evan G. and Shaz like this.
  16. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Something I've only recently given a lot of thought is the layering. While I thought some of the layering in RMXP was a bit much to comprehend, and difficult at times for newbies, some form of layering (even in a basic form) is still very desirable.

Right now, you can't work on one layer without effecting all the layers above or below, and things like dirt, walking stones, and even counters should be handled separately from the ground (grass, desert, carpet) layers.

Here is an idea for keeping the same user friendly atmosphere of VX and Ace, while still making auto tiles more versatile and easier to work with:

A1 = Ground Layer 1: water, lava, grass, snow, desert, flooring, carpet.

A2 = Ground Layer 2: weeds, counters, side walks, dirt paths, walking stones, cracks for the floor, holes, stone steps

A3 = Above Ground Layer: interior and exterior walls, cliff walls, dungeon walls, forest tree trunks, fence posts, world map pieces (such as mountains and forests of varying design). Water fall tiles that match the water of A1 would also probably fit better here, or perhaps waterfalls can be animated through events instead.

A4 = Overhead: roofs, ceilings, cliff tops, dungeon ceilings, forest tree tops.

B-E = Tentatively considered a fifth layer, however add-on tiles can be applied over any of the auto tiles.

Events = 6th layer. Maybe start allowing for auto tiles to be included in the event layering?

The one thing I thought about (and mentined before) is passability settings. It would be nice to have an add-on button like we have for regions where we can paint our map with passability.

The basic idea would work like this: In the database, we set up our default passability for our tilesets. However, there's always that one area on the map that we want to behave differently, and that's where the "Passability Button" would come in place. You click on it to turn it on or off, and you can elect for 4 possible options:

X = Non-passable, O = Passable, Star = Above the Player, and Dot = Database Setting.

When you click on the button, each tile in the map is a dot, meaning its tied to whatever you have set up in the database. When you click the dot for any given map tile, it will toggle between any of the above options each time it's clicked, and override whatever you have in the database for any setting that is not a dot. Perfect for when you want your player to move under a portion of an auto tile, but not the entire auto tile, or when you want to include a hidden pathway without having to customize the tileset to a new layer.

And finally, a way to turn off auto shadows completely so that you can paint them in yourself with the shadow pen.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  17. Gomi Boy

Gomi Boy   Veteran

First Language:
    the truth
    What about the layering in RMXP is too much to comprehend? What the hell are you used to in a product?

The simplest and most versatile option is to let people paint any tile on any layer. It's as simple as that.

slimmmeiske2, Travatar and Sailerius like this.
  18. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    When I first started working RM, I had no idea how layering worked, and so yes, XP was a bit difficult for me, as I'm sure it is for others. That's why I've been using VX and now Ace. Of course, now that I've had plenty of practice with both VX, Ace, and Photoshop, I have a better idea with working with layers. I still like the structure of VX and Ace over XP, though, which is why I have stayed with these two programs.

As for what I am used to and want in a product, I think I laid it out pretty clear. Break up the auto tiles into separate layers, add mapping passability functions, and an option to completely remove the shadows.

As for unlimited layers, we all know how versatile that would be, however, I don't see that ever happening if RM keeps to their standard design. Maybe if they were to incorporate a sort of in-editor parallax option, but even then I doubt they'd give unlimited layering. At the very least, I'd like for them to break up the auto tiles into separate layers, and either make tabs B - E each their own layer, or at minimum a separate layer from the auto tiles.

19. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    Auto-shadows are created automatically but you can remove them with the shadow pen.

20. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    Right, I understand that, I just wondered about having auto shadows not included automatically. But there is a script that does this already I believe, so it's not a major issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.