Suggestions for the next RPG Maker

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by iLurota, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Oh well it is not that vital anyway. SCII's editor definitely is hard for E8500 processors everytime it wants to refresh a long event list for example.

Processors are so powerful nowadays with i7 and stuff that it is surprising that something like that still is so demanding.

2. Abi

Abi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah...  this is a common misunderstanding of just what the "demand" is.  It's bandwidth demand that's so hard to fill for these kinds of tasks.  As in memory.  And yes, the POTENTIAL power is there to greatly minimize the time that takes...  the technology certainly exists to provide ridiculous amounts of memory bandwidth to databases...  The trouble is that most machines are not designed with memory bandwidth in mind...  so it becomes a bottleneck on most machines.  Only machines designed to the task, or machines designed to be all around balanced, won't find a major bottleneck with databasing tasks.  And machines that are designed for overall balance tend to be underpowered overall because of cost factors...  Only with a truly unlimited budget could a truly powerful machine be built that could handle ANY task put before it with ease.

And...  TBH...  Most people are running underpowered machines with absolutely horrid design...  No sense of balance to the components at ALL!  You've gotta build your own and actually know what you're doing to get out of that trap.  Unfortunately...  Software has to be written for what most people are using, so the actualized benefit of actually running a balanced machine is minimal under most circumstances.  And we also don't get to have nice things like what you just asked for...

3. OreSama

OreSama Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I actually have one that I haven't seen suggested yet!  I think it would be nice if we could specify the BGM for specific areas of a map, so for instance, have the BGM change depending on where you are on the world map.  Also, there is not enough space for character and item descriptions.  I cannot fit my full character descriptions in VX Ace, and it's really annoying me.

sanspants likes this.
  4. hiromu656

hiromu656 Praise the Sun (Arcana) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think you can use Terrain Tags to change the BGM according to where you are. Implementing a menu system that held data for all the different BGMs you wanted for a single map would probably take up a lot of unnecessary space.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A fade-in command for BGM and BGS.

ShinGamix and light487 like this.
  6. light487

light487 Parrot Keeper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    In addition to this, proximity based BGS (and BGM for that matter) would be advantageous. I did locate a script that will do this for BGS but it'd be nice if you could set a BGS to an event and creep the volume up as you get closer to it with the ability to set the radius at which the sound starts to be heard... this would probably require multiple channels etc.. so something for the next version. Think of a BGS that is playing for the all the jungle/forest sounds but then as you approach a waterfall, the sound of that waterfall starts to play along with the existing "global" jungle/forest BGS

Shaz likes this.
  7. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    I've said it before, but with the sudden postings about BGM's, I believe it warrants saying again.

Being able to dictate event functionality based upon the completion of a BGM, without having to insert a bunch of wait commands and estimate when the track will end. Examples where this could be good:

**  for cutscenes, such as where you want the BGM to end before the player is transferred to another map.

**  for battles, where you want a BGM to pick up when one ends.

8. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Maps consisting of hexacons instead of squares. 

9. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've never seen the appeal to hexagonal tiles. Are they any better than squares?

10. hiromu656

hiromu656 Praise the Sun (Arcana) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm assuming a hexagon would also provide diagonal views and such, so that does seem like a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  11. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You could have diagonal view with square tiles as well.

Just because you have different shaped tiles does not mean the game automatically comes with different views, scripts, and sprites to complement those views.

You would just have hexagon tiles instead of squares.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The main reason for hexagonal maps (especially in the case of strategy games) is a more realistical move/movecost system (in a regular grid system there is always the difference in distance on diagonal movement compared to horizontal/vertical movement). Because of this, strategic game maps in non-computer-games (board games, table tops etc) often use this.

The main reason why many computer games go to regular grids (sometimes even if previous versions did have hexagonal maps) is because it's a lot more work to make hexagonal maps on the computer than it looks like to the player. Most of the time even a free pixel movement would be easier to implement than a hexagonal grid and sprite collision on it...

13. Travatar

Travatar Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell. Veteran

Brought to you by Florida: The original creators o
    First Language:
    English
    Speaking of BGM, being able to override the battle BGM without scripting would be nice, at least for event-based battles where you just want the BGM from the map to continue.

Also, while it's possible to do a different BGM for each tropp a la' EarthBound, the only way I've found is to have a battle event take place that specifies that music. Unfortunately, any time I do this, it results in a delay until the first battle command is picked. It would be cool if the option existed as part of the troop's settings instead, so that it would just play that battle theme on transition without an event delay.

14. Grotaiche

Grotaiche Warper Member

First Language:
    French
    Being able to control the volume of the BGM (via scripting or eventing or whatever) would be great for scenes with voices. For example, I would tone down the music during a conversation then reset the volume back to normal once the conversation is over.

15. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    You can easily do that with a simple event now too.

16. Grotaiche

Grotaiche Warper Member

First Language:
    French
    I'd be happy if you could tell me how (maybe using a PM so we don't go off-topic too much ? Or I can create a topic too) :)

17. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Just use same command. If music does not change, it does not get interrupted but volume will still change to what you specify.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
  18. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Unlimited layers for the map... and possibly, being able to place some tiles more freely (like moving upper layer tiles in a 16x16 or 8x8 manner rather than the default)

19. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Unlimited layers sounds good, or at least something more flexible, I don't see much need to go past 5. But who knows?

20. Taien

Taien Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Event move to Event!!! With logic to detect blockages.

Set Level Numbers past the current limit, so we can directly change how many levels and what they cost.

Side or Front Battlers as a standard option.

More Max Events/Maps as standard, for larger games.

Large Sprite Support, so heads don't get cut off.

(I am aware all this is possible anyway with custom scripts, hence why they are popular.)

Update the character generator to A, have more options and B, To a have a larger sprite option.

I'd pay anything up to 500 dollars for utility myself, but expect greater dev support/feedback if I did. Without that 200-300 myself seems reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.