Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
without the RTP, the makers would be useless for most - not everyone can provide its own artwork.

So the RM's will need that artwork for tiles, and that means the grid will always be fixed - they might decide to change the gridsize for a new program, but then the entire RTP would have to be for the new size...

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I never bothered with importing music in. It just seemed quicker for me to copy and paste them in.
It's not a big problem actually. Because there's alternative way. I still can export the music using resource manager from my "music player" project.

Though, importing music using resource manager seems quicker than open up window explorer which usually takes time to load (probably because my laptop is having lack of performance). When I'm working on project, I prefer to stay on the project window include importing resources. 

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If it would help I'd make an entire Iso RTP myself as long as it meant getting Iso graphic support.

Creative Ed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
without the RTP, the makers would be useless for most - not everyone can provide its own artwork.

So the RM's will need that artwork for tiles, and that means the grid will always be fixed - they might decide to change the gridsize for a new program, but then the entire RTP would have to be for the new size...
There's already so much art you can apply to your games already, I hardly think it would be necessary a new RTP to begin with, since even if they change the way graphics are read (like tilesets or characters) it's fairly easy to adapt.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I

If it would help I'd make an entire Iso RTP myself as long as it meant getting Iso graphic support.
I'm pretty sure the High Fantasy resource pack also has iso variants of their sprites.

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There's already so much art you can apply to your games already, I hardly think it would be necessary a new RTP to begin with, since even if they change the way graphics are read (like tilesets or characters) it's fairly easy to adapt.
It really depends on the format they go with next. If they stay with VX and Ace art style and format, then to some degree I can understand cutting back on the RTP since current resources could be re-used, especially with all the add-on packs. Although even with this, you'd risk turning off the casual hobbyist if the RTP doesn't appeal to them or is not included. Because while a more efficient and versatile program can really be beneficial in game developing hands, there are just as many people who probably are satisfied with what the current editor has and wouldn't care so much about added features in the next maker so much as the RTP that may or may not be included.

And while it may be true that these people can just stick with the current maker if they're worried more about having the RTP, Enterbrain may not feel that there is a large enough crowd willing to purchase the new maker solely for the features if the RTP is missing.

However, if EB decides to change to a new style of art and graphic/mapping format, then chances are good that the current RTP and add-on packs would become obsolete, clash with the new style, or wouldn't easily work with the new maker without first being re-formatted (especially if the way auto-tiles are handled winds up being different). In a case like this, not including a ready-to-use RTP could be the death toll for the next maker, because not very many would buy it until either somebody reformatted most of the current RTP and add-ons, or enough people started making resources that could be used in the next maker.

Now, what they could do is simply re-master some of the resources from the old makers and format them to be used in the next one. Not everybody is willing to use illegal versions of 2K/3 and wouldn't be aware of 2K/3's resources, and those that do would be happy to have them in a legalized editor. This way they're using a base for what's there without having to spend time trying to create new ones completely from scratch, and most of the audio from 2K/3 and XP have much better tracks than either VX or Ace. I'm sure this would still require a lot of work, but it may also save them time and money in the process, which in turn would hopefully mean more dedication to code and added features.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
o.o I'd love for layers to come back, mostly that's it for me.

Creative Ed

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It really depends on the format they go with next. If they stay with VX and Ace art style and format, then to some degree I can understand cutting back on the RTP since current resources could be re-used, especially with all the add-on packs. Although even with this, you'd risk turning off the casual hobbyist if the RTP doesn't appeal to them or is not included. Because while a more efficient and versatile program can really be beneficial in game developing hands, there are just as many people who probably are satisfied with what the current editor has and wouldn't care so much about added features in the next maker so much as the RTP that may or may not be included.

And while it may be true that these people can just stick with the current maker if they're worried more about having the RTP, Enterbrain may not feel that there is a large enough crowd willing to purchase the new maker solely for the features if the RTP is missing.

However, if EB decides to change to a new style of art and graphic/mapping format, then chances are good that the current RTP and add-on packs would become obsolete, clash with the new style, or wouldn't easily work with the new maker without first being re-formatted (especially if the way auto-tiles are handled winds up being different). In a case like this, not including a ready-to-use RTP could be the death toll for the next maker, because not very many would buy it until either somebody reformatted most of the current RTP and add-ons, or enough people started making resources that could be used in the next maker.

Now, what they could do is simply re-master some of the resources from the old makers and format them to be used in the next one. Not everybody is willing to use illegal versions of 2K/3 and wouldn't be aware of 2K/3's resources, and those that do would be happy to have them in a legalized editor. This way they're using a base for what's there without having to spend time trying to create new ones completely from scratch, and most of the audio from 2K/3 and XP have much better tracks than either VX or Ace. I'm sure this would still require a lot of work, but it may also save them time and money in the process, which in turn would hopefully mean more dedication to code and added features.
Yes, I understand what you're saying there, in the end RPG Maker is directed to the wider crowd and it makes sense to use the eye candy to bring people in, mostly because it's most of the software's purpouse: Install the program and make a game in minutes. Well if you'd have to make you're own resourses you wouldn't be able to make the game in minutes.

The thing is I think RPG Maker is now past the hobbyist only game development program, it's more and more walking towards a real game engine that even has games made on it being selled. So I think that despite having the hobbyist part (Make a game in minutes) they could really invest on making it a more powerful engine, one that could compete with other engines that don't require programming knowledge, such as Scirra's Construct or the good old Multimedia Fusion, but in it's own way, which I think it is what really gets RMK its merit.

As for the RM 2k/3 remaster and re-release I think it would be a really really good play by enterbrain, mainly because people would actually use the program legally and would have a good version of the programs that would work well and sable on nowadays computers, as well as with some improved features, it could become a standart program that could walk beside VX/Ace. That because it would really be more of a choice of the developer to have his/her game with a more classic look. It could be a way of Enterbrain walking two diferent paths with similar programs.

SoulPour777

Crownless King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The thing is I think RPG Maker is now past the hobbyist only game development program, it's more and more walking towards a real game engine that even has games made on it being selled. So I think that despite having the hobbyist part (Make a game in minutes) they could really invest on making it a more powerful engine, one that could compete with other engines that don't require programming knowledge, such as Scirra's Construct or the good old Multimedia Fusion, but in it's own way, which I think it is what really gets RMK its merit.
Enterbrain has to see that they are attracting a massive amount of users and they should at least compete to which is IN nowadays. If EB values their users and customers, they have to realize that a more reliable maker in the future should be their focus. What does it mean? They should make a multi-purpose held maker. I don't care if it is expensive, as long as it should get all the things I wanted to create as a developer. Things include:

• Console Capabilities
  • Android
  • iOS
  • Linux
  • Mac

Ultim

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
A
Primarily Uses
N/A
I hope that RGSS4 will be easier than RGSS3.And more improved !

Onomotopoeia

I don't know, nobody's told me yet.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
And for my own addition to the list of suggestions, what about eventing related to the map itself? Maps could have event pages for such prototyp-able occurences such as:

• when the map is loaded but before shown,
  • when the map is shown,
  • when a transfer occurs,
  • when the map is about to be unloaded,
  • when the map is actually unloading,
  • and probably one or two additional map-related actions.
Any number of eventing could apply to a map, as the map is an eventable entity itself.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I did mention this in another forum, and it is generally relevant. I am also someone who is trying to develop my own iteration of an RPG-Maker editor and engine combo, if at least because I have have many ideas for improving upon an rpg-maker
though in the Java programming language (having something for an Android platform as well as the desktop is of some interest to me); I'd also not choose Ruby-based scripting, but I am considering something like Lua, or some other Just-In-Time non-compiled class-based object-oriented scripting system, I just don't know what it'll be yet.
My idea of "map-based eventing", above, is just one of the ideas I'm really wanting to develop for my own editor-and-engine RM competitor project; and I could see that it could and would help immensely to simplify so many of the scripting and eventing tasks that are currently in use. Just a thought; being able to offload some of the common event code to hide or erase an "npc" event before the map is shown, based on event self-switches and self-variables, might be of reasonable use.
Having this list thread to compare with any RPG Maker's list of features is of importance to me, insofar as I get to know just what other game developers would decently expect of an editor as well as an engine.
An additional thought, in closing: it has been mentioned in this thread and on the Wikia page, that these suggestions are disorganized. My suggestion for consideration is, on the Wikia site, create at least four subpages of the suggestions page, for the following purposes:
  1. A page for suggestions related to the Editor-only, and editing projects.
  2. A page for suggestions related to the Engine-only, and playing games.
  3. A page for suggestions related to both Editor and Engine, where such overlap.
  4. A page for miscellaneous suggestions, regarding resources such as audio, video, pictures, and other assets.
Once the bulk of the suggestions page starts thinning down somewhat, then each subpage can be further organized with relative similarities being grouped under sub-headings. Lather-rinse-repeat, until the list is decently organized.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
What I personally would like to see is a move from Ruby to something that's fast in nature, sure you get 60fps with RGSS3 but Ruby in general is slow... 

I would rather see Python or Lua used than Ruby.

Another thing I'd like to see is user set dimensions for tiles "as charsets have had that since xp as long as the size is the same for every frame" this way you can have complex maps which are not possible without parallax mapping and a pixel movement script.  

I'd also like to see particles thrown into the engine, yes you can write a script but it's nice to have in the engine.   

I know RPG Maker will never be a pure dev tool as it's aimed for non programmers but does the scripting language but that only goes so far, I'd also like to see a RPG Maker that's more of a framework and the user writes the game instead of it being done for you, this opens new possibilities and also doesn't require haxes to get something to work that should be simple... 

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
RPG Maker is a framework. It provides some basic things like a database editor and an animation editor and a map editor. The whole thing is given to you...because that's what its purpose is: to help you make a game without having to worry about all that code.

Unless by framework you mean like a coding framework (eg: cocos2D, etc)

In which case, users that cannot code, or are not proficient enough to build a game engine (ie: the intended audience), would be absolutely alienated. I don't think I would even be able to write my own game engine.

Faye Valentine

The Mapgician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Everything is ok as it is right now. However, in 2k3 there were commands that were deleted on XP and also VX and Ace. Commands that are highly useful for the creation of evented systems (scripting doesn't mean all, you know) The deleting of these commands made the creation of evented systems more difficult.

Keep the database as it is on Ace (or improve it)

Bring back freakin' layers

That's all the new RPG Maker needs. For real. That'd be the definitive RPG Maker. 

Resolution? Why people care about that? i don't mind playing something in 544x416 or 640x480 that wouldn't change anything and won't make things pretty. Higher resolutions consume more RAM and needs higher graphics memory... not all people have expensive PCs not even decent PCs. Mine has 3GB RAM but only 128mb videocard... that's pretty awful. Speaking of PC comsuption, it'd be nice if you optimize the engine per se, so it doesn't lags because there are five events running at the same time. The XP lags easily, the Ace runs smoother because of 60fps but it is not too far from XP. It'd be cool if you could improve this. Anti-lag scripts doesn't help that much because they only work on events... what about when one tries to make cool ambientations for the game but because the map is somewhat big it lags like hell? Think about it.

These are just my thoughts. I may be wrong. Speaking of wrong, sorry if i made a mistake, English is not my first language and even if i speak it decently, this was a complex writing :p Anyways... my only question is: does enterbrain reads all of this? You have contact with enterbrain? Is something being considered? Because if not, this whole thread would be pointless, i think o.o

Edit: oh, as a suggestion, a "Fixed Image" checkbox would be cool in the "Show Image" command so people doesn't have to A) search a script and do the whole configuration for it or B ) Make a whole evented system that takes two variables per image as i did... :)

SoulPour777

Crownless King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
These are just my thoughts. I may be wrong. Speaking of wrong, sorry if i made a mistake, English is not my first language and even if i speak it decently, this was a complex writing :p Anyways... my only question is: does enterbrain reads all of this? You have contact with enterbrain? Is something being considered? Because if not, this whole thread would be pointless, i think o.o
Hmmm exactly though, its good to see if all these suggestions are actually being read by Enterbrain, maybe they could reply on this forum too.

cremnophobia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
What I personally would like to see is a move from Ruby to something that's fast in nature, sure you get 60fps with RGSS3 but Ruby in general is slow... 

I would rather see Python or Lua used than Ruby.
You're complaining about the performance of Ruby, but then you mention Python or Lua? Do you even know what you're talking about? The reference implementation of Ruby and Python have comparable performance. Some things are faster in Ruby, some other in Python. (And don't forget memory usage!)
Of course, alternative implementation of all three languages exist that are even faster. But people don't use them as much and I really doubt the RPG Maker programmers would.

That makes the choice of the programming language just a preference and the programmers of the RPG Maker prefer Ruby. Also, switching the language would be a bad idea, because all experience and knowledge the community and scripters have gained over the years would be “lost”.

Maybe you should complain about something else. Like the graphics engine. Or inefficient scripts.

Ralpf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Changing grid-size (or allowing isometric) would both require new artwork for each new form of mapping - and tilesets require a lot of work to be made, so I don't think there will ever be multiple grid sizes.

There might be a way to program that in as unsupported (that means only RTP for base grid size), but that would cause other problems...
I think there is a solution to that. Add in the support for isometric graphics, but don't put the graphics in the maker standard, add some as DLC at launch. The maker would come standard with both the capability for the current view and isometric, and will come with the current RTP (or a new version, whatever they go with). If you want  to make an Isometric game they would have sample graphics, enough to map stuff out and get stuff working, but you would need to make your own graphics, use some free ones (when/if people release some), or buy a tile set if want stuff to look decent. They could also have a package that comes with their isometric graphics bundled at a reduced price.

As long as they are clear as to what you are buying and that isometric graphics in the standard program are limited there should be no issue.

I wanted to add that I would be for the ability to use a higher resolution and release on more platforms, also, especially the later.

Onomotopoeia

I don't know, nobody's told me yet.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Differences in scripting languages possibilities aside, ... eh, I'm not sure anymore.

*snips*

That makes the choice of the programming language just a preference and the programmers of the RPG Maker prefer Ruby. Also, switching the language would be a bad idea, because all experience and knowledge the community and scripters have gained over the years would be “lost”.
No, not "lost"; 2000/2003 still exists, XP still exists, VX still exists, VX Ace still exists, and likely would, for a while. A new RPG Maker with a different scripting system would be a change for existing scripters; and sometimes you can (re)make something to be better when forced to start over. Say that you pick your engine of choice here, and completely rewrite it all in Python or Lua, wouldn't it be possible to have something just as good though in a different scripted language?
But people new to the maker wouldn't know the difference; they'd just learn according to the scripting design of the new editor. It's okay if RGSS dies a horrible death, right? (Being somewhat facetious with that, though in this case I really don't hold allegiance to one thing over another; why should Ruby necessarily be better than any other script?)

Or in other words, you wouldn't throw your hands up in the air and say "I give up, I quit this" if the next iteration of RPG Maker switched scripting in such a manner?

cremnophobia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I see your point and partially agree with you. That's why I've used quotation marks among other reasons.

Scripters usually learn from other scripters. Be it a tutorial, an explanation or their scripts. Old XP scripts were usually a complete mess. The default ones, too. And the SDK. Yeah, let's forget about that chapter.

Around the time VX came out, many new scripts were written in a much more compatible and cleaner way. Even for XP. Nowadays it still isn't perfect. It probably won't be ever. But it's much better than back then.

And I don't care much about the RGSS. It has its (many) flaws. But changing the language just because someone prefers another one is not a good reason. They didn't even care about updating Ruby in RGSS2. For every RGSS object 8 unused bytes are allocated (yeah, this isn't much in the end, but this is something that can easily be fixed). They can't even implement comparison correctly (was finally fixed in RGSS 3.0.1). Why expect from them to create a LGSS or PGSS? Because you think a rewrite is better? A rewrite is hard and time-consuming. I'm just annoyed that so many people care about speed (in general) and then don't even have a clue. I think the choice of Ruby is fine for this kind of RPG Maker. For faster things like manipulating pixels it isn't, of course.

If anyone wants to write their own RGSS (please don't do that, look at other game engines) or even a RPG Maker using Python or Lua, then I'm totally fine with that, too. (For example, RPG Maker 2003 has an unofficial extension which allows scripting in Lua.)

And to come back to “lost”: But even after switching the programming language a scripter's knowledge and experience aren't really gone. Some of it is still useful or can be used in the same or in a similar way in the other language(s). So maybe it is the wrong word. Even with quotation marks. I guess your and this post mostly clarify the intended meaning.

Zoltor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
OMG please make Common events set to autorun/Parallel proc, beable to run when in battle.

To do what a simple common event could pull of alone, if it could automatically run during battle, you need to do double the eventing, and depending what you want it to do, could be a royal pain in the but, where as if a single common event could handle such, it would be rather simple/straight to the point to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

unknown.png

I figured it was about time to update the battle sprite for one of my characters. The old one was the first time I ever drew a battle sprite, and filled with lines that shouldn't be there. So far, the new one is cleaner.
EQAQeW8.png

This was supposed to become her neutral talking stance, but now i just feel like she looks a little puzzled :D
I'm also open for any name suggestions, as i seriously suck at those. In my notes everything is just THE CITY or THAT GUY and THIS PRIESTESS or whatever :D
Nearing completion of the first major city of Albert, a vacation getaway city built a long time ago by a king who really didn't want to be invaded.
It’s definitely a great day to fit in some time for me to play no mans sky on PS4
Julyon.png

First concept art of one of our main characters love interests who might turn evil depending on her decisions. Or become king of the world. Or marry her. Maybe even everything at once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Musicalmoogle