ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Reynard Frost It was limited because it was a ps2 not a pc but it was still a great product for the PS2's limitations. I like the way that the 3D of RPG Maker 2 still felt like a 2D game. I still want a pc version of it with an import feature and scripting. I would pay $90+ dollars for that.

@Crimson "3D glasses" Just like the now extra nine months we have to wait for GI Joe 2! Now instead of next month it will be nine more months until it is released because the studio wants to add 3d to it. 3D glasses can (edited out by user before posted). ANime ANime..AniME!

@ThallionDarkshine The tall XP style is usually refereed to as "Mack style"and the vx/ace smaller ones are refereed to as "chiba style" to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:

AstoXx

Subconscious Punmaster
Reaction score
First Language
Logic
Primarily Uses
The return of the 3rd layer. We need moar layers! Any more than 3 is kinda pushing it, though... if you want extremely complex maps, just take the 5 minutes out from your day to learn how to parralax, then you're dandy. (Admittedly, doing the ACTUAL parralaxing takes hella longer, but still)

Enhanced keyboard support would be extremely welcome and maybe built-in mouse support, too for making TBS's easier... or even allow crafting of RTS's!

Another cool thing would be ,like, a choice of RTP's to use. Standard fantasy, of course but also offical, on-release sci-fi/modern resources! YAY!

Apart from that, nothing really NEEDS to be changed, and honestly the next actual Maker will probably have RGSS4, which will make scripting even more crazy.

Azurecyan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I think the 3D idea would be great, though it would be slightly more time consuming to create a decent game...probably, but i think it's well worth it if in 3D.

But future features that I would suggest are:

Allow more flexibility with animations

i.e. allow, when creating animations, to have the option of having the animation play behind the monsters, or sprites,

I've always needed a piece of the animations to be played behind a character, instead of having it all play in front of the characters. Oh and allow the use of pictures behind

sprites and monsters

More layers and passability options for maps

I think it would be nice if the maps had more layers, like going behind roofs and cliffs, archs, etc. I parallax my maps, but I think it would be nice to have more

flexibility to maps, whereas parallaxing and scripting for more layers is more time consuming.

and as many others said before which i like in previous posts

Hendrik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
I would like to see a way to extend the maker from itself aswell.

Like you can create a own button for an event.

Example:

new_cmd.png
Im also for make this script window, more like a real editor with directories and files.

And surely maybe a way to update ruby version, not having a stripped version of it aswell.

Reynard Frost

Designer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Every event has its own switch in Ace, is that what you mean?

Safebox

8 People - 1 Name
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
We need more event layers just as there are map layers (parallax, map such as A1-A5, details such as B-E)

Hendrik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Every event has its own switch in Ace, is that what you mean?
Thats also a nice idea, but what i was trying to say was like you can create own event commands. But as plugin of course and not specific for one game instance.

Imagine the flexibility...

AND surely its another Idea for Enterbrain to make money through additions meanwhile they create the next maker version!

Of course it had to be backwards compatible the plugins.

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
I suggest that Enterbrain make another RPG Maker! I bet they will. I give it two years.

Evan G.

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Except that wasn't Degica, that was Agetec for consoles and it was INCREDIBLY limited. If you want Ace potential with 3D, it will cost a lot. Also, making assets for 3D and using a 3D editor is far more complicated than using a 2D editor. Besides, the 3D Game Maker market on PC is covered. 2D is where it's at for RPG Maker. (And 2D RPGs are way better anyway). If you go to a 3D maker, unless you're pumping out FFXIII models, don't even bother. 2D Makers on the other hand, it's not as difficult to make good looking assets.
Actually it was the most feature-rich of the console RPG Makers, so much so that it's massive load of obscure and complex features was one of the reasons why it didn't sell. It was actually about as functional as VX Ace, just extremely non-user-friendly and cumbersome. It was even possible to make custom 3D models with it (although they were really just bundles of visual effects), and I evented together a fully functional FPS with it in 3 days. And yes, there were guns.

Also, I've used 3D editing software before, and, while it can be complicated when it comes to lighting and effects, it isn't that much more difficult than 2D software. Animation, for example, is a lot easier and less costly in 3D. Being a decent artist; however, is a requirement. A 3D PC RPG Maker is very possible to make both feature-rich and functional, is what I'm saying. The only problem I can see for it is that most people don't have PCs that can handle highly complex 3D without slowdown or crashes and that the filesize of a finished project might be huge, so there would be less game-trading and sales in general for it.

I think you might have been thinking of RPG Maker 3, which was extremely limiting, to the point that it wouldn't allow you to do things like change the regular battle music.

As far as a 3D editor goes, though, the feature breakdown would probably have to be something like this:

Outside Editor:

-3D Models

-Textures

-Animations

In-Engine:

-Lighting effects

-Particle effects

-Scenes (as opposed to the mapping system)

-Actors

-Collision detection

-Allocation of animations to standard RPG tasks (Walking, Item use, Fleeing, Defending, Spell-casting, Jumping, etc.)

3D Specific Event Commands:

-Show animation (Shows a custom animation for the specified Player Character or Event)

-Change texture (Swaps textures on the specified for other custom textures)

-Move to point (Draw a path with a mouse/tablet through the scene on which you want the specified to move and specify the movement speed. U and D keys control elevation)

-Change default animation (Change a model's standard animations to other custom animations)

-Standard camera control functions

-Lighting control (Move and modify light sources around the scene)

-Show effect (Self explanatory)

-Change animation speed (Add a modifier to all animation speeds for the specified)

I think that's all the really basic stuff.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I mean the characters. They look way too small. I liked the rmxp style ones so much better.
... Then use the RMXP style ones. RMVX/Ace sprite size is dynamic, its based on the proportional size of the sprite sheet. You could make a 64x128 sprite if you wanted to...

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I would like a Shining Force-maker personally.

That would be a revolutionary change and would breath a new life on the RM and Indie RPG scene.

iLurota

Script Noob :P
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
-Sorry for replying this topic after milion years, so:

@Hendrik - That is exactly what I want for the new RPG Maker =D,

@Lemonairable - I agree with all options, It would really be great if there would be 3D "in beta" and the Standard 2D, so you could choose between these two, or even I hope they make two RPG Makers (2D and 3D)

@BigEd781 - Bigger Ressolutions - Well, it's not hard to make sprites if you really want to have bigger resolution and also it doesn't have to be like 1900x1200, it can be a little bigger than usual..

- "Everything you said that scripting can replace other features" - 90% people would not like to do scripting and when I see all those lines and methods, numbers etc. I just wish to close rpg maker forever because I'm sick of waiting for other ppl to release their battle systems, menus, and other features, so I am just asking for more non-script based configuring of rpg maker features...Also I would be happy with visual scripting but I just dont want this "ugly" version of scripting to be an only option.

@ThallionDarkshine - Totaly Agree :/

@Jeneeus Guruman - That is why I would want bigger resolutions (which means more "own made" HQ graphics) because playing the standard resolution of RPG Maker on TV would result some really Sh#%y graphics.

@Rief - Yeah, make it with 5 layers xD

@Nemau - Thank god, there is someone who hates scripting *___*

-Pls "RPG Maker" Makers , don't make us mess with standard scripting, I mean c'mon build something modern in the next RPG Maker like Visual scripting which is normal for 21st century, not some old scripting styles which my grandpa used -.-" .

-Btw, I think name for the next RPG Maker should be "RPG Maker Ultima" xD.

lordsnakeaz

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
Hi to all developers,

from my experance with rpg makers i would choose RPG XP. And even though i found several other game makers with much less restrictions, i still choose RPG maker.

some of my ideas and suggestions:

1. More layers like xp layers (i would suggest up to 5 layers for better complex mapping) it would be the best if there will be limitless layers like several other game makers

2. tileset and autotiles editor and generator (it helps the developer build his own tiles)

3. more events and less limitations (like including the fog weather, weathers aren't just selecting rain,storm,etc... it would be better if given a selection of different weathers and include the import weather too)

4. map generator like the dungeon generator.

5. give different game menus and menu customisations (to help making your own menu insted of using the same menu or scripting a new one)

6. limitless switches, variables, tilesets, characters, more self switches (in complex games it takes too much of these to make it more real)

7. EXECUTABLE GAME EXPORTER (this is the most annoying, you cant just make a game and and to give it to others you have to give the RPT, etc... to make it playable and giving the other users easy access to adjust, change, edit and plunder your resources you worked hard for.)

8. resolution changer/selection (at least give some options for high resolutions and even widescreen support. WHICH COMPUTERS RUNS AT 640x480 NOW A DAYS?!?!? many choose HD 1080p as a standard, and some even up to 1600p)

9. the selection of tileset sizes could be an option to, example 8x8, 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, etc...

10. addons and expantions would help many game developers to import and minimize the restrictions especially in the scripting part

well, wish that my ideas and the ideas of many others are taken into account as usually these are the restrictions many game developers encounter while designing their games.

TO ALL READERS:

Support RPG MAKER, its the easyest best way to create RPGs

Acezon

Om Nom Nom
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I would like to see pixel movement integrated into the next RM where the transparent areas in the tileset would be passable; with better collision system too.

Samven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hrmm... The choice between frontview, sideview or no battlers would be good. I've never really been a fan of VX's battle-less frontview system. It kinda feels like Earthbound-lite. As memorable as that game is for many, I just don't find the battle system to be particularly exciting to watch. Oh, and maybe a option to change the battle system from standard turn-based to ATB, like in the 2003 version. I personally am not an ATB fan but I can see why many people are... Ooh, or maybe an option to use an FFX-style CTB system. Say what you want about the game itself; it had a damn good fighting system.

I'd honestly like to see a new strategy RPG Maker, though. I had loads of fun with Sim RPG Maker 95 but it's oh-so limited. So, roll on SRPGM2012, I say!

SolarGale

Learning
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My only gripe would really be the lack of layers and a lack of passability options

iLurota

Script Noob :P
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@itsacezon - Yeah, I'm tired of 32x32 <_<

@Samven - RM 2003 (From what I have heard) has some preety good non-scripting options of making the gameplay more rich...and I would also like a much more option-expanded CTB, btw FFX is my favorite game "EVER" XD

@SolarGale - Layers in RMVX/VXA Suck :(

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RETURN MAPPING LAYERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Unfortunately, while trying to run an app I needed (curse you, Adobe!), my laptop blacked out, so my data got wiped when I got it repaired. Stuff like facesets are saved in my drive, but my sprites now only exist as screenshots I've taken in the past :kaocry:To be fair, I'm a little relieved, since I've been feeling unsatisfied with the visual style of the character sprites, and I guess I can now revamp them?

after lot's of edits to Mike's attacks (to make it seamless with movement, no EX versions, cost 1-ups), I finally got combo skills to work. had to do a lot moving tho to get the combo list to appear where it is lol. that actually took longer than setting up the moves.
What's kind of amazing is I've been in a developmental rut for the LONGEST time but putting a music mix on of video game soundtracks and specifically hearing the VX Ace music come up and it's nostalgia of me being excited to make my first game has REALLY got me going again!
Finally finished my tiefling!
F222514F-9F32-4B97-88C3-664E8A2134C3.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
siantknight1120