RMVXA Suikogarden *DEMO* Suikoden-inspired rpg

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by gvduck10, May 19, 2019.

1. gvduck10

gvduck10 Quacker Jack Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Premise
    A main component of the much beloved Suikoden series is recruiting many characters (typically 108) that help to grow your castle and your army. Suikogarden follows this tradition but with a smaller, more reasonable cast (currently 40).

Story
    What happens when a mother betrays her own children? Why would she do such a horrid thing? What happens to the kingdom left behind when their leader just disappears?

Feature: RUNES
    With 35 different runes and every character bearing two, making no combination exactly alike, so every member of your force is unique, and different party makeups will have different challenges and play styles.
    [All Runes]
    Bear
    Cyclone - advanced Wind rune
    Darkness - magic rune
    Earth - magic rune
    Edge
    Fire - magic rune
    Flowing - advanced Water rune
    Fury
    Gale
    Glass
    Hawk
    Hazy
    Icicle
    Kite
    Knight
    Lightning - magic rune
    Lion
    Mother Earth - advanced Earth rune
    Ogre
    Passion
    Prism - the Hero's magic rune (unique)
    Rage - advanced Fire rune
    Resurrection - magic rune
    Shield - magic rune
    Steel
    Thunder - advanced Lightning rune
    Torch
    Turtle
    Tusk
    Unicorn
    Viper
    Water - magic rune
    Wind - magic rune
    Wink - magic rune (unique)
    Wizard

Feature: HALL OF DESTINY
    As you recruit new characters, the Stars of Destiny become alight. Watch as your army grows and the Hall fills up.

Screenshots
    The Hall of Destiny allows you to track your progress. Each Star represents a character you will ultimately want to find and recruit:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The garden area/where most new recruits hangout
    [​IMG]
    Character screen shows stats, equipment, and runes:
    [​IMG]

Feature: NEW RECRUITS/GROWING CASTLE
    At first, only part of your base is accessible, but throughout time, additional portions are added; such as the barracks, an infirmary, shops, and more. Another reason to recruit every character and expand your fortress!
    [​IMG]

*UPDATED* DEMO V4.4 (10/20/2019)
    Download Link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/ku9qpzfrppqqunr/Suiko.exe/file

Updated demo includes: ~2 hours of gameplay, 28 recruit-able characters, new window colors, minor fixes, better EXP and $ rewards for faster growth and improved game balance, weapon levels, new shops, additional cutscenes, NPCs, dialogue, and world map dashing!

Current Project Progress (10/20/2019)
    Over an hour of gameplay has been completed. Castle Base, first three towns, several dungeons mapped. 28/40 Stars recruit-able with others introduced but not yet attainable. The total of 40 may increase if the game continues to grow. New cutscenes and additional dialogue has been added to create a fuller story. EXP and $ drops have been increased to help with scaling.

Can you collect all 28 stars?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  2. Guld

Guld Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Intriguing idea. Looking forward to seeing more.

Jeremiah Eastman and gvduck10 like this.
  3. WilsonScarloxy

WilsonScarloxy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I love how the maps are looking. Also interesting "runes" mechanics :)

4. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As a fellow Suikoden fan and Suikoden inspired dev,
    I wish you good luck and I'm looking forward to see the result of your work.

5. gvduck10

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Here is all the Magic Runes and their Spell Effects

Water/Flowing

Kindness Drop: Heals HP & Status, 1
    Ice Shards: Water dmg VS enemies
    Kindness Rain: Heals HP & Status, party
    Silent Lake: Silence all enemies
    Ocean Tear: Revives 1 ally

Fire/Rage
    Firebolt: Fire dmg VS 1 ene
    Dancing Flames: Fire dmg VS enemies
    Firewall: Fire dmg VS enemies
    Explosion: Fire dmg VS enemies
    Final Flame: Fire dmg VS 1 ene

Lightning/Thunder
    Thunder Run: Lightning dmg VS 1 ene
    Tempest Bolt: Lightning dmg VS 1 ene
    Storm Crash: Lightning dmg VS random enemies
    Furious Blow; Lightning dmg VS 1 ene
    Final Storm: Lightning dmg VS 1 random ene

Earth/Mother Earth
    Stone Skin: DEF Up, 1 ally
    Wrath: Dodge & Counter, user
    Canopy: Blocks magic, party
    Earthquake: Earth dmg VS enemies
    Terra Crush: All stats down, 1 enemy

Wind/Cyclone
    Fog of Sleep: Sleep, all enemies
    Healing Wind: Heals HP & Status, 1
    Shredding; Wind dmg VS enemies
    Silver Wind: Steals HP from 1 enemy
    Storm Shield; Reflects magic, user

Shield
    Silver Sheen: DEF Up, party
    Battle Oath: ATK Up, party
    Battle Blessing: Heals party
    Magic Field: MAG Up, party

Resurrection
    Starlight: Holy dmg VS 1 ene
    Recall: Revive 1 ally
    Light Arrows: Holy dmg VS enemies
    Revival: Revives party

Darkness
    Dark Bind: Multiple status effects, 1
    Lifesteal: Steals HP from 1 enemy
    Void: Instant death, 1
    Nexus: Dark dmg VS enemies

Prism (Hero's Rune)
    Arco Iris: Non-elemental dmg VS enemies
    Flash: Unbalance, all enemies
    Encase: Instant death, 1
    Fragmentation: Non-elemental dmg VS 1 ene

Wink
    Dusk: Blindness, all enemies
    Slow: AGI down, all enemies
    Reveal: Removes positive buffs, all enemies
    Starbreak: Non-ele dmg VS 1 ene

While these do not all appear in the demo yet, they have all been tested and many have new animations for the final product.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Jeremiah Eastman and atoms like this.
  6. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One of my all time favourite RPG Maker games is Legion Saga 1, 2 and 3, all made in the old RPG Maker 2000. These games were also based on Suikoden, so I'm looking foward to play your game as well. It's a really nice game concept, and I think it's a hard one to make.

Jeremiah Eastman likes this.
  7. gvduck10

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    5/30/2019
    A third, even longer & more complete demo is coming very soon. Would love someone to do a Let's Play once it's posted.

8. gvduck10

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    9/1/2019
    Demo V.4 uploaded to mediafire
    Updated original post

RECRUITMENT GUIDE {MAJOR SPOILER}

1 Prince/Hero - Automatically joins
    2 Queen/Princess - Automatically joins
    3 Sir Lucius - Automatically joins
    4 Sir Harald - Automatically joins
    5 Richter - Automatically joins
    6 Jericho - Talk to him at Archer's Respite and he will offer to join
    7 Gurt - Return to Archer's Respite w/Jericho after visiting Eastshore
    8 Ayana - Automatically joins
    9 Devon - Automatically joins
    10 Hisako - Automatically joins
    11 Okage - Automatically joins
    12 Lorabelle - Speak to her in Eastshore after acquiring the small boat
    13 Maximus - Pay him 700c in Eastshore after acquiring the small boat
    14 Gijo - Enter his camp outside Azure Lake & beat him in a fight
    15 Phineas - Automatically joins
    16 Duncan - Speak to him after saving Azure Lake village
    17 Lord Pyril - Automatically joins
    18 Madam Delilah - Automatically joins
    19 Banner - Speak to him in the Hall of Destiny after Azure Lake
    20 Isador - Bring him an Egg (Archers Respite or Azure Lake), Onion (Eastshore or Bellan Harbor), Potato (barracks or Eastshore), and Pepper (Azure Lake)
    21 Aria - Talk to her first in Azure Lake, then in Bellan Harbor, then lastly in Eastshore
    22 Etaru - After the bridge is repaired, go past Bellan Harbor and find the Grove, offer him food, then speak to him again to trigger a battle
    23 Sheer - Joins with Etaru
    24 Katar - Speak with him in the Snow Cave and agree to fight the monster, defeat it and he will join
    25 Wikki - Automatically joins
    26 Madea - Automatically joins
    27 Reynold - Find him in your base after obtaining the Blinking Mirror
    28 Genshi - Speak to him in Bellan Harbor with Hero's level > 11 & agree to fight him

Would be awesome if someone could record the demo (ie "Let's Play" video) so I could attach that to the OP.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  9. Dutch Power Creations

Dutch Power Creations Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Hey there,

Here is my revieuw;

- I love Suikoden too :mrsatan:!
    - I like the calming music, though I know it's RTP so you might want to find some other music to use (enough freebies around) for everything, make it less generic RTP game.
    - Though RTP I like the mapping.

- There is no alteration in the use of the standard RTP in a. Always nice to make edits or use more recources to stand out.
    - You instantly get an area to go around in with technical features information without anything of the story being told yet, let the player expierence a part of the story first. I would just let them say different things till the player hits the point that he would need the feature.
    - The 'castle' looks like a sewer to me :barf:, you really need to 'royal feel' to convince me that that should be a castle.
    - I don't like you walk onto edges of maps, feels limited/confound and looks weird if you have a big screen and the character walks all the way to the side of it. Make the map bigger and put the transition point further onto your map.
    - Tiles are mixed for modern set with medieval set and that feels weird. For example; the beds in eastshore are hospital beds made from metal, mediaval would be wood.
    - Not my cup of tea running around in houses stealing stuff and treasure, I don't mind looting outside though but stealing peoples stuff feels weird. In my game let the player know that the chests in houses are there meaned as 'supply's' and you need a key to open them given to you by the leader of each tribe (my game again).

- Screen size at start up should be much bigger, the size is now is as big as a game boy. Though you can alter it manually there are no options to do so in the menu.
    - At the start of the game; Transition to a empty map first and then transfer the player into the first map so it doesn't show the player on the map.
    - Richter gives the same message twice, I recommend giving him another event page after talking to him the first time.
    - Would like an options menu with the option to put DASH ON or OFF cause now I am holding shift the whole time; player convience.
    - Jericho joins way to easy without any real motive, in reality he is tagging a long with some strangers just cause they are going through a pass, make it more interesting like he needs to go there for a reason or needs something in that pass but it is full of danger and he needs help and after that he thanks you and you (choice) ask him if he would like to join your army.
    - If you fight the Manakin you have a 'free' heal. Also I have not seen any other point yet where I can heal, don't know if it is already there but maybe let the player now they can heal in the bed in the castle (take a rest option) and refresh?
    - I can't enter Jericho's house though he joined me, that feels weird.
    - The items that can be found in the pass are all in the corners? That feels so generic lame >_>. Make it feel more random.
    - You can cast ENCASE on the assisin that makes it feel way to easy... Make the 'mini bosses' immune I would say.
    - The women in eastshore pub says the same thing if you pick the other answer, feels lame...
    - After you traveled through an area change the event page so you can instantly move through it so you don't have to walk through (for example) the pass anymore. It's a bit annoying D:<
    - Why can I see a city in a forest but can't enter the forest? That feels unsatisfying, just give me a message at least that I can't enter it yet or something like that.
    - A jelly using stone skin? :guffaw:
    - The secret get away in the castle brings you straight too the assasins hideout... How convenient for the story and well hidden they are. :ninja: Just no... And they call off the contract and send you on a mission to kill a beast... How convenient... Just way to much sorry but I find this in most of the game so far.
    - I can't return to the assasin village to heal up? I have multiple of these 'trap' points in the game (sewer of the castle).
    - Why have eqieupment stores when everything is way to expensive? Do you want your players to be grinding the whole time to get that 1 armor piece and then grind again? Maybe close them off till the point where the player can actually use them.
    - Ok, so you kill the beast and they end the contract... then they join you because they are curious why the queen put up the contract though they first said they do not ask questions and just fullfill a contract... Please read this point again and I hope you really get the convenience level.

I kinda stopped playing at the point the convience of this game was pissing me off and killing off all my interest. I love Suikoden and I certainly can feel where this is going and that fact kept me playing but you really need to up your story. So to conclude; I think this DOES have potential but currently it isn't interesting enough to keep me onboard. I do hope all the feedback points help you out and that you enhance your story writing skills so this turns out into a wonderfull game!

10. gvduck10

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Responses:

- I like the calming music, though I know it's RTP so you might want to find some other music to use (enough freebies around) for everything, make it less generic RTP game.

There IS custom music throughout the game and the demo, it is not all RTP.

- Tiles are mixed for modern set with medieval set and that feels weird. For example; the beds in eastshore are hospital beds made from metal, medieval would be wood.

Literally, every JRPG :guffaw:

- Jericho joins way to easy without any real motive, in reality he is tagging a long with some strangers just cause they are going through a pass, make it more interesting...

Every Suikoden game has a mixture of characters who join whimsically with little to no explanation and characters that you have to work for (certain items, sidequests, certain level, particular person in your party, etc) He is the Hannah of Suikoden 2... But I have added additional dialogue for him throughout.

- At the start of the game; Transition to a empty map first and then transfer the player into the first map so it doesn't show the player on the map.

I like this idea.

- If you fight the Manakin you have a 'free' heal. Also I have not seen any other point yet where I can heal, don't know if it is already there but maybe let the player now they can heal in the bed in the castle (take a rest option) and refresh?

This is intentional; there is an option to sleep in the bed in the castle it just wasn't added yet. Also, every town has an inn.

- You can cast ENCASE on the assassin that makes it feel way to easy... Make the 'mini bosses' immune I would say.

Shhhhh, that's a trick!

- The women in Eastshore pub says the same thing if you pick the other answer, feels lame...
    - Why can I see a city in a forest but can't enter the forest? That feels unsatisfying, just give me a message at least that I can't enter it yet or something like that.
    - Why have equipment stores when everything is way to expensive? Do you want your players to be grinding the whole time to get that 1 armor piece and then grind again? Maybe close them off till the point where the player can actually use them.

You need to play further into the game.

- After you traveled through an area change the event page so you can instantly move through it so you don't have to walk through (for example) the pass anymore. It's a bit annoying D:<

Ahem, Blinking Mirror. Again, further into the game. Are you sure you've played Suikoden? :distrust:

- The secret get away in the castle brings you straight too the assassins' hideout... How convenient for the story and well hidden they are. :ninja: Just no... And they call off the contract and send you on a mission to kill a beast... How convenient... Just way to much sorry but I find this in most of the game so far.
    - OK, so you kill the beast and they end the contract... then they join you because they are curious why the queen put up the contract though they first said they do not ask questions and just fulfill a contract... Please read this point again and I hope you really get the convenience level.

As I continue to expand the game, I continue to add additional dialogue and NPC's that help "flesh out" the story more, but if you didn't complete the demo, there's still a lot you haven't seen :ninja:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  11. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    From your reply, it seems that this is aimed exclusively at those who have played Suikoden, in that this seems to be the reason why something is the way it is, even if it doesn't appear to make sense. Are you sure you want to limit your potential audience in that way?

And to say that it is necessary to play further into the game in order to understand why something is unhelpful/unsatisfying etc. could be a little short sighted. If I, as a player, am finding something unsatisfying, it is highly likely that I will not play further into the game, I'll just close it and play something else. And I don't see how playing further into the game sorts out issues with NPC dialogues remaining the same no matter which option you pick. Lively, contextual, NPC dialogue adds a lot to a game, imo.

And on a side note - no, not every JRPG has metal beds where one would expect wooden. In fact quite a number don't.

12. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Also I should add that just because game x did it does not mean you should do it. Part of being a developer is looking at features critically and updating them or fixing them. So sure, you might be trying to imitate Suikoden, but if they do something poorly that is no reason for you to do it still.

I say this as I saw someone try to imitate Eterian Odyssey and in the end they took all of the annoying parts of the game and none of the fun parts of the game, and it was a terrible game in the end as a result. So just take this as a cautionary tale so that you don't fall into the same trap.

Jeremiah Eastman and atoms like this.
  13. gvduck10

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    To clarify: I absolutely understand and agree with the storyline criticism. I have been aggressively trying to create enough world for people to play through and experience the "growing castle" effect - which I have started to accomplish with the addition of shops (which are at first empty, but later get filled when you recruit those characters). Remember *THIS IS A DEMO*, this is not a finished product. I am creating the framework for the game, but constantly going back and adding in new items, extra dialogue, other NPCs, more options, tweaking EXP/$ drop rates, adding new enemies, etc. all to create a fuller world. The DEMO is meant to draw attention and drum up interest in the project. If you expect perfection, I apologize, but that's not why I created the demo (if it were polished and perfect, I would have published in the Completed Games threads).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  14. gvduck10

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    DEMO was updated today: 6/8/2019

More cutscenes, more dialogue, faster EXP growth, increased $ drop from enemies, new town completed, dashing now enabled on world map

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    atoms and Jeremiah Eastman like this.
  15. Jeremiah Eastman

Jeremiah Eastman Gladiator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey there, I love games with lots of characters you can use like this so I gave your game a try. I had a lot of fun playing through the game. I really liked how the story was paced the cut scenes were well timed and not to long so people won't get bored by them, always a good thing.:smile:Recruiting the pig was quite a surprise by the way.

I pretty much always fought when attacked but there came a point in that tower you go to right after you get the boat where I was not able to keep up against all the battles. It was very nice at that point to see there seemed to be no hindrance in being able to run from a fight. Until that plant boss battle.:smile: That was the first time I had died, tough fight there.

Since I am also a game dev. I like to look around for bugs when I play a rpg maker game. Not to expose it just to help the games dev. if I can find any bugs for them to fix up. I was a little surprised that the game had very few bugs for being an early demo. You have done a really good job of closing off any chances where bugs would tend to pop up, so well done there.:smile:

I also wanted to say I really like your enemies in the game. Really nice graphics on them. I'm not sure if they are stock or not, I use side view characters for my enemies, but I really liked them. I also really liked your vendor fodder, "wares". I am always a fan of vendor fodder in rpgs, they add nice flavor to the world. Your fodder is well done, they all feel like unique items that you might come across in your travels.

As for bugs/issues, I did find a few little things I thought I would point out in case you hadn't noticed them yet. Nothing big at all just minor things.

In Archers Respite there are two spots on the rock wall you can climb up that there are leaves. You can walk on those leaves so you are walking on the wall.

In that Tower you come to, after you get the boat, sorry I forgot the name. There is a crack graphic on the walls of floor 2 and 3 that you can walk on. So just another case of needing to block it in the tile set.

Also The screen size was kinda rough. I have a new monitor so not sure if that had anything to do with it but the game was tiny for me and you can't resize it. Again nothing major, I know it's just a demo but your players will have a better over all experience if they can resize that window in any way. I still was able to play through the game just fine, just had to squint.:smile:

In wooded path, right at the beginning, to me that zone feels like the encounter rate is pretty high. My first time in the zone I wanted to check all the areas for possible loot so I spent more time there than you do when traveling through there later. I was attacked a good 20 times in the small area my first time. I was getting attacked every few steps. I know Rpg makers encounter rate can be wonky, I may have just had some bad luck.:smile:You may want to look into lowering the encounter rate there slightly though, although I know later when going back and forth you would tend to b line for the other side of the zone so it isn't so bad, usually got attacked 3 times on a run through the zone. Just thinking as a first impression of the area and being so early game when you first go through there it would be easier on the player with less encounters there.

The last little thing I noticed was in your dialogs when you change the color of important words or places to blue it can be very hard to read, because the window is also blue. I know from my own game players don't like that.:smile: The easiest fix would probably to change or edit the window screen but that's all your call.

Well that's it. From experience with my own game no matter how hard I try and much I test, there is always issues. The fact that you have so few and they are all minor things is something to be proud of. Over all I really like the game and will definitely keep playing it. I look forward to seeing where it goes. Keep up the good work, you have a fun game on your hands.:smile:

Biestmann and gvduck10 like this.
  16. gvduck10

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks, I will double check pass-ability on those darn tile sets. The screen size issue I have NO IDEA how to fix. In full screen mode it "stretches" on my PC also, but if I don't let the monitor "auto resize" then it remains full screen, but if I let it auto adjust the resolution, it makes it tiny. Not sure how to fix that.

Thank you for playing though and I am glad you liked it so far!

17. Jeremiah Eastman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey there, so I thought I would do some looking into the window size thing for you. I'm not familiar with xv ace, I use mv, so I didn't really know any of the trick. Turns out I was able to go full screen by pressing alt + enter. The game looked good to me for going full screen this way. I'm really looking forward to my next play through. Just thought I would let you know about that in case you weren't aware of it. Maybe you could put a dialog in the beginning of the game somewhere for players like me that didn't know I could go full screen that way.

18. gvduck10

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    OMG thank you! I will definitely test this out myself and once confirmed, I will definitely add a text box at the beginning.

19. Jeremiah Eastman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cool cool, I hope it works for you. I know you said other methods you tried looked streched but for me on my monitor it looked good. I am only using a 24 inch monitor, not sure if that matters.

20. gvduck10

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It totally works! I have added a info textbox at the beginning of the game and also offer it as flavor text on one bookshelf. So long as you don't auto-adjust the resolution (which I also mention). THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!