Not open for further replies.

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Or, more indirectly, having multiple events, possibly on different maps, reference a single event.
Wouldn't Common Events cover this, or am I completely off base here?

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would think that yes, Common Events do cover that.  As well as Switches and Variables...

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Wouldn't Common Events cover this, or am I completely off base here?
Common events would work if you just need the commands.

Map event specific things like graphic, conditions, and other things would be less obvious.

I can't think of any valid use cases off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are several.

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Event pages and switches/self-switches/variables can be used to achieve that

DS Piron

Bystander
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, but then you would have to edit every instance in every map should you need to change something.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
depends on how you planned up things. and it doesn't really make a difference aside from not needing to go to multiple maps... and that is only for the case of if you have more than 1 of that same event

amazonwalrus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I wish they would just go into the current VX Ace and Tweak it up a bit. At Lease Have 2 or 3 different battle engines. Sideview is most peoples preference. And the original. This Yanfly's, Galv's, Victors Animated Battles Scripts takes way to much time and effort to get stuff done and after all the research and crap you do for it..........It just seems to take all the fun outta making a project. So i'm researching RM2k3...      might not be as good but i dont need anything fancy. Just sideview battle and a good storyline

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sideview is often requested and used, but a lot of scripters will prefer a default frontview versus sideview. The reason is because it's much easier to customize a new battle system out of the frontview default, than to try and do the same from a sideview. I don't code, so I don't the details, but apparently the coding becomes much harder to reverse and change if it's sideview by default.

shiori4me

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, you have to think, frontview just requires a still picture, whereas sideview pictures look weird. 

But I do think that the ability to use those features in an area of effect manner where you can also shrink and move the battlers along the field should be utilized.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Working around an SBS is normally harder than the default front-view since most people that wants sideview wants moving sprite battlers too... So you might need extra precautions to take into account things like the duration of movement animations for the battlers etc, which in turn makes the logic a bit more complicated...

though as for harder, maybe just a little bit if any

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Sideview is often requested and used, but a lot of scripters will prefer a default frontview versus sideview. The reason is because it's much easier to customize a new battle system out of the frontview default, than to try and do the same from a sideview. I don't code, so I don't the details, but apparently the coding becomes much harder to reverse and change if it's sideview by default.
Well, sort of. You can think of side-view as simply VX's default battle system...with actor sprites.

I don't think it would take any additional effort to draw some actor sprites, since the scripts basically say "enable enemy battle sprites, disable actor battle sprites"

It'd be pretty much the same amount of work if you think of it that way.

You could probably add support for actor sprites in 5 lines of code with full compatibility with most scripts and now you've got a working sideview battle.

As Adik mentions it probably wouldn't LOOK very good, but it worked for NES era Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy so I don't see why not.

SoulPour777

Crownless King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Frame to Keyframe Animation Tab

Instead of the simple animation tab, the future RM should or remodel their animation like Adobe Flash, where it has keys and keyframe, not only for the purpose of adding animation for the battle and map scene, but also for animators who wants to make an animated cutscene for their games, by importing JPG files or importing drawings and animate them using a Puppet Tool, for animation.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
IMHO, that is a bit of complicated for a tool that is meant to be simple to use... :)

shiori4me

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Or at least be allowed to run gifs so that it doesn't have to include a powerful animation program

C-C-C-Cashmere (old)

Resident Weirdo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
IMHO, that is a bit of complicated for a tool that is meant to be simple to use... :)
"Simple enough for a child to use, yet powerful enough for a developer." As long as the functionality is hidden away from kids so they don't get too confused, I don't see why not.

Edit: Punctuation fixed.

shiori4me

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You also have to consider how big of a file and how much time enterbrain wants to put into development of RPGMakerBlahdeeblah

Omg, 

Change the pitch and speed of a sound file separately.

Auto-fade out or fade-to sound.

Play multiple BGM BGS and SE 

Cut to a specific part of a song

The audio capabilities of RPGMaker have been very limited. Ever watched a show where a song faded in from another one and jumped right to the climax of it? 

Or you hear two songs start to eerily mix together?

Or have it so that something's low but the same speed or something's slow but the same pitch?

And you don't want to have to set the volume to 100 then 90 then 80 then 70 then 60 and soforth?

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The audio capabilities of RPGMaker have been very limited. Ever watched a show where a song faded in from another one and jumped right to the climax of it? 

Or you hear two songs start to eerily mix together?
Agreed, it's very limited. You've stated my own thoughts many times. Not only cutting to a portion of the audio, but changes in pitch without restarting the track, being able to fast forward and rewind in the audio portion of the editor, and controlling events based on where the audio is at - for example, if I don't want an event to end and the scene to change until it reaches the end of the audio without having to set a ton of wait commands.

And yeah, mixing would be great. Somebody once was polling to see what track to make and taking votes. They had two that were okay when separated, but created a whole new eerie masterpiece when played together.

shiori4me

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The reason I say multiple bgs and me as well is that when people want to make dynamic sounds like standing inbetween two torches mid-distance away.

And is it just me, or does RPGMaker lag when processes are handled much more than other games?

You can do complex things on games with absolutely no lag yet when you do them on RPGMaker it lags easy, or gets skippy

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's an RM thing...

shiori4me

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Do you experience lag or skippiness on RPGMaker engines easy?

I just wanna make sure I'm not the only one.

I saw a Let's Play of an RPGMakerVXAce game on Youtube and it was lagging for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

forgot I drew Riley's message bust ages ago. They might be one of the most unique characters in the game so far.
37 years old...
What hath possessed me to start rapping, Lloyd only knows.

I think the worst part is, I am actually really good...

no... actually, the worst part is writing a song about bum rushing Gandalf to stop Frodo...
I don't even listen to rap.
Just finished v0.1 of FOSSIL. It's a plugin that lets you use MV plugins in MZ without editing them by making them use new functions.

I have about 40 plugins tested and working so far (including chrono engine and some other big ones). I hope that the community will pitch in and help improve it, so we can use all the old plugins in MZ. :)
I really lack discipline and find myself far too often giving into or at least seriously considering the temptation to start a new project rather than following through on a WIP that's no longer a shiny and new idea.

Does anyone have any strategies or tricks for making themselves follow through with things instead of doing this? Like that actually work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
srluca2000