Suggestions for the next RPG Maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Accidental double post due forum seems to be bugged right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

ookami_lord

Best Lemon in the world
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
You can already play midi files. Just copy the one you want into your project's Audio\BGM folder.
Oh really?!

Didn't know that...Only tough that it only played MP3 and OGG!Thanks red mammoth!

@DS Piron:

thanks for sharing the same tough! :)

redbizon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It is kind of weird that the resource maker doesn't let you import midis, considering that the game engine supports them quite well.

I'm not a programming expert or anything, but would a compiler for RPG Maker be possible, or beneficial? I know that Game Maker has a compiler available (pretty pricy, at $300, but it claims to speed up games massively). If Enterbrain makes it an optional feature that costs extra, that would be fine with me.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
What would it compile?

DS Piron

Bystander
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What would it compile?
Based on my research and (limited) prior knowledge: everything.

Like Game Maker, RPG Maker uses an interpreted language. Game Maker's Yo-Yo Compiler interprets/converts GML into C+, and then a native language to the platform of choice, performing optimizations on both steps.

Since RPG Maker seems to run off an interpreted language, the same might be possible. Maybe?

2d_quest

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Text Box Additions

More Formatting Symbols inside Textboxes

-allign: left, right, center

-bold, italisize, underline

Allow Displaying Money Window with only a Choice Box

-the money window only comes up after a non-choice text and while it can display during the choice the preceding text and choice cannot be on different event page to show the money box

-I'd like to be able to show it when a choice comes up without requiring preceding text.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I want to be able to move the portraits on text boxes.  The previous maker I came from let you put them on the right or the left and would let you "mirror" the image so that it would flip to face the opposite direction if it was placed on the right hand side of the text.  It made "conversations" in game seem much more fluid and as if they were standing at opposite sides of each other, even if they really weren't.

Plus, I've always liked games that did that.  If they have portraits for speech, I've always liked them to be on the left to start with, then the person they're talking to on the right, then others could join in on either side depending on who they were agreeing with or talking directly to.  It doesn't seem like much to a player, but the psychological subtlety and cues that are implied by using that method can make conversations and relationships between characters seem much deeper than text or cutscenes alone.

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Erase tool: (two types)

• Layer Erase - erases only things on a specific layer (in VXAce, this would either be the ground layer or second layer).
  • Tileset Erase - erases only items on the map from a chosen tileset.
Clipboard:

• Allows you to copy multiple things (basically saving items you shift+right click to multiple slots for quick and easy retrieval).
Copy Specific Layer or Tileset

• Allows you to Shift+RC from a specific layer or tileset only from the current map.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
by compiling you mean it will compile everything into a single executable file?

or just a compiler/converter for the interpreted language so that it will run faster during gametime? (AFAIK, compiled languages are faster at game time but takes time to compile while interpreted languages are faster at save time since you only save it but slower at game time since it's interpreted then)

@Seita - I think if they implement layers, those will then be possible. :)

redbizon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
by compiling you mean it will compile everything into a single executable file?

or just a compiler/converter for the interpreted language so that it will run faster during gametime? (AFAIK, compiled languages are faster at game time but takes time to compile while interpreted languages are faster at save time since you only save it but slower at game time since it's interpreted then)
The second one.

sbethune81

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A left/right scroll bar on event pages for when conditional nesting runs deep.  I've mentioned this next one before, but I would pay $50 today for a single upgrade to Ace that allowed me to find and replace

variables and switches in event pages.  I often daydream about the tedium this would spare me...

shiori4me

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Making the list of event commands horizontally scrollable.

Sometimes there are so many conditions that things become illegible.

But then, say it isn't always the best to/ you can't/ you don't know the script calls for doing it in one big script

call condition, and even if all is fine, it also becomes a bit less developer-friendly when reviewing and editing.

Oh, wait, heheh, someone just got to that.

Enemy items, equipment, levels, strategies, and add/remove (like how actors can be added and removed and "switched" on the fly without having to hide and reveal them.

I want enemies to be able to do anything an actor can do. 

Ever placed Dissidia Duodecim? That game really ties you with the enemies.

So the only thing you have against them is higher levels (depending on the difficulty) and your human intelligence. 

Smarter enemy approach/avoid movement patterns

When a fish underwater just runs back and forth into a corner, that shows some simplistic AI work.

Objects with a same-or-lower priority as objects on tiles higher are automatically below.

Like a tall person is one tile below a tree or a sprite wider than 32 is to the left of the base of the treeand their head/upperbody doesn't go through the tree.

Like in Earthbound/Mother.

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Enemy items, equipment, levels, strategies, and add/remove (like how actors can be added and removed and "switched" on the fly without having to hide and reveal them.

I want enemies to be able to do anything an actor can do. 

Ever placed Dissidia Duodecim? That game really ties you with the enemies.

So the only thing you have against them is higher levels (depending on the difficulty) and your human intelligence. 
That could be interesting. Being able to set up initial levels and stats for the enemy, and a growth rate, would make it a lot easier to balancing a game. The developer could tailor all enemies based on Level 1 stats, and then set the enemy's appropriate level for when the player is expected to run into them. Mind you, game testing is still a must, but it does help reduce the stress of balancing each stat out, or trying to calculate what the stat should be. It also might make it easier for developing games where the enemy grows with the player.

shiori4me

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's what I already do via Yanfly's levels and set them to level 1 then during specialty fights I have it so they use a move to level up themselves by 1 until they reach a desired level, and have their levels relevant to party level or area level.

But I feel enemy equipment and items are so under-appreciated, even in popular ones like Final Fantasy. (Pokemon has item accessories and Crystal has a script for that but it conflicts with a few scripts)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Why do you need enemy equipments anyway? Any effect an equipment can have can already be just added via features modifying the parameters...

Unless you can have an individual enemy instance have a different equipment per troop (like Slime A on troop 1 has equipment 2 and Slime B of the same troop has equipment 3), the idea of equipments is useless

shiori4me

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Because what if you wanted said things to be affected mid-battle?

Sure, yes, you can use states for such features, but then what's wrong with making it so that enemies can do anything an actor can do?

If I'm running away from, then fighting soldiers, they should be able to move and to fight in an intelligent manner.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh changing equips mid-battle to modify enemy stats, valid reason.

FCU777

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Maybe you could add a system which allows users to insert graphics in events even if they are not on the actual map itself. Like characters for example can go to other maps even if they are not in the map itself.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe you could add a system which allows users to insert graphics in events even if they are not on the actual map itself. Like characters for example can go to other maps even if they are not in the map itself.
The logic behind this thinking is wrong, because events aren't NPCs.
Adding this possibility would add a lot of work AND a lot of problems - for something that can easily be simulated with the current engine, as soon as the developer realises that events are not the same as NPCs. There are a lot of tutorials and even a few blog posts on how to make NPCs appear on different maps.

Believe me, it is easier in the long run NOT to have events move between maps...

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Being able to an event from one map to another MIGHT be nice though. Or, more indirectly, having multiple events, possibly on different maps, reference a single event.

Global switches/variables should be able to handle most cases where event state needs to be preserved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

no, not my duct tape, anything but my duct tape!
I totally didn't forget that I need to make a map for the tourney and totally didn't waste an entire day going through all 5 eps of the wolf among us
Now I noticed that I joined the forum on April's 7. My birthday is April's 8. I purchased RPG Maker as a gift for myself and had forgotten this. :guffaw:
too... many... ideas... can't... edit them down :dizzy:
Don't you love your work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WraithDragon