Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Zarsla:  Not going to reply to everything but I thought I'd reply to the art stuff.

5.I

You don't ask for much do you?  A new RTP to go along with a new maker makes sense from Degica's standpoint but including and converting the old stuff would be a waste of time and money for them.  What would they gain from it that they wouldn't have anyway?

5.II

I think this is something that works better if it's external and not something included in the program.  An external tool automatically has more flexibility and is likely to have more art options and be easier to add to.

5.III

I agree with this one, mostly.  It's really hard on the artists though.  It's much easier to make new pieces than to make an existing piece again from a new angle.  Although this isn't true for someone who is working with 3D models.

Impossible.  The tilesets of the Makers work differently on a very basic level.  Converting tiles isn't just a matter of cutting and pasting, at some point things must be redrawn or drawn from scratch.  For example, Ace's tiles use 16x16 corners and XP uses 32x32.  What information of XP's tiles do you get rid of if you're making Ace tiles with them?  How do you now get the new corners to match up seamlessly?  Converting sprites isn't an issue though, there are already things that exist for this.  Something that incorporated that might be a nice bonus without detracting from the point of a new maker too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The only thing I would want different for the next maker is an optional XP-Style mapping system.

Oh! Before I forget, make the Anti-Aliasing on text optional as well. :)

Onomotopoeia

I don't know, nobody's told me yet.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Zarsla, I also had some nitpicks. I agree with some of the sentiment, but my practical side requires me to be a bit more analytical than that.

1.Better eventing in terms of lagging, (I use alot of events and I want less lagging)
The short response is, "Mmm, yeah, good luck with that." The more analytical part of me asks what exactly is lagging? Is it events with dozens of event pages and complex page conditions? Or some other unknown factor? Or, how many is "a lot" of events, and how large a map?
4.Built in fog genartor.
Like a strategy game "fog of war", or just environmental fog? In either case, I am presuming this to be a special circumstance and perhaps not necessary for most games. Why "built in"?
6.A final RPG maker, (let me explain before everyone freaks), similar to how VX Ace looked and felt like an updated and improved VX, the next one should be the final version they make. Once they make this one, they can upgrade the engine and such but you won't necessarily have to download a whole new software once you have it. Instead it's more like an massive update,this can also be slightly cheaper than buying the product fully outright but they can still make money.
I agree. But, could never happen -- at least, not in a commercial, closed-source project ... which is why I'm working open-source for my adaptation. Who knows, perhaps my work may also "never happen", but at least I've got actual code in a repository, for starters...
8.More event commands, like I want everything I can do with script calls to be evening, even if you have to break it up in to the event box we have now and an event box for all the script calls.
Actually, this piques my curiosity. With the proviso that I'd be interested in exactly which script calls would be the most-requested for inclusion into the eventing codes, there's room for even more event-code IDs in the source, though maybe it's time the devs re-number the numbers to something more linear. Break backward-compatibility, by all means, if it's more ordinal. (Me? OCD? Nah..)
9.More event triggers like events triggering other events, without the use of switches or what not...
I'm not exactly sure what the use-case on this would be. Could I get a practical suggestion for the how and why?
10. More self switches, like a lot more like unlimited self-switches (or at least 100).
This is also something I'm working on; the question is, exactly how many is enough? Better yet, again, the question of why or for what intended purpose
11.Along with number two more choice support, (I know that this can be done with scripts but still I want it built in) Eg a way to have longer choice options, disable/do not show and a way to have VX choice formatting (with more than 2 options) but with the capability to turn it off and on.
Along with the enlarged screen-sizes usable and with better improvements to screen layout for messages and choices, I agree that showing a larger list of selectable options would be excellent. But the question again is, how many a maximum? Personally, perhaps I'd aim for maybe seven or eight choices, maximum; I read somewhere, something about the typical human being able to handle seven items in a list at a time, and that's probably on the best side -- an eighth might be a bit confusing to some people. Don't quote me on that; I just cannot remember which website I read that on.

Xanthippe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yanfly, Kread-Ex, Yami and Venka (to name a few) all have great scripts that are very popular and widely used. Many of them should have already be in the current RPG maker with no need for the scripts. I think the next RPG maker should have many, if not all, these scripts integrated into the program eliminating the need to install scripts for many of these basic functions. (reflect, absorb, slippery tiles and system options, to name a small few) A crafting system and bestiary similar to Venka's and\ or Kread_ex's should be something to consider having its own tab in the Database window. I would mention better graphics but Celianna and Germania and a whole slew of others, have taken that to great heights themselves, greatly improving the detail in the artwork. Use their graphics in the next RPG maker. I think these people, scripters and artists, have worked hard enough to receive that kind recognition and to have their work appreciated enough to put into the program in a more official means.

So if you ask me what the next RPG maker should have? I would say that its already there, it just needs to be tweaked enough for non-script users to use it properly.

Rabbit_King89

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello. I've been playing around with Ruby, Ruby TK, RGSS2, RGSS3.    It would be Awesome if you can design the next installment with a Ruby TK option, to allow scripters to deveolp games that can use the OS windows corrisponding with the game.  This Adaptation would be best suited to allow games to have a online store built in so you can buy addons and special game items just as you would for a Mobile game.  This will also help add more Security for Developers and thier game.

Ruby Tk alone would be a major securit boost and rescource handeling, adding RGSS, Ruby TK, and Ruby on Rails will help make the next installment the most versital, and will allow for mmorpg game development.

one last thing I can personaly say would help alot, is a really up the sprite generators, and open up more graphics design to allow for easier custom graphic configurations for code monkeys like me who are horrable with graphic design lol.

MysteryMan23

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think I posted in this thread like, a long time ago, but I still feel like talking about things I'd like to see from the next RPG Maker.

1. Features in every tab of the database that has a list of things to modify, or some kind of equivalent. I like the flexibility of features, and would like to see that flexibility extended. On another note...
  2. Features that can take the place of note tags. Because seriously, was the notebox ever intended to have any effect on the actual game? It's just weird, is all.
  3. As mentioned before, some kind of way to assign a troop its own battle music. For that matter, the ability to do the same to maps.
  4. That it actually gets released some time before 2017. Because seriously, I feel like I've been waiting forever for the next big Tsukuru/Maker to come.

Banquo

scoundrel
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there really so little demand for a RPG-Maker: Tactics? Like for creating your own Shining Force, Fire Emblem, or perhaps even isometric-tactical-RPGs like Tactics Ogre! On the downside an isometric style would require a huge amount of graphic resources, for example attacking- and skill-sprites for all directions, for every battler, not to mention for different weapons.

But still, I cant seem to find a maker dedicated to the purpose of creating tactical RPG games. Why is no one trying to be the first to fill this gap?

Ace has its faults, but its definitely one of the best game makers available. I think most people are very happy with using either XP or Ace and wont rush into buying a new engine, unless its something really new, not a remake or upgraded version (except for XP Ace!).

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not really, given that you can code it on your own anyways... IMHO, there are far greater variations possible for a tactical system, which means the tactical maker wouldnt still possibly be able to cater to most people anyways..

On the why no one makes a specific maker for that, I do think there only a few specialized engines like RM. Most engine development is towards sandbox engines which can do almost anything that you want as long as you know how to, but doesnt do anything by default.

They are actually more sellable to industry devs anyway. Imagine if all engines are specialized, then youd need 1 engine per type of game..

IMHO, from a business point of view, doing a tactical maker isnt as viable as you might think.

amerk

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I speculate there would be a greater call for an ABS editor than a tactical. Maybe something simplified for beginners, with options for advanced.

For example, a simple set up of basic skills and the way they would work on the field, with set defaults of detection, maybe short-ranged weapons and skills looks for the enemy to be right in front of you, and long range for enemies to be 2 or 3 steps in front, and some other skills that attempt at detecting surrounding events.

Or perhaps a quick and easy to develop puzzle maker.

The problem, though, is everybody has different ideas and designs, that even something like this would be hard to please and keep simple at the same time. But the more complicated a program becomes, it starts to lose a portion of its audience.

Personally, though, I'd like to see more "engine" based programs off the current maker, similar to the way Luna Engine did, rather than a complete new maker. For example:

Retro Maker: Compiled with 8-bit and 16-bit like graphics (full RTP) and oldschool audio, along with default mechanics that recognize the old NES and SNES classics, including game play, puzzles, low stats, fonts, and whatnot, maybe even a level system similar to Final Fantasy 2 (NES) or job class systems similar to Final Fantasy IV (SNES).

We have a lot of talented resource artists, composers, and script writers, that simply using Ace as a means of creating such default engines would not be all that difficult, although the level of understanding for using such an engine would still probably be dependent on the user. We could do the same for a tactical system, an adventure (ABS) system, and onwards.

In fact, I've found the lack of such engines to be the one thing I've liked least about RPG Maker in general.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I wont really call Luna a program though as its still just a RGSS3 script collection... In which case we also right now have 3 base engines for ABS games, while for tactical theres only 1 that I know of... But still users usually do a lot of adjustments and edits, put in other scripts to create what they need, which shows how extensive the work is..

Graphics, audio, scripts, we got it all covered, basically.

It would of course be nice if more people will make other "engines" or alternatives to those we already have. But then most people I guess create these when theyre making their own game so

I wouldnt be surprised if they wont want to share it..

I wonder if it would be a good idea if Degica or EB taps into the user base to do some sort of official script sets. It might make more people interested in dabbling with scripting, and give people alternatives as there really is no one solution that fits all.

An official script listing that is accessible within RM would be really good though. It will help those looking for scripts.

Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'd like to be able to set up variables from the database rather than having to bring up the event editor. You could stick it in next to common events. And while we're on the subject of the database, it'd be nice if we could move the tabs around.

Rabbit, what is Ruby TK? It sounds vaguely nightmarish to me...

shentino

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ability to choose different battle systems, both in the area of presentation as well as mechanics.

Suggestions:

A.  presentation

1.  Side view

2.  Possible isometric view aka SMRPG

B.  mechanics

1.  ATB with progressive time bars that give combatants the opportunity to run a command...as well as status effects like haste and slow that affect the speed of the time bar.

2.  Super Mario RPG style where each combatant gets his turn in order of speed, and every combatant's turn is executed in full before choices are made for the next combatant's action.  This is my personal favorite way to battle.

Just as an aside, It is VERY annoying in a dragon quest type system like the one used for RMVXA where you have to pick everyone's actions BEFORE anyone does anything, and you wind up dumping an attack on an enemy that doesn't exist anymore, or if you try to heal someone but they die before the healer gets his turn and the cure gets dumped on someone who doesn't need it.

shentino

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Also:

1.  Event and map local variables/switches

Would allow for neater programming and keep the global variable/switch list tidy.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Also:

1.  Event and map local variables/switches

Would allow for neater programming and keep the global variable/switch list tidy.
You technically can do that with the scripting even command... 

But for it to be built in would save events used at least.

shentino

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
* Being able to use any number of sources for battle animations.  Right now we're limited to two.

* Ability to query the timer at a sub-second precision, perhaps asking how many frames are left in the timer, instead of just how many seconds.

* Ability to display the timer in subsecond resolution

* Should be able to use 0-frame delay/duration when changing the screen tint

* When shaking the screen should be able to set the angle as well as the strength and frequency

shentino

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You technically can do that with the scripting even command... 

But for it to be built in would save events used at least.
Not quite.

As far as I can tell the concept presently is restricted to "self switches" A-D

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
shentino, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

shentino

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
(sorry, fat-fingered my post)

* Make it so that when you start the timer at X seconds, it doesn't show up as X-1 seconds when it still expires on hitting zero.

* Allow setting the timer based on a variable

* Allow timer values to be event conditions

* Allow any number of event conditions

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think the limit on animation is to keep it working fine, add more images or no limit to image size would mean longer load times before the images can be used so it could cause visible delay during first loading of those images. RM is known for not having the best image processing system. You can also mix the animations anyway. The only time it will become a problem is if ur making a totally complex animations (which isn't really a good idea unless it's like something that we will only be seeing once). A better approach is just allow multiple animations to be used one after the other, I think.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Animations... Now you got my attention!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Messing around with fragment shaders (filters). This thing is HUGE and I'm surprised almost no one makes good use of. Even the number of plugins that do this stuff are limited.
ScreenShot_6_28_2022_3_2_40.png

There's 7 main areas in the game that are all connected. This train get's you from an underground lab to the center of someone's subconscious. inside the train you can talk to some of the passengers. but going to the top of it, there's battles.
Speedrunning all character portraits just so they all have the same quality. Not sure if this was a good idea, but now I'm almost done.
We now have a gameplay video!
DrBuni wrote on Akiritas's profile.
That is a cute Link picture, reminds me of the Samurai Jack artstyle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnceladusSnow