Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really enjoyed the demo. You certainly have the makings of what made Suikoden so enjoyable. Random recruitable allies are a must, and I liked how you added some character depth to the archer's reasoning for staying. "Can't stand to see children treated this way," etc. As was said previously, the character development will be a massive undertaking when you offer so many different playable characters, and you'll want to continue to explore each person's motivations for joining your hero.

Another must have for a Suikoden-based game is sudden and close-to-the-heart political turmoil that kicks off almost immediately and begins to drive the story and central focus of your main character. I think you did that expertly here, and in short fashion, I was already wondering about the motivations of the Queen, and the implications of such actions against her own children. There was also a level of doubt introduced in the town gossip when you went to retrieve your sister. If the leader there wished to see the Queen dethrowned, what better way to do so than to have people believe she'd done something atrocious?

All in all, I think you are well on your way here to a very faithful and enjoyable homage to the early days of Suikoden, and I'd love to see you finish it. From a general gameplay perspective, the dialogue wasn't bad, the battles were balanced, and the learning curve for the different abilities was easy enough to follow. I liked that you allowed the player to name their character, that was a nice touch. I also found the explorability factor was instantly heightened when I realized put things in jars and on shelves! While this can certainly be overdone, it makes the player curious to see what they can find, and the inner scavenger goes nuts!

I'll follow this project, though I know you've said you don't intend to finish. Really like what you have so far. Well done.

gvduck10

Quacker Jack
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
THANK YOU FOR PLAYING and all your feedback! I currently don't have the time to continue working on this project but it was definitely my intention to go back and add more depth to every event later on. In fact, I had done so periodically. There's a lot more content in this version than earlier ones.

Ok I have played your game. Well, the graphic is good, mapping is good too. It resemble a lot Suikoden series, but there is one thing, who left me completely stun and I'd like to ask a question about this part. The game is a demo and in the final version will start like this or you are going to add an intro sequence? What I want to tell is that for what I have played, even if the story could be nice, it isn't in the end. Seems more a list of events one behind the other.
For making a better explanation: you start in the castle with few dialogues, you have other two people joining you for reaching a city, without an intro who explain something about the world building, you start in a castle with some stars of destiny, but where they come from? Then you proceed and you recruit a random hunter guy and you face an assassin. All this in 10 minutes without any sort of explanation. Seems more a list of things... But I have thought that's because it's a demo and you only want to show us the mechanics a little of story ecc. If is that the reason, than I think it's potentially very good as a start point, if not I think you cannot show the skeleton and bones without some side.
But I leave the final word to you about that. Because if the final version is this, you must put something to link the event and a little of explanation in them. That's what I think and hope to be of some use for you with my feedback. Another little thing I suggest, is that you let the player find too many objects in shelves, but that is a minor problem.

gvduck10

Quacker Jack
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
THANK YOU FOR PLAYING and all your feedback sincerely!!!
My best friend loves finding hidden items and it's something I miss too about old school JRPGs. I'm glad you found everything to be pretty balanced - that can definitely be a challenge.
One thing I played with a little was going back into each major story event and having different dialogue depending on who was in your party at that moment. It definitely adds personality to the characters you pick.

Really enjoyed the demo. You certainly have the makings of what made Suikoden so enjoyable. Random recruitable allies are a must, and I liked how you added some character depth to the archer's reasoning for staying. "Can't stand to see children treated this way," etc. As was said previously, the character development will be a massive undertaking when you offer so many different playable characters, and you'll want to continue to explore each person's motivations for joining your hero.

Another must have for a Suikoden-based game is sudden and close-to-the-heart political turmoil that kicks off almost immediately and begins to drive the story and central focus of your main character. I think you did that expertly here, and in short fashion, I was already wondering about the motivations of the Queen, and the implications of such actions against her own children. There was also a level of doubt introduced in the town gossip when you went to retrieve your sister. If the leader there wished to see the Queen dethrowned, what better way to do so than to have people believe she'd done something atrocious?

All in all, I think you are well on your way here to a very faithful and enjoyable homage to the early days of Suikoden, and I'd love to see you finish it. From a general gameplay perspective, the dialogue wasn't bad, the battles were balanced, and the learning curve for the different abilities was easy enough to follow. I liked that you allowed the player to name their character, that was a nice touch. I also found the explorability factor was instantly heightened when I realized put things in jars and on shelves! While this can certainly be overdone, it makes the player curious to see what they can find, and the inner scavenger goes nuts!

I'll follow this project, though I know you've said you don't intend to finish. Really like what you have so far. Well done.

Gabrelik

Almighty Maker of Sandwiches
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That would make for a more dynamic playthrough, and increase the fun when going back through a second or third time. Good idea if you get back to the project!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

When can we get this?
RPG Maker MZ Saturn.png
Saturn port when?
I'm new to rpgmaker mv, link me some good stuff to learn.
Finally, I have graduated from college and now I can put a lot more work into my game, after having not worked on it for the better part of a year.
post so i can change my profile picture ^^
Creating Some art for a fighter game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Provisio